We've started this discussion forum to create a space for smartUSAinsiders to share with us at smart your thoughts, comments, questions and ideas.

We can’t promise you that everything will be answered all the time but what we can promise is that everything will be seen and we will address as much as we can.

We are looking forward to your thoughts, comments, questions and ideas - open your mind...

Views: 17915

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's an excellent point that M-B and smart USA/DVI could pursue - there's no DVD version for the smart, unlike other M-B cars.  They should correct that IMHO.

Jesse Zeno Chen said:

I'm not sure there is any secrecy with the smart, the information is there on the startek site. My assumption is that there has been a shift to web based diagnostics/testing. I tried to purchase manuals for our '09 C Class and they said they are making this shift. This makes sense as updates to procedures can be easily made available on the web, and not as easily to those with printed, or as in our case the DVD archives we have for our W123, W126, and W201, which I was able to purchase from MB.

Not sure how generic an UltraGauge is but it works on our smart, reads and clears codes.  Also had an auto parts place in Canada check for codes and their scanner worked.

Jeff Sears said:

Hi Kamaal   Thanks for the tpms info, that makes sence. But my prob is my scan tool wont comunicate with the car at  all, mine is a full feature cheeper type but a local mech with a newer snapon tool wouldnt work either. I made a asumption of guilt to Smart/Daimler and there star system?. I may have a problem with my OBD II outlet in my car. Thanks for the info. I`ll ck the connector. Has anyone else used a generic scan tool on there Smart? Jeff

Kamaal said:

*TPMS, tire pressure monitoring system (not TPS)!  (Missed my 15-minute edit time deadline)

Kamaal said:

TPS codes are not required to be read by OBD II scan tools.  OBD II are for emissions issues and anything else is an additional feature offered by the specific scan tool being used.  That's why scan tools can run anywhere from roughly $20 to well into the $1,000s.  Some do only what's required by law, some do way more including giving you step by step instructions on how where to begin your repair first.

If you must read specifically Tire Pressure Monitoring codes, a tire pressure monitor scan tool is needed for that.  Maybe one day in the future the OBD II scan tools will be mandated to offer tire pressure monitoring to its codes list.

The smart car offers information to all OBD II scan tools plugged into it.  You get a code.  The smart car is no different than many other cars in this regard.

I have heard of one smart that had a problem with one of the wires going to the OBDII port, and it is quite possible there could be a wire broken or out of place on the port.  have used the inexpensive scanners with no problem on my car, and I have a ScangaugeII plugged in pretty much all the time with no issues. 

Thanks for the suggestion. It's definitely a possibility.

jwight said:

That's an excellent point that M-B and smart USA/DVI could pursue - there's no DVD version for the smart, unlike other M-B cars.  They should correct that IMHO.

Jesse Zeno Chen said:

I'm not sure there is any secrecy with the smart, the information is there on the startek site. My assumption is that there has been a shift to web based diagnostics/testing. I tried to purchase manuals for our '09 C Class and they said they are making this shift. This makes sense as updates to procedures can be easily made available on the web, and not as easily to those with printed, or as in our case the DVD archives we have for our W123, W126, and W201, which I was able to purchase from MB.

Your OBD II scan tool might simply be old or out of date with its software.  They continually need upgrades for newer models.  If yours is capable of an upgrade, contact the manufacturer of your scan tool and ask for a software update with all the latest models.  Otherwise, your scan tool just might be too old to recognize a smart car and it may be time for a new one.

An assumption of guilt?  I believe so.  Try a few other scan tools, I'm confident you will find one that works properly for your car.  European and Korean brands have been known to cause some scan tool trouble.

Jeff Sears said:

Hi Kamaal   Thanks for the tpms info, that makes sence. But my prob is my scan tool wont comunicate with the car at  all, mine is a full feature cheeper type but a local mech with a newer snapon tool wouldnt work either. I made a asumption of guilt to Smart/Daimler and there star system?. I may have a problem with my OBD II outlet in my car. Thanks for the info. I`ll ck the connector. Has anyone else used a generic scan tool on there Smart? Jeff

Kamaal said:

*TPMS, tire pressure monitoring system (not TPS)!  (Missed my 15-minute edit time deadline)

Kamaal said:

TPS codes are not required to be read by OBD II scan tools.  OBD II are for emissions issues and anything else is an additional feature offered by the specific scan tool being used.  That's why scan tools can run anywhere from roughly $20 to well into the $1,000s.  Some do only what's required by law, some do way more including giving you step by step instructions on how where to begin your repair first.

If you must read specifically Tire Pressure Monitoring codes, a tire pressure monitor scan tool is needed for that.  Maybe one day in the future the OBD II scan tools will be mandated to offer tire pressure monitoring to its codes list.

The smart car offers information to all OBD II scan tools plugged into it.  You get a code.  The smart car is no different than many other cars in this regard.

I use a Scangauge II on my 2009 smart and it works well.  It reads the codes and will reset faults.

Jeff Sears said:

But my prob is my scan tool wont comunicate with the car at  all, mine is a full feature cheaper type but a local mech with a newer snapon tool wouldnt work either. I made an assumption of guilt to Smart/Daimler and there star system?. I may have a problem with my OBD II outlet in my car. Thanks for the info. I`ll ck the connector. Has anyone else used a generic scan tool on there Smart? Jeff

I have used my ScangaugeII and a cheapo unit bought off Ebay for $30. both work fine. 

I don't understand why so many people want a printed manual? I think its great that you can get the info online, you know its always going to be up to date, you don't have a book you are going to loose or accidently rip pages out, and loose. And really... now a days, why would a company print a book? It only makes sense to put it online. Amazon is now selling more e-books than printed books...

OBD-II is only going for general engine issues. You won't see any specialitiy codes such as ABS, SRS, TCU, etc...

I don't like getting grease on my computer. ;)
Seems like many of you have code scanner s. Are you getting so many codes that you felt it was worth the investment? What happened to the good ol' days of paper clips and counting the number of times the light flashed?

With my scangage it not only shows the codes, it also gives a lot of stats at one time.  So you can while you're driving see your MPG, RPM, and Avg MPG.  It also gives me engine temperature, which is nice when I'm driving in the mountains and have my tray on the back.  The extra weight can make the little engine work harder, thereby raising the engine temperature.

Google ScanGuage or UltraGauge - those are the most popular.  Reading and clearing codes is a secondary function; they are really handy for displaying all sorts of real time info from the OBD port.

John Knoernschild said:

Seems like many of you have code scanner s. Are you getting so many codes that you felt it was worth the investment? What happened to the good ol' days of paper clips and counting the number of times the light flashed?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service