On three separate occasions my '09 Cabrio AC was functioning normally when I parked the car. I do not normally shut off the fan and ac, I just turn the ignition off. On each occasion, the ac was working normally when I parked, and then when I start the car the next time- the fan does not operate. Changing the fan speed, switching the ac on and off, flipping the vent damper control position, shutting off and restarting the car...nothing will cause the fan to operate. Everything else seems to work- windows, stereo, wipers, etc. etc. If I drive the car for a while, the fan does not magically come back on, but...if I again park the car, shut it off, then come back and restart in 5 minutes, or in one instance, the next morning...fan works fine.

I have 8000 miles on the car, and these incidents have happened one to two months or more apart. The fan has never stopped functioning while I was driving, including on rough roads.

Any thoughts?

Aloha

Views: 914

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is a easy way to clean the fan that seemed to resolve this issue in some of the smart...I don't have the link at the moment, but someone can pitch in and locate the link on SCoA. Fans do wear out. I had mine replaced under warranty.
If only 8000 miles on the car, take it to the dealer for fix under warranty.
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f183/heater-blower-motor-re...

GetSmrt28277 said:
There is a easy way to clean the fan that seemed to resolve this issue in some of the smart...I don't have the link at the moment, but someone can pitch in and locate the link on SCoA. Fans do wear out. I had mine replaced under warranty.

Thanks for that LINK Mike! Mine is starting to act up again after I went through so much trouble in 08 and beginning of 09. I must have had one of the "batch of bad motors." I'll work on cleaning this one up.

I found that if you raise your right foot upwards from the gas pedal about 3 or 4 inches and give a good kick to the right, the fan will start up again.  Found this when it was -15 degrees out and the heater quit working.  Once it got warmer out, I pulled the blower motor out and cleaned the armature contacts. It seems like a wiring problem on my car. Been OK for about 7 months now (lots of A/C use this year)
You can get the fan motor replaced for free under warranty...same thing happened with my smart.  I think some of the motors/ connections were defective.  Definitely get it replaced asap under warranty!

From what I have heard, and read, they are not the only ones with that problem. it is the motor manufacturers problem and it can be tough to find a replacement. when i tried, it was a 6 month backorder item. Hopefully it has gotten better.

I pulled mine out and went through it myself. Been working OK ever since (about a year now)  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service