On 7/29/09, Donald Briscoe Dix,age 82, of Charlotte,NC, was killed in his Smart when he ran a stop sign and was hit by a minivan ...WSOCTV.com posted a photo of his destroyed Smart on 7/29/09...He is apparently the first Smart fatality in the US...

Views: 1575

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How sad for the driver of the other car. Did nothing wrong, but is burdened with having killed another human being who ran a stop sign. How many hours will be spent agonizing over that! A waste of 2 lives. Tragic.
Anyone crashing into a Smart SHOULD feel like a big bully...
Before this gets completely ludicrous, let's remember the smart driver was at fault. He ran the red light stop sign - the other driver was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sad outcome but in no way is the other driver deserving of any abuse. If he or she is agonizing over this they're wasting valuable time.
Robert Stout said:
"You will have to delete this topic out of my cold dead hands..."

I was reading the thread with a grain of salt to begin with. Then I came across this comment.
Add my vote to the column for removal. Considering those involved in these accidents, and the others we have not heard about, there are more respectful ways to discuss this topic.

Please - let's be careful out there,
Pops and Carlito
I vote for the removal of this discussion too. We should avoid to sensationalize this tragedy further with our opinions, which really are meaningless after the facts are reported. We should show great respect for those involved in this terrible accident, and that may mean to stop this discussion. Just because we can talk about it does not mean we should. IMHO.
Don't blame the messenger! I think reporting this incident was justified in that all of us smart owners are questioned as to the safety issue of such a small car and so far, thankfully, many of the accidents have resulted in little or no injuries. It is unfortunate that no reporting was done as to why the driver died...was he wearing a seat belt? Was he ejected? Did he have a heart attack? Was there structure failure? Hopefully, smart will investigate as they have done before and report to us owners what they have discovered.
Bert
Three fatalities and 40,000 Smarts sold indicates a good survival rate for Smart owners is developing...This contradicts the hysterical claims by non-owner auto buffs that the Smart is dangerously small in a world of larger vehicles...Only time will tell, but I expect our German engineers and older drivers will be vindicated...

Bert Monsen said:
Don't blame the messenger! I think reporting this incident was justified in that all of us smart owners are questioned as to the safety issue of such a small car and so far, thankfully, many of the accidents have resulted in little or no injuries. It is unfortunate that no reporting was done as to why the driver died...was he wearing a seat belt? Was he ejected? Did he have a heart attack? Was there structure failure? Hopefully, smart will investigate as they have done before and report to us owners what they have discovered.
Bert
Robert, was an autopsy completed...official cause determined?
Thanks for the post.
RIP Mr Dix
Nope cause you replied too it.

.... opps I did too.

Forest said:
Isn't this tread Dead yet
when you look at the picture it appears the triteon steel cage did its job and the passenger compartment wasn't crushed, the impact appeared to be on the passenger side so if we ever get a post mortum it will probably focus cause of death on seat belt use (or not), age and speed of the other vehicle snapping the smart ( and driver) around
A guy named Bob Diaz has been keeping track of Smart fatalities...It still appears to be only 3...Despite minicompacts being more dangerous due to light weight and less crush space, our death rate is less than half that for all cars...The "crash" cell,air bags,belts, brakes,and stability control work great...If our smart driving keeps up, the Smart will be listed as one of the safer cars, to the surprise of many critics...

Foothill said:
when you look at the picture it appears the triteon steel cage did its job and the passenger compartment wasn't crushed, the impact appeared to be on the passenger side so if we ever get a post mortum it will probably focus cause of death on seat belt use (or not), age and speed of the other vehicle snapping the smart ( and driver) around
I am with you on this one as to sensationalizing the story I dont think anyone on here has done so, as to discussing this I dont understand why anyone would feel that discussing a fatality I dont understand, I work on an ambulance and I have to say we discuss every accident, as to this one It seems suspicious to me, a couple of things stand out to me one this man is 82 therefore he is going to be more susceptible to trauma then others, two a man of his age would generally not be in an age bracket to engage in reckless behavior such as running a stop sign to begin with, raising my index of suspicion that there may have been an underlying condition that precipitated this event as to whether this is the case we will probley never know, but wondering is only natural and I dont find it disrespectful in the least. And yes you would be amazed at how many people get into wrecks after they have died.... some you find out about some they dont, generally they are found when someone witnesses them slumped over before they hit something others are at least indicated with a lack of skid marks are if there wrecks are minor enough to leave doubt as to the cause of death, as contrary to believe at least here most decedents are not given a full autopsies.

Bert Monsen said:
Bert

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.