We've started this discussion forum to create a space for smartUSAinsiders to share with us at smart your thoughts, comments, questions and ideas.

We can’t promise you that everything will be answered all the time but what we can promise is that everything will be seen and we will address as much as we can.

We are looking forward to your thoughts, comments, questions and ideas - open your mind...

Views: 18180

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Eric, adding this to the Events section and sending a message blast to the CO group on Insider should help get the word out too.  At this time, this is not listed as an event on Insider. There is a post about it on SCoA already.  I'll send a PM to Katie and offer assistance if needed.

Eric Angeloro said:
Maybe smartUSA could support with a Facebook and twitter post.  Thoughts?

Russell Glissmann said:
An invitation to all SMARTies!  Mercedes Benz of Westminster Colorado is sponsoring a huge party for SMART car owners!  This is going to happen on November 9 at 6:30 PM, and is open to all SMART Car owners, from anywhere, not just the Denver Metro area.  Brother's Barbecue will be served, along with great door prizes.  There will discussions from SMART technicians, as well as a Q&A session.  In addition there will also be a presentation from a member of the Mercedes Benz club about how the SMART is the only car without a Mercedes Benz emblem on the grill allowed in the club!  I'd love to say that there would be drawing for a new SMART, but I'm sure that MB would be upset about that, however don't let a little thing like that deter you from visiting this wonderful facility in Westminster Colorado.  There has been much discussion about how bad some dealers are, well this is an opportunity to see what the best dealer looks like! Please RSVP to Katie O'Neil at koneil@mbwestminster.com .  Don't miss this event!!!!

This is a repeat of what I wrote on SCOA Club Forum:

It's sad to see that this event was canceled but I understand the reasons.

I am involved with a RV brand club that has great success from local chapter rallies to annual North American rallies. In fact, I'm now attending my 4th rally this year near Mt. Rushmore.

What I have learned from this RV organization is that the RV manufacturer not only supports the club, it hired a full time Director of Owners Interests who is also the club president.

I think the recipe for a great smart rally/event to occur, smartUSA has to step up to the plate and support us.

In 2007 when I reserved my 2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupé on-line, my wife thought I was crazy.  After test driving a car in June 2007 during a road show event near Boston, my wife began to understand why I was interested in the smart.  Over the past 3 ½ years and over 43,000 miles (69,200km), we have grown to love the smart and I even surprised myself how much I have come to enjoy my smart since my previous car was a Mazda RX-8.  Driving around Southern Maine my smart is still a rarity and continues to draws, looks, smiles, thumbs-up, and many questions when I stop at a store or for gas.

I am very pleased to hear Mercedes is committed to the smart brand in the USA.  My advice to help the brand grow (beyond the advertising which was sorely needed) is to increase the servicing network.  I drive 80 miles (128km) from Maine to Lynnfield, MA to the nearest smart center for servicing by a trained Technician and have done so for every scheduled maintenance need.  Even if Mercedes did not wish to add more smart centers at this point, if they would invest in training one (1) Service Technician at every Mercedes Dealership in America on how to service a smart car, I believe that would help the brand grow.  I have two Mercedes Dealers with a 35 minute drive from my house and that would make routine service much more accessible.  I am hoping in the next few years to purchase a smart fortwo Electric Drive, and that would make the need for more local servicing even greater because of the range of the electric car.

News has already begun to spread about the 2012 Scion IQ coming the US starting this month, and most of the early reviews tend to compare it to the smart and how much better 3+1 seating and a CVT are than the smart.  I disagree and feel smart should extol the virtues of the fortwo as compared to the IQ.  For example, over the past three years I have had only myself in the car about 95% of the time, and can only count on one hand the number of times I wish I could have taken more than two in the car, so I see no need for a back seat.  I prefer to have the available cargo space.  The visibility from the smart is great, and I have already heard negative reviews about the IQ upward visibility around traffic lights because the driver seat sits farther back than the passenger seat.  There have been times I have backed into a curb to park my smart, the IQ being longer would make that option awkward at best.  The plastic body panels on my smart have saved many a parking lot incident, the steel body on the IQ will be very susceptible to dents in similar situations.  Last but not least for Maine is Winter driving, my smart is one of the best cars I have ever owned in the snow, and having the paddle shifters I feel I can always be in the best gear for the conditions without taking my hands off the wheel and the rear engine/rear wheel drive is a great combination.

