We've started this discussion forum to create a space for smartUSAinsiders to share with us at smart your thoughts, comments, questions and ideas.

We can’t promise you that everything will be answered all the time but what we can promise is that everything will be seen and we will address as much as we can.

We are looking forward to your thoughts, comments, questions and ideas - open your mind...

Views: 18259

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The OBD II system is more precise, much more informative, and more accurately prevents poor emissions.  It aims for the cleanest emissions rather than the old school approach.  Literally an O2 sensor had to be almost severed before it would throw a code, now an O2 sensor failure can be detected without major incidents occurring to it.

Besides, the paper clip method gets annoying waiting for the flashes anyway...  my two cents.  ;-p

John Knoernschild said:

Seems like many of you have code scanner s. Are you getting so many codes that you felt it was worth the investment? What happened to the good ol' days of paper clips and counting the number of times the light flashed?

I've never had a problem and I work on my car in the garage, not in the house.  My wife has set certainly limits on what I can bring in the house. And she won't let me run the router in the living room... anymore.

SmartJoeMN said:

I don't understand why so many people want a printed manual? I think its great that you can get the info online, you know its always going to be up to date, you don't have a book you are going to loose or accidently rip pages out, and loose. And really... now a days, why would a company print a book? It only makes sense to put it online. Amazon is now selling more e-books than printed books...

OBD-II is only going for general engine issues. You won't see any specialitiy codes such as ABS, SRS, TCU, etc...

Wow, those things are cool and cheaper than the speakers I was looking at.

I have a "garage computer" now... best use for an older computer. 

the days of paper clips and counting the flashes disappeared with the OBDI cars..

I would much rather look through a book than sit in front of a computer screen trying to find a problem on my car. Some things are best left to old school ways. besides, with E-books, once you find what you need, you end up printing out the info anyhow. 

I would love to have a garage computer, but I think I need the 'garage' first..

smart TekInfo would be the best resource, however it's not complete and needs some work in terms of being a resource for the general public. We also have EPCnet for parts that is subscription based, but I am still working on waiving that fee.

While some resources are available, Daimler products are complex and require a trained eye. I know plenty of customers who have gone the DIY route and made things worse. I am not speaking for Daimler, but in my over 10 years with Daimler I believe why you are not seeing a Chilton's manual or similar is because the best course of action is have the vehcile properly diagnosed and serviced by trained technicians with Daimler provided tools. This is especially important if the vehicle is still under warranty.

With all of that said, there are many of you who are hundreds of miles from a smart center and others like Kermit and jwight who are capable DIY's so I want to persue what is possible and what legally we are obligated to provide, etc...

I don't know that publishing a manual is in the cards, but more information online would be. I personally like everything online and usually have my iPad in the garage, but i realize that's not for everyone.

I hope that wasn't too corporate of a response. I do read this thread and try to be as objective as possible. Stay on me on this one.

John Knoernschild said:

I'm not sure how Daimler creating an online resource {TekInfo} and maintenance pdf's and videos is withholding information? Let me ask you this, if you were in the business of publishing would you produce a service manual for a Smart car? Publishing is expensive! You would be lucky if you broke even. Of course M-B wants you back for service. That's what the auto business is all about! Didn't you see "who killed the electric car"?

If smartTek was a little more easily printable, with a more user-friendly long term cost, that would be helpful.  It's easier to handle printed pages with greasy hands than it is an iPad.  ;-p

Eric Angeloro said:

smart TekInfo would be the best resource, however it's not complete and needs some work in terms of being a resource for the general public. We also have EPCnet for parts that is subscription based, but I am still working on waiving that fee.

While some resources are available, Daimler products are complex and require a trained eye. I know plenty of customers who have gone the DIY route and made things worse. I am not speaking for Daimler, but in my over 10 years with Daimler I believe why you are not seeing a Chilton's manual or similar is because the best course of action is have the vehcile properly diagnosed and serviced by trained technicians with Daimler provided tools. This is especially important if the vehicle is still under warranty.

With all of that said, there are many of you who are hundreds of miles from a smart center and others like Kermit and jwight who are capable DIY's so I want to persue what is possible and what legally we are obligated to provide, etc...

I don't know that publishing a manual is in the cards, but more information online would be. I personally like everything online and usually have my iPad in the garage, but i realize that's not for everyone.

I hope that wasn't too corporate of a response. I do read this thread and try to be as objective as possible. Stay on me on this one.

John Knoernschild said:

I'm not sure how Daimler creating an online resource {TekInfo} and maintenance pdf's and videos is withholding information? Let me ask you this, if you were in the business of publishing would you produce a service manual for a Smart car? Publishing is expensive! You would be lucky if you broke even. Of course M-B wants you back for service. That's what the auto business is all about! Didn't you see "who killed the electric car"?

Though I'm sure there are DIYers out there that are a danger to themselves and anyone within a 10 ft. radius, there are many folks who can do most of what needs to be done to a car. I changed the timing belt in dual over-head Honda V-6 with zero-cleance heads and wrote the definitive article on how to do it for the Odyssey forum, and I've also rebuilt a couple of engines and done most of the maintenance on my cars for near 35 years.Other than needing the star system to get the overly complex things like the OEM radio back on line (like anyone would ever steal that thing!) or to get a key made (now where is that bold gold font), there is still a lot a home DIYer can do. The other advantage of having a manual (or CD) is that you can look at a particular procedure ahead of time and determine whether there are any special tools that might be needed and whether you are man enough for the job.

And sure, the advantage to having the material on-line is that they get updated regularly; but, in reality stuff don't change THAT often. I could see that printing a manual might be difficult to justify, but certainly if you can show you have a VIN (450 or 451) you should be able to at least download the manual or CD for a flat fee. That might be a decent compromise between giving the customer the tools he wants/needs, yet not be too big of a pain for MB. It would also be a godsend to people MB has stranded by not arranging dealer support.

I also agree with you Eric, but might change the wording a bit: MB products are often times unnecessarily complex...

Eric Angeloro said:

When I travel with my other car that I do have a "printed" service manual (It's a 1990) I must say it doesn't come with me... However I do always bring a laptop or at least my cell phone which I could always get service on...

I realize there are times it would be nice to have a printed manual, but it's not going to happen guys, the cost isn't justified... Need to find that image of being a dead horse at this point.....

you may not get a printed manual, but there is no reason you couldn't download a pdf, or get a CD -- both of which are very cheap -- especially the electronic download!  Come on -- electrons are nearly free!

Test mule smart fortwo spotted: http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2012/08/scoop-first-2014-smart-fortwo-...

Could be the rumored Renault/Daimler collaboration.

And a couple of photos:

jwight said:

Test mule smart fortwo spotted: http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2012/08/scoop-first-2014-smart-fortwo-...

Could be the rumored Renault/Daimler collaboration.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service