I just ordered a smart electric drive, Does anyone else out there ordered one?  My dealer had a hard time finding out what options I could get.  This will be my 3rd smart.  Smart number one was a passion 2008, number two was a convertible 2011 and now number three electric drive convertible.  Drive smart out there and have a GREAT 2013  :)

Views: 694

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As I understand it, Art, a 30% break for the plug (up to $1,000) and $7,500 on the car (reducing it to $17,500), which doesn't begin to cover the cost of rewiring the electric and installing the charging station and which still leaves the car significantly more than a standard gasoline Smart Car.

Being green is expensive!  Wonder how long it will take me to make up that difference in gas savings.

Art Iworsley said:

I believe that you get a tax credit for both the car and the upgrade plug :)
Jeffrey Myers said:

I just found out how many thousands it's going to cost to get the 240 charging station set up.  Think I'll go with the regular plug.

The price of being an early adopter - and thanks to all of you buying or leasing the new electric drives.  The more of these and similar cars being sold, the faster the infrastructure will catch up.  Relatively early days for alternative power but we'll eventually reach a point where the charging stations are not so much a rarity and the price will reflect that.

Jeffrey Myers said:

As I understand it, Art, a 30% break for the plug (up to $1,000) and $7,500 on the car (reducing it to $17,500), which doesn't begin to cover the cost of rewiring the electric and installing the charging station and which still leaves the car significantly more than a standard gasoline Smart Car.

Being green is expensive!  Wonder how long it will take me to make up that difference in gas savings.

Art Iworsley said:

I believe that you get a tax credit for both the car and the upgrade plug :)
Jeffrey Myers said:

I just found out how many thousands it's going to cost to get the 240 charging station set up.  Think I'll go with the regular plug.

My niece went to the Santa Monica test drive and her husband found out that:

If you build a 240 V charging station in your home, it costs about $1,800 and you can get a government credit of $2,500. It will charge on this in 6 hours.

My electrician yesterday gave a much higher price.

Arvind Kumar said:

My niece went to the Santa Monica test drive and her husband found out that:

If you build a 240 V charging station in your home, it costs about $1,800 and you can get a government credit of $2,500. It will charge on this in 6 hours.
At the minimum you need a 240v line running to your garage or driveway (same as washer/dryer voltage) at 15amps (3.3kw power). Use this with the cord that comes with the car. Any electrician can do this for a few hundred $. In Europe, they don't pay this much since their standard is 240v. Many YouTube videos about this.

If you want "smart" charging with vendor hardware, timers, iPhone app, etc. expect to pay ~$1800.

Arvind, is the $1800 just for the station, or does that include installation?

Thanks,

Jeff

Arvind Kumar said:

At the minimum you need a 240v line running to your garage or driveway (same as washer/dryer voltage) at 15amps (3.3kw power). Use this with the cord that comes with the car. Any electrician can do this for a few hundred $. In Europe, they don't pay this much since their standard is 240v. Many YouTube videos about this.

If you want "smart" charging with vendor hardware, timers, iPhone app, etc. expect to pay ~$1800.

I received my new Smart ED last Wednesday.  My other car hasn't left the driveway since.

Note: for those looking to just use the regular wall plug for charging, unless you live in Europe with standard 230v outlets, you will be looking at about 16 hours to charge from a completely discharged battery.  I'm looking into chargers as we speak.

16 hours!  Yikes!

Marc Hanna said:

I received my new Smart ED last Wednesday.  My other car hasn't left the driveway since.

Note: for those looking to just use the regular wall plug for charging, unless you live in Europe with standard 230v outlets, you will be looking at about 16 hours to charge from a completely discharged battery.  I'm looking into chargers as we speak.

Yup, the documentation I had before hand wasn't too clear on that.  It was referring only to a 230v receptacle. The minimum charging time, based on the standard 3.3kw onboard charger is about 5.5 to 6 hours regardless of how powerful the charging station is.  I have a feeling they are going to get a lot of retrofit orders for the 22kw onboard chargers to enable maximum benefit from rapid chargers.

Clipper creek has a 240v 16amp charger on sale for $595 dollars.  This seems to be the best deal out there right now.  In Ontario we have a rebate for chargers + install costs up to $1000 or 50% which ever is less.

Jeffrey Myers said:

Thanks,

Jeff

Arvind Kumar said:

Bosch Keba Connected station HW only is $1628, I am reading it as installation extra:

http://www.pluginnow.com/charging_stations

Jeffrey Myers said:

Thanks,

Jeff

Arvind Kumar said:

Does anyone know if a 3 1/2 kw charger is sufficient for the Smart Electric car?

Thanks,

Jeff

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos