We've started this discussion forum to create a space for smartUSAinsiders to share with us at smart your thoughts, comments, questions and ideas.

We can’t promise you that everything will be answered all the time but what we can promise is that everything will be seen and we will address as much as we can.

We are looking forward to your thoughts, comments, questions and ideas - open your mind...

Views: 17877

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Let's just stick to the facts - there are roofs that have not crazed, period.  And some that have.  The assumption that all pano roofs eventually craze is just that - an assumption.  The number of folks on a third roof is statistically meaningless compared with the over 52K smarts sold in the USA.  Not saying that there haven't been crazed roofs and some of those roofs have been replaced - they have.  But not all 451 pano roofs by a long shot.

Kenny Andersen said:

LOL, I suppose it's possible that there are some roofs that haven't crazed... yet -- congratulation if you have one!  It's still a huge, mostly unacknowledged problem; some folks are on their 3rd roof!  They really should have solved this problem by now, no? The car is generally pretty trouble-free, but there are some known issues.  IF MB got on top of them they could really crow about the car!

so maybe it's only 30%, 40%... it's a problem without a solution (so far).

Well, my roof is the original roof and it has no crazing at all! of course it is a 2009 Pure with the solid roof but it is just fine.

Makng a general statement about 'all the roofs' is a tough thing to prove or disprove. If you could say 70 out of 100 polled had problems with the roofs, or ?? that would carry some weight.  There is still no final word  if the crazing affects the structure of the roof, or if it is just a cosmetic thing. The headlights on my other truck were crazed and I just refinished them with a kit picked up at a hardware store. 2 years and it hasn't returned. Maybe that is all the roofs need??

If you can't wait that long, we are having a regional event in June, Red Wing MN... Midwest Smart Summer Rally. Not just for the Midwest people. See what the fun is all about and practice for the National event!!

Russell Glissmann said:

Anyone who hasn't already heard, the Nationals are coming back in 2013.  I have a Facebook page with preliminary information.  You can find us at facebook.com/smartcarnationals.  Spread the word to everyone you know!

I’m only going by what is on the SCoA forum.  It is by far and away the number one complaint. There have been a fair number of people that have had more than one roof, and many that either have had it replaced, or because it’s expensive and out of warranty, choosing to live with it. Of course, if you have a solid roof, or a cabriolet, the obviously you won’t have crazing!

The crazing is internal, and buffing it won’t fix it, even temporarily. I do structural analysis of aerospace vehicles and can say with some confidence that it is not a safety issue.  From all appearances it is either a defective material, or a material that is being misapplied; those are pretty much the only two choices.

Jim VW said:

Well, my roof is the original roof and it has no crazing at all! of course it is a 2009 Pure with the solid roof but it is just fine.

Makng a general statement about 'all the roofs' is a tough thing to prove or disprove. If you could say 70 out of 100 polled had problems with the roofs, or ?? that would carry some weight.  There is still no final word  if the crazing affects the structure of the roof, or if it is just a cosmetic thing. The headlights on my other truck were crazed and I just refinished them with a kit picked up at a hardware store. 2 years and it hasn't returned. Maybe that is all the roofs need??

When I bought my 2008 it did not have crazing, that was June of 2011, it came from Colorado which is a cold to moderate climate.  Here in Arizona the temps get up over 100 degrees and it has since crazed.  I park under a carport at night but it is in the sun during the day when I am out and about.

Good to know, but for every crazed roof, there may be quite a few with no problems, hard to know. If the roof is not crazed, they won't speak up or even know that there might be an issue

A craze is different from a crack in that it can continue to support a load. Furthermore, the process of craze growth prior to cracking absorbs fracture energy and effectively increases the fracture toughness of a polymer.

I don't know about all that, but generally when the analyst does the finite element model that is used to predict failure and safety, the plastic is generally ignored (since it's stiffness is so much less than the cars steel structure).  So, whether the fracture toughness is increased or not (I doubt that the ultimate strength is increased regardless) it doesn't really matter, since it's likely it is not included in the structural analysis in the first place.

However, it's STILL defect in many many cases, and it is not being handled very well.  To smarts credit, they have handle most things OK (making people pay for the computer upgrades and early defective shifters was poor form however), but in this case the ball has been not only dropped, but kicked as well (only my opinion).

What really needed is an actual fix i.e. a material that isn't prone to crazing.

In Florida as well. You do keep Brabus 1 in the garage, right? Same here with spice, but I have the solid roof as well. 

MJB 

George Oller said:

My roof is perfect after three years.

Jim Gausman said:

I have long wondered if the crazing roof problem is caused by people washing them with ammonia solutions? I know that if you wash a polycarbonate boat windshield with Windex that it will start to craze.

I am happy with myself that I purchased a cabrio.

Jim, you are on the right track.

A fellow smart owner in my area manufactures polycarbonate boat windows. He told me that boat owners bring them back to him all the time and the crazing is caused by using chemicals to clean them. He said only use a DROP of dish soap and lots of water. No chemicals at all. He said he replaces the windows (even though he knows the owner caused the problem by cleaning with the chemicals. He does it to keep customer happy and to get repeat business by giving good customer service (he has a Cabrio so he dodged the crazing bullet on his smart. I dodged it too by ordering a solid roof on spice).

So far the majority of smart centers/MB dealers haven't figured how to do that and DVI/MBusa hasn't stepped up by backing the smart centers by just authorizing the repair ubiquitously.

Btw, the 2009 owners manual has nothing (pages 145-149) about 'special care' on cleansers for the roof

Another strange thing is that smart makes a big deal of the Panoramic Roof feature (seems to me "it's a bug, not a feature" lol). Every new owner needs to told and and a sticker (like the annoying ones on the visors and glove box) to warn them. Of course that won't help commercial car washes.

A lot of smart owners are very disappointed in the way DVI is 'plodding' along with the smart center build out and service issues. They seem to have more budget (not much more than Penske), but still run with a minimal staff and they are not taking advantage of the 'many' local smart owners to create local buzz and positive public recognition. A few smart centers have some great people that own/drive smarts and work at promoting the car, and have a relationship with local owners, they are the exception not the rule.

Overall, they are acting like 'just another car company'. The smart was unique, but DVI has become 'same old, same old'.

MJB

I am curious what the gold stars by some people's names mean?  Have they been really good lately or something?  Just kidding, but am curious about the stars.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service