Now that Penske is officaly out of the smart game, and MB USA is in, what is being done to help out those parts of this country that are left without a dealer.  We were promised when those Wonderful independent dealers  were shut down that something else would take there place. 

I just checked the dealer locator and several parts of the country (entire states) that used to have dealers and still have owners now have no support from MB USA.

If you are one of them check in here.

For myself I have to admit I got a new dealer much closer than my old one, but this is now the only dealer north of the IL line.

Views: 87

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Some of the Canadian owners swear by those pumps, even on the 451 models.  Personally I like to check the condition of the filter for the oil pump intake.  PS - ask your agent how he changes his oil...

Alan F. Webber Sr. said:
I just got this car Friday, a 2008 Passion.  My insurance agent has a 2008 and told me no drain plug and filter up at right top of engine.  I believed him and didn't look.  Thanks for the info, I checked and yes to drainplug and filter on bottom right.  Now I wish I hadn't ordered the $50.00 oil drain pump!
He uses a $75.00 airpcraft pump.   I guess his Cabrolie must have been built before the change.  He also uses the 0-20 oil to get 44MPG in town.  When I told him the Chandler dealer uses 5-40 he said it caused his car to only get 30 MPG.  The temps here get over 100degrees and the 5-40 is definetly needed.  I was not going to copy his oil choice. 

Actually the MB dealership is already in Tucson. They are just building and moving to another location in August. Spoke to the service advisor today...he said they can do "minor" service on smarts at this time. He also said they have not gone to any formal smart training and they really don't have any parts. He also said the present service location doesn't have anything computerized. He doesn't know if the new location will be.

He said that MBUSA was having problems getting MB signing contracts to sell/service smarts. At this time, he doesn't even know if they will even carry smart.  Has anyone else heard this ???? 

Alan F. Webber Sr. said:

Here in Arizona there is only the dealership in Chandler, AZ.  A new MB dealership is being built in Tucson, AZ.  Rumer has it that it will include smart, but the sales people at the old site on Speedway Blvd.  denigh any knowledge of this being a fact.  Guess we wont know untill it opens in August.

For those of us into driving around in convoys, now there is a reason other than just "Hey, look at me! I'm driving around in my car!" If there's no dealership near you, find a reputable independent garage nearby (you know the type...there's always somebody who only fixes Volvos or Jags or some such), line up about umpteen smarts, and drive 'em to his store. Then tell him, "Buy the manuals, learn the car...look how much business is sitting out here just for you..."

Cool Idea.

MJB
jackb said:

For those of us into driving around in convoys, now there is a reason other than just "Hey, look at me! I'm driving around in my car!" If there's no dealership near you, find a reputable independent garage nearby (you know the type...there's always somebody who only fixes Volvos or Jags or some such), line up about umpteen smarts, and drive 'em to his store. Then tell him, "Buy the manuals, learn the car...look how much business is sitting out here just for you..."

It appears that MB is not requiring a separate Smart Center building anymore.  Our new MB dealer in Sarasota just put a Smart Sign on the front of the building.  Less expense will probably encourage more MB dealers to pick up the brand. 

BB

Penske tried that but there were several original smart centers which were not stand alone - just revamped portions of the existing dealership (Dallas was one of the first ones like that.)  Mercedes is upgrading their dealerships to the Autohaus concept which appafrently will provide space for a smart center (haven't seen one in the flesh yet but the new smart center Cincinnati is in an existing Mercedes dealership so I'll check it out.)

Robert Barr said:

It appears that MB is not requiring a separate Smart Center building anymore.  Our new MB dealer in Sarasota just put a Smart Sign on the front of the building.  Less expense will probably encourage more MB dealers to pick up the brand. 

BB

Yes, the new dealership here in Sarasota is an Autohaus showroom.

jwight said:
Penske tried that but there were several original smart centers which were not stand alone - just revamped portions of the existing dealership (Dallas was one of the first ones like that.)  Mercedes is upgrading their dealerships to the Autohaus concept which appafrently will provide space for a smart center (haven't seen one in the flesh yet but the new smart center Cincinnati is in an existing Mercedes dealership so I'll check it out.)

Robert Barr said:

BB

My seatbelt buckle quit working, my dealer closed June 1 I called MBUsa to find out if they could authorize a MB Dealer in my area to replace the seatbelt buckle. I believe that there is a federal regulation that the automaker is to fix any safety equipment that fails even if its outside of the standard warrantee.

So here is the voicemail I received on Friday.

"I spoke to someone responsable in the expansion of smart USA and he said that within the next month they are going to reach out and see what the possibilites are to have a dealership in the state of Minnesota other than that I can't say forsure if they will have a dealer. I would recommend reaching out to us within a 3 to 4 month time span and see where we are..."

I guess MBUSA is OK with me driving around with no seat belt buckle?

Joe,

I think you'll need to elevate this - as it's a safety issue try reaching Tracey Matura or someone on her staff at Montvale, NJ.  Not only is it a safety issue but a huge liablity issue if you were to be injured as a result of the defective sealtbelt not being repaired.  Just my .02.
SmartJoeMN said:

My seatbelt buckle quit working, my dealer closed June 1 I called MBUsa to find out if they could authorize a MB Dealer in my area to replace the seatbelt buckle. I believe that there is a federal regulation that the automaker is to fix any safety equipment that fails even if its outside of the standard warrantee.

"I spoke to someone responsable in the expansion of smart USA and he said that within the next month they are going to reach out and see what the possibilites are to have a dealership in the state of Minnesota other than that I can't say forsure if they will have a dealer. I would recommend reaching out to us within a 3 to 4 month time span and see where we are..."

Pretty poor response though you have to admit. Our "new" Smart center here for Colorado is in the MB dealer in Westminster, a suburb of Denver. I'm thinking of calling them soon just to ask the availability of parts they have on hand after reading many horror stories of having to wait and wait. Previously, our Smart center here before it closed had to back order a body panel that took over a month to arrive. Mercedes still needs to step this up, get on the ball, and decide to either support this car with parts, or NOT sell and support it. No one will buy this car if they have to drive to another state to either buy it or service it, and MB is STILL dragging their feet on parts supply and distribution...

jwight said:

Joe,

I think you'll need to elevate this - as it's a safety issue try reaching Tracey Matura or someone on her staff at Montvale, NJ.  Not only is it a safety issue but a huge liablity issue if you were to be injured as a result of the defective sealtbelt not being repaired.  Just my .02.
SmartJoeMN said:

FYI, Unlike smartUSA the new MBusa parts distribution will be in five locations across the USA (similar to the MB parts). smartUSA had just one. Great improvement, don't you think?

MJB

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.