We've started this discussion forum to create a space for smartUSAinsiders to share with us at smart your thoughts, comments, questions and ideas.

We can’t promise you that everything will be answered all the time but what we can promise is that everything will be seen and we will address as much as we can.

We are looking forward to your thoughts, comments, questions and ideas - open your mind...

Views: 18087

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, Eric,

Yeah, the Mn "overheat" indication has been on red for some time, but, as we recall, you indicated that you would let this forum be the first to know if any Mn. service point is available.  We've been hearing rumblings of something in the works.  Anything you can update?  Thanks!

There are many Scions and Honda's running the streets with only a temp light as well, without a full temp gauge...

right, they just don't lose the coolant through the bad head gaskets, so the motor doesn't grenade!  BIG difference!

bad head gaskets?  Because some random guy on the Internet hiding behind a username on a message board says so?  There's no evidence of smart cars having bad head gaskets caused by engine design and assembly.  None. 

There is evidence of owners' neglect causing head gasket damage and engine failure from models of every manufacturer though.

Too many people jump on the 'Recall' bandwagon. there is a difference between isolated incidents and brand wide problems. What we have seen is isolated problems and operator errors.  The worn through coolant line is a different matter. 

As opposed to a brand dupe and apologist (Kmaal knows who he is), there is at least one smart tech that has reported a number of head gasket issues, in fact he says he's seen quite a number of them.  What's the percentage?  I don't know, but I also know it's not isolated.  There have been quite a number of over-heating without warning, or the warning light coming on AFTER the damage has been done.  If the system was tight, there would be no coolant loss -- it's a closed system.  There were a number of smarts that had an improperly installed coolant hose that was rubbing against the chassis, which eventually lead to coolant loss -- this is a confirmed issue.  However, the tech said he hadn't personally seen any of those, but had seen a number of blown head gaskets, which led to coolant loss and subsequent over heating WITHOUT sufficient warning.  You can bury your thick skull in the sand if you want (and you apparently do), but reality goes on without you. anyone faced with a repair bill as high as the car is worth really does have the right to be put out -- especially if it's nothing they did, or could have known about.

I look at this site nearly every day and this is the first time I felt I had to reply. I have a customer and freind that also owns a Smart. I think Hers is a late 2008. She was raised on a farm and can handle any piece of machinery you can imagine and takes care of the farm equipment. We live appox 90 miles from the nearest Smart dealer so she has a local independent MB service her Smart. She started having overheating problems with the Smart, The local service checked out and told her it was something major and to have it taken to the Smart Dealer. They after checking it out found out the head gasket was blown! They told her it will require a complete new head to the tune of $4,000.00! This woman does not abuse her cars and I can't belive this is is not a manufactures defect. I am paranoid about driving my Smart for fear it's going to end with a blown engine. I check the coolant every morning before I leave the house, this should not have to be done every time you want to take a drive. I would like to hear from more people who know about blown hoses and head gaskets.

I shouldn't cost $4K, and as many of these as I'm hearing about, MB should step up to the plate... will they?

T. Max Copenheaver said:

I look at this site nearly every day and this is the first time I felt I had to reply. I have a customer and freind that also owns a Smart. I think Hers is a late 2008. She was raised on a farm and can handle any piece of machinery you can imagine and takes care of the farm equipment. We live appox 90 miles from the nearest Smart dealer so she has a local independent MB service her Smart. She started having overheating problems with the Smart, The local service checked out and told her it was something major and to have it taken to the Smart Dealer. They after checking it out found out the head gasket was blown! They told her it will require a complete new head to the tune of $4,000.00! This woman does not abuse her cars and I can't belive this is is not a manufactures defect. I am paranoid about driving my Smart for fear it's going to end with a blown engine. I check the coolant every morning before I leave the house, this should not have to be done every time you want to take a drive. I would like to hear from more people who know about blown hoses and head gaskets.

Conveniently, you missed the distinction I was making. 

ALL engines from ALL manufacturers are prone to "head gasket failure" if the engine has been severely overheated and/or suffered continued operation in the event of coolant loss. My point regarding the smart car engine is that there is not a head gasket issue resulting from poor assembly or design.  How did you miss that when it is exactly what I said and nothing more?

Kenny Andersen said:

As opposed to a brand dupe and apologist (Kmaal knows who he is), there is at least one smart tech that has reported a number of head gasket issues, in fact he says he's seen quite a number of them.  What's the percentage?  I don't know, but I also know it's not isolated.  There have been quite a number of over-heating without warning, or the warning light coming on AFTER the damage has been done.  If the system was tight, there would be no coolant loss -- it's a closed system.  There were a number of smarts that had an improperly installed coolant hose that was rubbing against the chassis, which eventually lead to coolant loss -- this is a confirmed issue.  However, the tech said he hadn't personally seen any of those, but had seen a number of blown head gaskets, which led to coolant loss and subsequent over heating WITHOUT sufficient warning.  You can bury your thick skull in the sand if you want (and you apparently do), but reality goes on without you. anyone faced with a repair bill as high as the car is worth really does have the right to be put out -- especially if it's nothing they did, or could have known about.

How much do you believe a factory brand new engine, installation, labor, etc, should cost in relation to industry standards?

Kenny Andersen said:

I shouldn't cost $4K, and as many of these as I'm hearing about, MB should step up to the plate... will they?

T. Max Copenheaver said:

Try these two threads on how to access and replace the horn. Good Luck.   We replaced ours with a Wolo Bad Boy which we purchased from Harbor Freight.

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f183/easy-head-light-pod-re...

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f75/tutorial-replacing-fact...

The heater/blower fan and motor can easily be removed in seconds. It is located just above your foot when it is on the gas pedal.  Remove the wire connector, and then there is a tab you pres, turn the assembly a bit and it comes right out. The motor and blades are a one piece unit when it comes out of the car. Probably something laying inside the housing making the noise when the fan is turned on. 

The horn is located just above where the front bumper is on the drivers side. When I replaced mine, I used a louder 2 horn setup, i removed the front end and it made it much easier to wire up. Only about a dozen screws and the front comes off. About an hour the first time, much quicker once you have done it. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service