The bottom line for smart to compete is to promote its virtues compared to other cars like the IQ and not to focus on one thing like the transmission (which I have no problem with by the way).

Just my thoughts.

Great idea - some have suggested the idea of a "smart homecoming" at the Montvale, NJ M-B USA headquarters, as well as a joint US/Canadian smart gathering in the Niagara Falls area.   Overall, we need more involvement from DVI to help the larger events succeed. 

Putt Putt said:
Very well put.  You have done a stellar job in the orgization of the Dragon events.  It was actually an INTERNATIONAL event with several folks for Canada.   On the flip side, there heav been events in Ca, Kansas (Nationals) , Wisconson, and Daytaona (Not) .  I would think that an event up in the North East where the per capita is the highest in the nation would be in order.   It's certainly  close to home (for me) and to the Mother ship..................If they even have any interest in anything besides them selves. 

Gary Bryers said:

As an organizer of smart events (3 years doing the outSMARTing the Dragon event, plus local events as well), I can say with some level of expertise that we, as owners, have little ability to reach out to other smart owners, unless they happen to haunt the various smart social networks (here, SCOA, Club Smar Car, etc.).  In the past, we have tried any number of methods of engaging local dealerships to assist, with varying degrees of success and/or failure - from requesting an email blast (my dealership did this once for me, the first year of the Dragon, but not since), to posting flyers (I made up a pile of posters last year (Dragon 2), and sent them to 19 different east-coast and mid-west dealerships, with only a relative few agreeing to hang the posters - something about restrictions imposed by the mothership.  As event organizers, we are not asking for full news kits, promotional materials, and so forth - just assistance reaching those that don't even know these social sites exist.  I won't claim that this was the only factor in attendance, but the first year, with an email blast from the dealership, we had 104 register, 84 actually make it. Year two, with the posters in some places, no email, we had 80+ register, and 70+ make it. This year, with no advertising aside from the event calendars on the sites, we had 43 show up.  An attempt was made to host the second "nationals" event in Florida, and was canceled for lack of early registration.  We are floundering.

So, we are asking for help, and the kind that takes no real financial outlay on the company's part - just help us get out the word.  Is this something we might be able to get this year?

Thansk

Maybe a more centrally located national event at the new Minnesota dealership opening in 2012.!
More like 2013! :D

Stephen C Hokonson said:
Maybe a more centrally located national event at the new Minnesota dealership opening in 2012.!

Our theme could be, "Woe be gone - where all Smarts are dazzling and dealers above average."

yeah, that will get some corporate support... not.  Let's keep it positive.
can any one explain just how a turbocharger would help a smart can? the engine is already running at 10-1 compression ratio and diesel starts at 13-1 so just how much more compression can you add before you have to go to 108 octaineracing fuel?
Kenny, it was a reference to  a weekly radio show (A Prairie Home Companion, Garrison Keiler) , ostensibly held at Lake Woe-b-gone, where "all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average."
Probably better off asking here: http://www.smartusainsider.com/forum/categories/2029424:Category:13...

Glibberish said:
can any one explain just how a turbocharger would help a smart can? the engine is already running at 10-1 compression ratio and diesel starts at 13-1 so just how much more compression can you add before you have to go to 108 octaineracing fuel?
I read it too fast, I thought he was saying the cars were dazzling, but the dealers merely average (which, after visiting the SCOA one might be lead to believe it to be true...  Yeah, I know there were some good ones out there, and good ones lost in the takeover, so we'll know shortly how the whole thing is working out.

Gary Bryers said:
Kenny, it was a reference to  a weekly radio show (A Prairie Home Companion, Garrison Keiler) , ostensibly held at Lake Woe-b-gone, where "all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average."

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service