We've started this discussion forum to create a space for smartUSAinsiders to share with us at smart your thoughts, comments, questions and ideas.

We can’t promise you that everything will be answered all the time but what we can promise is that everything will be seen and we will address as much as we can.

We are looking forward to your thoughts, comments, questions and ideas - open your mind...

Views: 17985

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well said. thanks.

jwight said:
Since we don't know what's going on behind the scenes I think it would be prudent (not to mention fair) to cut the new DVI folks some slack and see how things shake out.  It's premature IMHO to starting throwing rocks at them for perceived slights.  They were at the Dells in June, did participate, talked with owners and provided those neat swag bags.  They were all prepared to go to the Spring Nationals in Daytona next March but the event fell through - lack of owner support.  It's a two way street - if we expect DVI to reach out to the owners the owners have to step up as well.  This is a work in progress and we can either be part improving things or not - our choice.

Nice article on the clean up event

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/dozens-of-mercedes-benz-usa...

Eric Angeloro said:

Putt Putt, 

We didn't announce this so you didn't miss any communication.  It was a corporate sponsored event and we teamed-up with our Sprinter and M-B colleagues.  IT did give us some ideas for a smart event like this with our owners so it's good to see there is interest.  Have you participated in activities such as Beach Sweep?

Putt Putt said:

As I see in the current "Scoop" from DVI....  cleaning local beaches in NJ..  Did they announce this?   If not, there was a huge missed opprotunity to gather owner support form the  NY, NJ PA area .  

If they did announce the cleanup-  , I'm sorry I missed it.  

Cool article.  Thanks for sharing.  

Side note: We began discussing a national event for our owner's to join us in Home Office in the spring.  I may be inbox-ing some of you for input, but we believe we have a good idea brewing.  Stay tuned.

That sounds like a lot of fun!  If we go, do we get free samples, of SMART cars that is?
There may be a number of folks making the drive to Key West in March so give us some breathing room before we have to head for New Jersey!

Eric Angeloro said:

Side note: We began discussing a national event for our owner's to join us in Home Office in the spring.  I may be inbox-ing some of you for input, but we believe we have a good idea brewing.  Stay tuned.

Eric, 100% support, no matter what you put together!
"Inbox" me when you are ready!

Eric Angeloro said:

Hoping that this gets to someone in management, last week I drove over 200 miles round-trip to Houston in order to purchase a standard stock wheel and wheel cover for my month-old 2011 FORTWO coupe, and neither the dealer in North Houston nor the one in Sugarland (where the smart was purchased) had a wheel in stock.  I was compelled to pay more than $300 for a fancy non-stock wheel in Sugarland in order to have a spare wheel, and of course it does not match my other four wheels.  Does "management," whoever and wherever that is, wonder why there is trouble marketing the smart?  My experience has been shared with more than one potential purchaser, and it will continue to be shared.  I now understand why some call smart the lonely orphan of Mercedes Benz.

Jim

Sorry to hear about your experience.  A couple of questions come to mind: 1) did you call ahead to see if either dealer had wheels in stock?  and 2) did you explore finding a wheel via the Internet (eBay, SCoA Marketplace, etc.) prior to making the trip.  I agree a wheel is something we'd expect to find at a smart center and parts availability has been an issue for some time, but IMHO it's always best to call ahead.  Not exactly sure why you were compelled to buy that $300 wheel...

Jim Brown said:

Hoping that this gets to someone in management, last week I drove over 200 miles round-trip to Houston in order to purchase a standard stock wheel and wheel cover for my month-old 2011 FORTWO coupe, and neither the dealer in North Houston nor the one in Sugarland (where the smart was purchased) had a wheel in stock.  I was compelled to pay more than $300 for a fancy non-stock wheel in Sugarland in order to have a spare wheel, and of course it does not match my other four wheels.  Does "management," whoever and wherever that is, wonder why there is trouble marketing the smart?  My experience has been shared with more than one potential purchaser, and it will continue to be shared.  I now understand why some call smart the lonely orphan of Mercedes Benz.

Jim

Jim,

Consider joining another forum, smart car of america.

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com

This forum discusses in detail some of the concerns you have and provides alternative sourcing for spare tires, emergency kits (tools needed to change the tire since none come with the car.  The parts situation will be less than great for a while, until sales increase.  Until then, I would STRONGLY recommend calling before going to pick up any part for the smart.

Dave

Jim, 

Did either smart center offer to order the spare part/wheel?  If not in stock, they can order from their facing Parts Distribution Center.

Jim Brown said:

Jim

I called both dealers starting at 8:00 am, got the switchboard, was transferred to "Smart Parts," and at both was advised that the person called "was away from his desk," to leave a detailed message and phone number, and that I would receive a callback.  I needed the spare wheel then, not after stumbling through Ebay, or such, and waiting days, if not weeks, so I got underway toward Houston waiting for the callbacks on my cell phone.  Never got a callback from N. Houston, apparently Sugarland eventually called back but I did not get the call.  As I approached the N. Houston dealership I called again, finally got Smart Parts, was advised no wheels in stock, and was recommended to call Sugarland, where I had purchased to new smart.  I diverted toward Sugarland, as by then I was not all that far away.  No wheels in stock there either.  I was "compelled" to buy an expensive upgrade wheel because I needed the wheel then, not later, and the wheel purchased was, according to the parts department, the cheapest wheel available which would fit the front of my coupe.  I see no need to explain why I needed a wheel right away, please accept that as being a fact.  Neither dealership mentioned maybe being able to get one somewhere else.  I would have happily spent the night in Houston had that been possible.

I appreciate the responses, and please recognize that I love my new smart.  Driving is fun again.  But not being able to get a stock wheel at either of two dealerships in Houston is almost unbelievable.  I am not whining.  I started this out by hoping that my problem finds its way to management, somehow, and that is all I need.  I made the decision that I needed a wheel right away all by myself, and I needed it right away badly enough to pay more than $300 for what, for me, was an overpriced mismatched wheel.  I just think somebody needs to be shaken up a bit, be it the parts department, the general manager, or someone in Germany who realizes that the availability of service and parts directly affects potential sales.  If this situation is permitted to persist I would worry about whether someday soon my pleasure with my smart might become dismay, and I would hope bringing things like this to the attention of higher management would tend toward protecting my investment in my little smart.

Tks again, I do appreciate the comeback.  I do wait, however, to hear from that "higher management."

Jim

jwight said:

Sorry to hear about your experience.  A couple of questions come to mind: 1) did you call ahead to see if either dealer had wheels in stock?  and 2) did you explore finding a wheel via the Internet (eBay, SCoA Marketplace, etc.) prior to making the trip.  I agree a wheel is something we'd expect to find at a smart center and parts availability has been an issue for some time, but IMHO it's always best to call ahead.  Not exactly sure why you were compelled to buy that $300 wheel...

Jim Brown said:

Jim

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.