We've started this discussion forum to create a space for smartUSAinsiders to share with us at smart your thoughts, comments, questions and ideas.

We can’t promise you that everything will be answered all the time but what we can promise is that everything will be seen and we will address as much as we can.

We are looking forward to your thoughts, comments, questions and ideas - open your mind...

Views: 18088

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wishes for SMART.

Let me have the software for my laptop so I can connect up to the car. The rest of the maintenance is no different than any other vehicle. No way am I driving 100 miles to a dealer to have the maintenance lamp reset or for a simple oil change.

The warranty is a joke. (in my case never needed/used thankfully)

Bring the turbo Diesel in. I'd upgrade in a heartbeat.

Improve the ride. The car beats you to death on the roads here in Calif. (We used to have good roads, not any more)

Add cruise control. I shouldn't need to buy and install it.

Add a real temperature and oil pressure gauge to the instruments. There's enough room. Don't really need two clocks.

Get a radio that supports RDS and HD.

Add an external oil dip stick. Run it up to the fuel door.  Or add an electronic reading one to the instrument panel. (It's a royal pain to have to empty the car and mess with the rear carpet and pad just to check to oil level.)

that is all....

I used to drive 2 Honda Hybrids, a 2003 and a 2007 civic. My 2003 got 55 miles per gallon, but I started to have problems with sensors and other expenses, so I traded it for a 2007. What a pile. Bigger car, bigger engine, another "living room" on wheels, and the gas mileage was 35-38 during the summer. The battery could not withstand the summers in San Antonio, Texas. So I bought the Smart and I could not be happier. Fun to drive, looks neat, great gas mileage, and no lithium battery. So my advice to MB is don't start making it bigger, more powerful, less fun, and don't let it become just another car. We don't need a behemoth to get from point "A" to point "B". I see Hummers with only one passenger in it, most of the time. What a waste!
Walter Johnson said:  not something that although it makes sense can't contend with a 40' semi."

Walter, I don't know of any car that can "contend with a 40' semi". My smart "Lil Blue" isn't afraid of the semi's. I don't drive any differently in the smart than I do in our minivan when I'm around semi's.

While you are creating advertising for the smart please figure out how to educate Americans about the safety Two of the most frequent questions we are asked are "How safe is it" and "Aren't you afraid of getting in an accident in it?" People are surprised to learn about the tridion safety cell/ roll cage and that the body underneath is made of steel. Even that it has so many air bags.

I love our smart just as much now as when we purchased it 2 years and 40,000 plus miles ago.

Will said Ms. Hobbs!

MJB
Jill Hobbs said:

Walter Johnson said:  not something that although it makes sense can't contend with a 40' semi."

Walter, I don't know of any car that can "contend with a 40' semi". My smart "Lil Blue" isn't afraid of the semi's. I don't drive any differently in the smart than I do in our minivan when I'm around semi's.

While you are creating advertising for the smart please figure out how to educate Americans about the safety Two of the most frequent questions we are asked are "How safe is it" and "Aren't you afraid of getting in an accident in it?" People are surprised to learn about the tridion safety cell/ roll cage and that the body underneath is made of steel. Even that it has so many air bags.

I love our smart just as much now as when we purchased it 2 years and 40,000 plus miles ago.

Meh. LOL

Putt Putt said:

The latest I've seen , besides the ads for the 500, is they have stuff on their site AND face book.  My wife found these last night and all I can say is OUCH!  We (smart) have a very big battle ahead.........BRING 'EM ON!!!!!!

And.....

Right On, Robert!

MJB
Robert Newman said:

I used to drive 2 Honda Hybrids, a 2003 and a 2007 civic. My 2003 got 55 miles per gallon, but I started to have problems with sensors and other expenses, so I traded it for a 2007. What a pile. Bigger car, bigger engine, another "living room" on wheels, and the gas mileage was 35-38 during the summer. The battery could not withstand the summers in San Antonio, Texas. So I bought the Smart and I could not be happier. Fun to drive, looks neat, great gas mileage, and no lithium battery. So my advice to MB is don't start making it bigger, more powerful, less fun, and don't let it become just another car. We don't need a behemoth to get from point "A" to point "B". I see Hummers with only one passenger in it, most of the time. What a waste!

I would love to have had an option for a fully manual transmission (with clutch pedal).  Also a diesel engine would be great for my commute. 

I have been learning about hypermiling, (and becoming obsessed).  I am only averaging 50 mpg now, but I know that I could do MUCH BETTER than that with a manual transmission.

mpg depends a LOT on the driver.  I'd say most smarties are getting closer to 37, which isn't bad mind you but there are several cars getting close which mean that MB will have to kick it up a notch for he next gen smart. I have a 2004 smart (early adopter) and I really can't see much incentive to trade it for the post 2008 (worse mpg and I won't go into the list of issues -- they can be found over on the SCOA forum).  THe FIAT manual should return not too far from 40 mpg and is frankly right in the same neighborhood for mpg (451 anyway).

