We've started this discussion forum to create a space for smartUSAinsiders to share with us at smart your thoughts, comments, questions and ideas.

We can’t promise you that everything will be answered all the time but what we can promise is that everything will be seen and we will address as much as we can.

We are looking forward to your thoughts, comments, questions and ideas - open your mind...

 

 

Views: 18127

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I found my cooling fan (behind the radiator) was damaged somehow and hitting the shroud making an awful racket when I turned on the A/C. Since I am well past warranty, I opted to fix it myself using aftermarket parts. Even without the fan, engine temps never went over a max of 200, probably due to cooler weather this spring.I didn't take a look at the coolant lines...Glad I have a ScangaugeII 

Thanks for the link to the 2013 model info on smart USA.com!  One eagle-eyed SCoA member noticed the 2013s now come with a coolant level indicator in the gauge cluster - thank you for that!  The obvious question is can that be retrofitted to earlier models?  Just my opinion, but the car still needs a real temperature gauge in the unlikely event the engine starts overheating - it's pretty obvious the current warning light doesn't cut it.

Thanks for the well wishes.  :)  I'm putting my faith in my dealer and MB... I believe they'll make this right for me.  While I agree these are the kinds of issues that can potentially unravel brands, I still believe Smart is a good company and wants to do right by its owners.  I hope my continued faith isn't naive... I don't think so though.  /)

I received the following e-mail today.  Yesterday I personally went to MB of Maplewood in Twin Cities and talked to the Sales Manager who said there was nothing stirring about a "service point" for smart in the Twin Cities.


Dear Stephen Hokonson, 

We wanted to take time to let you know that here at Kia of Brooklyn Park we will remain your community Smart Car service center by providing a complete array of automotive services. 

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at 763-424-9100 or email us me atjohnde@lupient.com.

We look forward to seeing you,

John Delander
Service Director

We STILL and ALWAYS WILL Service Your Smart Car. 


SPRING INTO SUMMER

 

12% OFF 
ANY SERVICE
Present coupon at write-up. Not valid with other offers. Valid only at Kia of Brooklyn Park.See service advisor for details. Expires 06/15/12.

It turns out the information listed on the smart USA site is incorrect with regards to a coolant level indicator on the 2013s.  Same gauge cluster as on the previous years. Too bad, looked like we were making progress, especially considering the EU 451s have actual temperature gauges in the instrument cluster.

jwight said:

Thanks for the link to the 2013 model info on smart USA.com!  One eagle-eyed SCoA member noticed the 2013s now come with a coolant level indicator in the gauge cluster - thank you for that!  The obvious question is can that be retrofitted to earlier models?  Just my opinion, but the car still needs a real temperature gauge in the unlikely event the engine starts overheating - it's pretty obvious the current warning light doesn't cut it.

if it sounds too good to be true...

Well said; the 451 is coming to the end of its life and we can only hope the next gen 453 fortwo will address some of these issues.

Putt Putt said:

Why change the cluster now since the '13 is the last of the 451.............

If it makes anyone feel differently, my '10 Subaru doesn't have anything other than an idiot light for engine temp.

well, with a number of smarts over-heating and the warning light is [apparently] not effective in preventing massive damage to the engine, this should be sufficient cause to warrant a slight update to the gage cluster. In fact, it's really not an update as such since the Euro version already has a temp gage, which would suffice in telling you when to shut it down to prevent a high-dollar repair.  It would be different if it required any engineering, but that's already been done...  The real deal is the US is the red-headed step child and is treated aaccordingly.

The EU and US/Canada clusters are not interchangeable in the sense that the displays are totally different.  There are some photos on SCoA showing the differences.  It would be more than a slight update to fit a temp gauge into our cars at this late date.  I think Putt Putt summed it up pretty well.  As to why our cars didn't have the temp gauge from the start, that's a question only the folks at smartville can answer.

Kenny Andersen said:

well, with a number of smarts over-heating and the warning light is [apparently] not effective in preventing massive damage to the engine, this should be sufficient cause to warrant a slight update to the gage cluster. In fact, it's really not an update as such since the Euro version already has a temp gage, which would suffice in telling you when to shut it down to prevent a high-dollar repair.  It would be different if it required any engineering, but that's already been done...  The real deal is the US is the red-headed step child and is treated aaccordingly.

And now for the rest of the story... based on one photo on SCoA I "assumed" the EU gauge cluster has a temp gauge.  Did some checking on various EU country smart sites, as well as FQ101, and it seems the EU clusters are just like ours - no temp gauge.  Sorry for the bad info.

jwight said:

The EU and US/Canada clusters are not interchangeable in the sense that the displays are totally different.  There are some photos on SCoA showing the differences.  It would be more than a slight update to fit a temp gauge into our cars at this late date.  I think Putt Putt summed it up pretty well.  As to why our cars didn't have the temp gauge from the start, that's a question only the folks at smartville can answer.

Kenny Andersen said:

well, with a number of smarts over-heating and the warning light is [apparently] not effective in preventing massive damage to the engine, this should be sufficient cause to warrant a slight update to the gage cluster. In fact, it's really not an update as such since the Euro version already has a temp gage, which would suffice in telling you when to shut it down to prevent a high-dollar repair.  It would be different if it required any engineering, but that's already been done...  The real deal is the US is the red-headed step child and is treated aaccordingly.

I had a Mazda3 which also omitted the temp gauge. Not common, but seems this is something some OEM's feel isn't necessary. I'd prefer to have it myself. It's a curious "trend."

Our resident expert Neonspinnaz did some more checking - seems if you order the factory cruise control the car comes with the electronic dash readout, which apparently (I can't verify this) does include a temperature gauge.  That package was available from the 2011 model on - no idea how many cars were ordered that way.  Of course, for the pre-2011 models and the non- cruise control cars there's no way to get a temp gauge and the "overheat" light seems to be case case of too little too late - when the light comes on the engine's already fried.

Eric Angeloro said:

I had a Mazda3 which also omitted the temp gauge. Not common, but seems this is something some OEM's feel isn't necessary. I'd prefer to have it myself. It's a curious "trend."

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos
  • View All

Videos

  • Add Videos
  • View All

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service