We've started this discussion forum to create a space for smartUSAinsiders to share with us at smart your thoughts, comments, questions and ideas.

We can’t promise you that everything will be answered all the time but what we can promise is that everything will be seen and we will address as much as we can.

We are looking forward to your thoughts, comments, questions and ideas - open your mind...

 

 

Views: 18180

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The cars are generally good.  MB appears to be their own worst Frienemy... 

What is this issue with the coolant hose?  Does it affect the 2009's?????

Some cars had the coolant hose too close to something that rubbed -- I'm guessing a search on the SCoA forum would turn up something.  Anyway, it rubs causing a coolant leak and there is no idiot light that comes on to tell you the car is hot.  Maybe there is supposed to be, but several cases where the light didn't come on and the engines got hot enough to toast them.  Anyway, it's the owners fault... evidently...???

I think it's a potential on 2008 and 2009s, but I'm old and the memory is the fist thing to go (in my case).  It wouldn't hurt to look at the hose and check for any signs of rubbing.

Posted this in your SCoA thread but just want to be sure you have the info; try contacting this person at smart USA: mbusa_cac@mbusa.com, just mention "Quinn" in the subject line

Jennifer W. said:

Had to laugh when I just saw this on the new advertisement for "Smart Certified Pre-Owned" vehicles, many of which are my same model with the faulty coolant hose...

"Has your current automobile relationship fizzled to a grinding halt?"

Why yes.  Yes it has...

Here's the thread from 2010: http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f25/451-hose-info-radiator-...

Kenny Andersen said:

Some cars had the coolant hose too close to something that rubbed -- I'm guessing a search on the SCoA forum would turn up something.  Anyway, it rubs causing a coolant leak and there is no idiot light that comes on to tell you the car is hot.  Maybe there is supposed to be, but several cases where the light didn't come on and the engines got hot enough to toast them.  Anyway, it's the owners fault... evidently...???

I think it's a potential on 2008 and 2009s, but I'm old and the memory is the fist thing to go (in my case).  It wouldn't hurt to look at the hose and check for any signs of rubbing.

I wonder if that radiator hose wear is something that a smart technician would look for if I were able to bring my smart to a dealer for service?

i recommend a scan gauge or ultra gauge, i had the former for 3 years and switched to the later last year, but i'd gladly go back to the SGII ( i sold the SG to another smartie when the ultra arrived, the ultra is off about 5% in fuel consumption, i may try to up the engine capacity to 1.1 liters and see if this corrects the slight mileage discrepancy, the SGII was a bit more accurate). either will give you instant coolant temps.

I laugh when I read the snips at Scion IQ, how the smart is so much better in all facets, that anyone who chooses a Scion over a smart is somehow.....wrong. Now go to both Scions & smarts website & click on "dealer locator" & tell me why anyone would choose a Smart over a Scion? I bet scion owners don't have a problem finding a technician who would look at their radiator hose.

Jim Gausman said:

I wonder if that radiator hose wear is something that a smart technician would look for if I were able to bring my smart to a dealer for service?

The scan gauge (SGII) is reasonably accurate for me.  Yesterday I needed to drive 75 miles and I got over 50 mpg.  One of the things that I monitor on the scan gauge is the water temperature.  Having read that the smart idiot light does not include a warning for overheating, I wish that the scan gauge had a user settable warning light.  

james g said:

i recommend a scan gauge or ultra gauge, i had the former for 3 years and switched to the later last year, but i'd gladly go back to the SGII ( i sold the SG to another smartie when the ultra arrived, the ultra is off about 5% in fuel consumption, i may try to up the engine capacity to 1.1 liters and see if this corrects the slight mileage discrepancy, the SGII was a bit more accurate). either will give you instant coolant temps.

I find it hard to fathom that, even on a cheap little car, that it doesn't have a high temp warning. That's one of the reasons I bought my scanguage, however I pay more attention to the MPG than the temp & a warning bell or something would be great. The only problem I ever had with the engine temp was once this past winter it wouldn't heat up. Probably a sticky thermostat, hasn't happened since.

Probably; I'll ask when I run down to smart center Cincinnati the next time...

Jim Gausman said:

I wonder if that radiator hose wear is something that a smart technician would look for if I were able to bring my smart to a dealer for service?

Thanks for posting that link.  I will look under my smart next time I have it up and in the meantime I will pay a lot more attention to the water temperature on the scan gauge.  

It seems to me that a responsible manufacturer would recall the cars and inspect the hoses to prevent problems.  Has this occurred?  Which model years are affected?  

Problems like what Jennifer W had are the kinds of things that kill a brand's reputation.  I hope that the powers that be will take care of her.


jwight said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos
  • View All

Videos

  • Add Videos
  • View All

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service