I agree with Lee, that I would also like to see the turbo diesel -- that is something that would be really impressive and would land smart well on the top of the mpg heap; plus, diesel engines tend to last much longer (see Canadian smart forum).  I hear there are NO plans to have a diesel for the next gen smart, and I'm more disappointed by that than almost any other thing smart has done.

I know this is the smart forum, but the one thing that MB could do is bring in the OLD A class which seats 4 and has a lot of utility to be a companion car to the fortwo.  The New A class concept that has been floating about looks like a BMW 1 series wannabe and COMPLETELY misses the mark of a small utilitarian vehicle, which is what smart represents.  The good part is they wouldn't even have to do much or design a whole new car -- just tweak it and bring it in (diesel would be great there as well!).  I't the only other MB product I would buy besides a fortwo.

Walter Johnson said:

I didn't mean the -500 was inferior from a design, reliability, or service standpoint. I drove an automatic one last week, liked it, but  the sticker said it got 34 MPG highway. I drive a smart because its its the most efficient gas powered car, and, when I bought it I thought it was built and backed by MB. Repeating what I said before, a smart is the ultimate in efficiency, but American prejudice wants bigger, a back seat, not something that although it makes sense can't contend with a 40' semi. Mb knows better than me whether this concept can be sold to Americans.

I find it totally ridiculous that I cannot have my Smart Car serviced in MN. The shift module went out and I refuse to pay to have my car towed out of state to have the repairs done. There must be something that can be done. There is always a resolution that can meet the customer’s needs, which in this case is to have a car to drive. All I have heard so for is "I'm sorry, I cannot help you" I am out a vehicle right now with NO idea of when it can be fixed. Impossible in this day and age. From a customer service perspective, this is utterly unacceptable.

Forest said:

You are going to need to do a lot of Damage control in the Minneapolis area. 

In case yall forgot, the car only has a 2 year warranty.  Now you are talking about maybe filling that gap in 6 more months.  That is a 1/4 of the warranty period.  

And just telling folks with issues to drive over 300 miles for simple warranty work will leave a bad taste that will take years to brush out.

I find it totally ridiculous that I cannot have my Smart Car serviced in MN. The shift module went out and I refuse to pay to have my car towed out of state to have the repairs done. There must be something that can be done. There is always a resolution that can meet the customer’s needs, which in this case is to have a car to drive. All I have heard so for is "I'm sorry, I cannot help you" I am out a vehicle right now with NO idea of when it can be fixed. Impossible in this day and age. From a customer service perspective, this is utterly unacceptable.

Stephen C Hokonson said:

Yesterday another local smart owner and I went to Maplewood Imports (St. Paul MB dealer) to offer our support, question intentions, and promote a smart dealership for Minnesota.  They listened politely and said that either Sears or Maplewood might end up with a dealership, but not before the first of next year.  Numerous issues/problems were cited including: recent MB local upgrades, the need for space, additional service techs, training, the "down economy," the lack of a USA "future" for smart, and the bottom line that a smart dealership may not be their wisest investment.  We left the upbeat article about smart incentives, advertising intentions, and 1.5%  dealer incentive.  We were encouraged to have owners contact the local dealer managers with our concerns.

To be without any dealer in Minnesota is intolerable.  MB simply must offer more to the local dealerships!

spicejax

The simplicity of a facebook ad is all you have to do is target the folks who like your competition.  You see that fiat ad because you like smart usa and are not already a fan of Fiat.  and you only pay per click.  So click away at that fiat add and cost them money

http://api.ning.com/files/x3e9Jsw7Qb8HwyH0qeoDAv7qvYGQSncNKwMr8tM2F...*RQa*60AeZPoZAPXPC0cmu88LIBWlMKGBB-9XcrhWcfb6b1j3bGKWkFKU5M_/fiatfacebook.jpg

LOL Yes, let's click them into bankruptcy! LOL

When I was 16 I worked on the second floor over a tiny Fiat dealer. For a while I 'jonesed' for a day glow green X1/9.  LOL  I got over it.

I suppose Tracey and her crew might want to hear our opinion of the 500, but I for one would like to hear owners share helpful ideas on the smart fortwo. Not that clicking the competitions ad isn't helpful and fun to boot. 

BTW, thanks for the Link to my 'prose'.

Forest said:

spicejax

The simplicity of a facebook ad is all you have to do is target the folks who like your competition.  You see that fiat ad because you like smart usa and are not already a fan of Fiat.  and you only pay per click.  So click away at that fiat add and cost them money

http://api.ning.com/files/x3e9Jsw7Qb8HwyH0qeoDAv7qvYGQSncNKwMr8tM2F...*RQa*60AeZPoZAPXPC0cmu88LIBWlMKGBB-9XcrhWcfb6b1j3bGKWkFKU5M_/fiatfacebook.jpg

__
__

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos