We've started this discussion forum to create a space for smartUSAinsiders to share with us at smart your thoughts, comments, questions and ideas.

We can’t promise you that everything will be answered all the time but what we can promise is that everything will be seen and we will address as much as we can.

We are looking forward to your thoughts, comments, questions and ideas - open your mind...

Views: 18266

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i don't think any sane person would ride on tires with a profile lower than 50, that was my cut off, i drive in the real world, and i drive aggressively, even though the smart is relatively light, under 400 pounds per front tire and a bit over 500 per rear, i don't want to be riding on less than 2 inches of "air". i run 195/50-15's all around, never got a dent in a wheel, ran them on my last car, a '98 metro. i may go to 185/60-15's when these wear out, that's 50-60,000 miles down the road, the smart is light and the tires are rated for about 1200 pounds.

Ryan said:

I'm just wishing someone a bit higher up the service chain than a service associate at Smart Center Devon in Devon, PA could contact me to help get some of my OTHER issues fixed.  Aside from the crazing roof (which as far as i'm aware there still isn't a permanent fix for), and the Brabus fuel filler door sticker falling off for a second time (not much of a shocker there....).  My rear rims on my Brabus are dented to the point where now the passenger side loses air constantly once the weather turns decidedly cold, while the driver side just yesterday lost just about every psi of air in less than 24 hours.  Literally filled the tire the night before up to 35psi... the next afternoon could push in on any part of the tire with my thumb.

The previous Smart Center Devon... the one i bought my car from... awesome to work with.  Once they closed, so far it's been a nightmare.  Smart Center Cherry Hill in Jersey was a joke.  Not even going to mention the BS that went on with Trevose.... PRAY that the NEW Smart Center Devon will at least be similar to the old one in terms of reliability for getting service done.

Well, I can understand some of Kenny's concerns. He sees the 451 not as an improvement on the design but as a step backward. I have heard some people complain about the 450 vs. the 451, the same way I complained about my 2003 Honda Hybrid vs. the 2007 model. Heavier, bigger engine, a "living room on wheels", and 37-40 mpg compared to the 52-55 mpg that I got on the 2003. I also hope that the Smart does not go in that direction, and loose its uniqueness. I almost bought a KIA Soul but they were everywhere. And I did not want the "street cred" of a 18 year old. So hopefully when MB starts advertising the 2012 model, and it has an improved transmission, (two clutch discs I hear), that it will continue to be an economical and UNIQUE car, and not just another econo-box.
heck for me an Isetta is big enough (and sophisticated enough as well!)!  I'm not sure my point was the 451 was necessarily a step back, but that progress comes -- some of it good, some of it we're not so hot on.  The new smart will be what it we'll be -- we may like some of it and some of it may drive us crazy, that's life!  I hope it maintains it uniqueness, while making it a bit easier for more people to accept.  Maybe it will lose a bit of it's charm (just like the 450 to the 451 did) -- some prefer the new one, some the old, but nothing can stay the same.  Heck, if I could I'd by a new original Isetta, but no one's going to make that one again anytime soon...
i rode in an original isetta a year ago, at the 2010 micro car meet outside of chicago. i'd like a bit more speed. i like the bullet-proof construction of the smart. the new fiat 500 is cute, i drove one while getting my 30K mile service at bergstrom's in milwaukee. the fiat 500 is SOLID, it's like 700 pounds heavier than a smart, the power steering is over-powered and geared too fast, it would be fine to drive slaloms all day. i'll be keeping my smart for the next 7 years, i usually get a new car every 10 years.http://youtu.be/N9eP5z0C7f4

Kenny Andersen said:
heck for me an Isetta is big enough (and sophisticated enough as well!)!  I'm not sure my point was the 451 was necessarily a step back, but that progress comes -- some of it good, some of it we're not so hot on.  The new smart will be what it we'll be -- we may like some of it and some of it may drive us crazy, that's life!  I hope it maintains it uniqueness, while making it a bit easier for more people to accept.  Maybe it will lose a bit of it's charm (just like the 450 to the 451 did) -- some prefer the new one, some the old, but nothing can stay the same.  Heck, if I could I'd by a new original Isetta, but no one's going to make that one again anytime soon...

Here's an annoying turn of events...now someone is making Golf Carts that look like smart cars. Arrggghhh ( I wouldn't mind having one, I could have a sticker 'My other smart is a Golf Cart') MJB

Kandi Golf Carts

Well, I always tell people that our car doubles as a golf cart!  if I had one of these I would be telling the truth, sort of...

spicejax said:

Here's an annoying turn of events...now someone is making Golf Carts that look like smart cars. Arrggghhh ( I wouldn't mind having one, I could have a sticker 'My other smart is a Golf Cart') MJB

Kandi Golf Carts

The Chinese have been knocking them off as EVs for quite a while -- not quite the same quality though...

spicejax said:

Kandi Golf Carts

Well.... technically, going by the tire size of the Brabus's rears.... it's about .05" shy of 3" of "air".  Yes.... the rear tires on the standard Pure/Passion/Cabriolet are deeper ... but the Brabus's rear tires are about 40mm wider than the standard Smart's rear wheels.  Not to mention that even though the rear tires on the Brabus are quite low, they're still rated for about 960 pounds.... which, as we know... both rear tires would make up for the entire car's weight.

Generally the tires aren't that bad..... but i live in Pennsylvania.... and the roads here are a few pegs shy of "general".  Every once in a while i come across one of those bumps i can't really do anything about.... mostly on the highways where slowing down enough to take a bump nicely isn't even a remote possibility.  That, and the signs saying "rough road ahead"... wouldn't exactly take that to mean a bump so large it could knock you off your seat.  Other than road construction area's... the tires are just fine.  It's just those times i had no choice where the damage happened.  PA turnpike..... Interstate 78.....

james g said:

i don't think any sane person would ride on tires with a profile lower than 50, that was my cut off, i drive in the real world, and i drive aggressively, even though the smart is relatively light, under 400 pounds per front tire and a bit over 500 per rear, i don't want to be riding on less than 2 inches of "air". i run 195/50-15's all around, never got a dent in a wheel, ran them on my last car, a '98 metro. i may go to 185/60-15's when these wear out, that's 50-60,000 miles down the road, the smart is light and the tires are rated for about 1200 pounds.

Ryan said:

I'm just wishing someone a bit higher up the service chain than a service associate at Smart Center Devon in Devon, PA could contact me to help get some of my OTHER issues fixed.  Aside from the crazing roof (which as far as i'm aware there still isn't a permanent fix for), and the Brabus fuel filler door sticker falling off for a second time (not much of a shocker there....).  My rear rims on my Brabus are dented to the point where now the passenger side loses air constantly once the weather turns decidedly cold, while the driver side just yesterday lost just about every psi of air in less than 24 hours.  Literally filled the tire the night before up to 35psi... the next afternoon could push in on any part of the tire with my thumb.

The previous Smart Center Devon... the one i bought my car from... awesome to work with.  Once they closed, so far it's been a nightmare.  Smart Center Cherry Hill in Jersey was a joke.  Not even going to mention the BS that went on with Trevose.... PRAY that the NEW Smart Center Devon will at least be similar to the old one in terms of reliability for getting service done.

http://www.startribune.com/local/128513003.html

Just the start of a media coverage of the issue.

Stephen C Hokonson said:

http://www.startribune.com/local/128513003.html

"Just the start of a media coverage of the issue."

Corky says

Hopefully this will snowball into something useful. I would like to see more coverage like this.

N. OlmstedOhio

MJB

MB could use a 'good' plan...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos