We've started this discussion forum to create a space for smartUSAinsiders to share with us at smart your thoughts, comments, questions and ideas.

We can’t promise you that everything will be answered all the time but what we can promise is that everything will be seen and we will address as much as we can.

We are looking forward to your thoughts, comments, questions and ideas - open your mind...

Views: 18180

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wonder how many cars a manufacturer would sell if they told the prospective buyer they have to do their own maintenance & drive ridiculous distances to avail themselves of the warranty that was included in the price. Had these points been made "prior" to sale I doubt if you'd see many Smarts running around MN. The point is....MB reneged on their obligation. 

Kamaal Peterson said:

IF all you need is an oil change, you can get that done until a smart service center is nearby.  That's why the maintenance guide and the smartusa owners site gives an explanation of the necessary parts and how to change your own oil.  If you can't do it, somebody else can. 

Corky A Freeman said:

At least they have a service center, something a lot of people don't have. BTW, how do know fiats aren't as "perfect" as smartCars are? Right now a lot of smart owners, myself & a good number of owners that got dumped on in MN & elsewhere, wouldn't buy a SmartCar, ever again. Besides, I think, SmartUSA is circling the drain. As far as comparative tampering, why don't you read the posts, here & elsewhere, & you'll see they're no different than any other car. FWIW, I'd rather service my car every 4K than have no service at all.

Kamaal Peterson said:

I see your point, believe me I do.  But it's not like smart cars require much in the way of service anyway.  Oil changes every 10k miles.  No tire rotations.  No transmission tampering.  No timing belt.  What's really left that needs tampering with?  A Fiat 500 requires service every 4,000 miles.  Your son and fiancée will require the dealer's service department more often.  

No doubt, and the staff at Madison smart are extremely helpful too but they are not just down the street, or even 50 miles away now are they?? I try to support local businesses whenever possible and when I need to get something that I can't get locally, I go to the internet. Just not thrilled about having to have my own inventory of parts. 

The benefit for the smart having 10,000 service intervals goes away when the dealer is 5 hours away.  

I can get a 4,000 mile interval FIAT to a dealer that is half-an-hour away 10 times for the same amount of my time as getting the smart to the dealer once.  The FIAT Salon occupies the former Bloomington smart center.

Kamaal Peterson said:

I see your point, believe me I do.  But it's not like smart cars require much in the way of service anyway.  Oil changes every 10k miles.  No tire rotations.  No transmission tampering.  No timing belt.  What's really left that needs tampering with?  A Fiat 500 requires service every 4,000 miles.  Your son and fiancee will require the dealer's service department more often.

Stephen C Hokonson said:

Cheerleaders from Calif. are about as helpful as politicians from Washington.  People do what they want to do.   My son and fiancee just bought a Fiat 500;  They have both dealers and local service!

Kamaal, quit while you're ahead [for once].  Owners should have access to service.  MB is responsible for providing that.  If they don't, AND they don't arrange an alternative (i.e. through making manuals available or using an independent, it's an epic fail (as the kids these days are saying). It's been more than a year -- that's long enough even for someone in the 'slow' class to get something done. Sorry, no way to sugar-coat that!

Kamaal,

This is NOT Facebook and "the happy buzz we should all be on" is a narcotic unavailable for those smart owners in Minnesota who simply have been repeatedly deceived and/or lied to by representatives of MB.  So, do us a favor and just "shut-up." I would imagine that your continued diatribe is an embarrassment to both MB and personally to Eric who has tried to respond as sincerely as he can to our concerns. 

Esteban

If I were a prospective buyer living in the Los Angeles area and I saw that one of the local dealers always took the side of the manufacturer even when the manufacturer was clearly at fault, I would look elsewhere to purchase a car.

smart Certified Pre-Owned program details are on smart USA site: http://www.smartusa.com/certified-pre-owned/

Thanks for bringing the CPO program to USA smart centers!

The ball is definitely rolling and it's growing larger...  and the new 2013's are going to be released really soon....  !!

I'm glad to see that Smart is continuing to try & sell cars even after they went south on their commitment. Anyone thinking of purchasing a Smart, beware, you could be stuck without after-sales service & warranty. There's plenty of other choices.

Jim, I think you're right to be concerned.

My '08 Smart Passion just stranded me for 2 days in a small town north of NYC.  Only 28k miles and a faulty coolant hose led to the engine burning up... no warning lights came on.  It just stalled out while I was doing 70mph on the highway.. very scary.  10pm at night and no one could tell me where to tow it.  Called Smart Roadside and they had no certified shops or recommendations.  Tow truck couldn't deliver it to the NYC Smart Dealer, because it was after hours and they don't accept cars then.  Had to spend the night in a questionable (at best) hotel with no lock on the door.  Next morning, I couldn't find anyone to touch the car, even the mechanic who services Mercedes.  He told me Smarts require special tools that are in the thousands for them to purchase... normal for most makes, but not worth the investment for Smarts, since so few people have them.  I had to have the car transported back to the Buffalo, NY dealer... 100 miles away from where I live, but the closest dealer to me.  Insurance doesn't cover loaners for mechanical failures, so I had no car for a week.  Smart finally sent a loaner which I'm driving now, waiting to hear back on what they're going to do for me. 

I've loved my Smart, but honestly, a 28k engine should not be blowing up.  And I should be able to take my 4-year old vehicle on the road, without incurring $1,000 worth of towing, long distance transports, hotels, plane tickets back home, etc. because it broke down in a remote location.  

As you can imagine, this has been an awful ordeal and I'm quite upset.  I bought a new car so this kind of scenario wouldn't happen.  

Had to laugh when I just saw this on the new advertisement for "Smart Certified Pre-Owned" vehicles, many of which are my same model with the faulty coolant hose...

"Has your current automobile relationship fizzled to a grinding halt?"

Why yes.  Yes it has...

This is why I tell people to avoid the Smart brand like the plague. Great little cars, but once you plunk your money down that's it, MB could care less if they ever see you again. I know that upsets a lot of people who worship their "toys", facts are facts & what you went through proves that. There are a lot more choices from viable manufacturers.

Jennifer W. said:

Had to laugh when I just saw this on the new advertisement for "Smart Certified Pre-Owned" vehicles, many of which are my same model with the faulty coolant hose...

"Has your current automobile relationship fizzled to a grinding halt?"

Why yes.  Yes it has...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos