We've started this discussion forum to create a space for smartUSAinsiders to share with us at smart your thoughts, comments, questions and ideas.

We can’t promise you that everything will be answered all the time but what we can promise is that everything will be seen and we will address as much as we can.

We are looking forward to your thoughts, comments, questions and ideas - open your mind...

Views: 18334

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Kenny, 

I watched it. It's cute. I am not sure I get the message behind it and how that jives with the higher performance of this Fiat model. How many Amercians know what an ABARTH is?  It's fun and is dripping with sex which I guess is a good thing, but this is definitely not a "performance" spot and would work better as the Gucci edition commercial and not the ABARTH in my opinion.  Time will tell I suppose. 

- E

Kenny Andersen said:

The new fiat 500 Abarth commercial (in Italian) is REALLY good -- that's what advertising should be!  do a search on it!

I have to agree with you, Eric.  It does drip with sex, and is fun, and I love the Italian accent of whomever is doing the commercial, but it really doesn't sell me on the car.  However, there seems to be a lot of commercials like that.  I like the Jennifer Lopez Gucci commercial better.  That does sell the car (even though I doubt that J-Lo would ever be seen actually driving a Fiat).

I never have seen the second SMART commercial though...

Eric Angeloro said:

Kenny, 

I watched it. It's cute. I am not sure I get the message behind it and how that jives with the higher performance of this Fiat model. How many Amercians know what an ABARTH is?  It's fun and is dripping with sex which I guess is a good thing, but this is definitely not a "performance" spot and would work better as the Gucci edition commercial and not the ABARTH in my opinion.  Time will tell I suppose. 

- E

Kenny Andersen said:

The new fiat 500 Abarth commercial (in Italian) is REALLY good -- that's what advertising should be!  do a search on it!

sex, success, and fun sells cars.  Car nuts [like us] probably aren't swayed as much by it, but perhaps we aren't that 'normal'.  Sex sells cars, always has, always will.  The commercial is fun, it has energy, sex-appeal, and the car pops at the end.  FAR more dynamic than anything the counter-culture, anti-whatever commercials smart has done.  Just saying...  Car guys will already be sold with the 160 HP 170ft-Lb of torque etc.  A little sexiness on top of the specs certainly won't hurt.  So far the smart commercial neither posses any of these attributes, nor do they give ANY significant information about the car.  I'm not sure who their ad agency is, but they should be flogged first, and then fired!

As mentioned numerous times by numerous people in numerous places, smarts are niche cars - they don't and won't appeal to everyone, especially in the USA.  It's possible to make a car that has wide appeal and put a smart badge on it, but will it really be a smart? Not in my opinion.  Not everyone likes all cars, and the cars that sell in large numbers are those that fit the mold for "normal" in the USA.  The smart doesn't, and I for one am more than happy with that.  I don't care if others buy the smart or not, although I'm happy to explain the virtues and quirks of the car to anyone who asks.  If they choose not to buy, it's their loss.

The smart doesn't look like other cars so why should the ads for a smart look like those for other cars.  I for one am tired of ads that sell sex instead of the product.

I would like to see some ads that highlight the cars features including the safety features.

+1

Jill Hobbs said:

The smart doesn't look like other cars so why should the ads for a smart look like those for other cars.  I for one am tired of ads that sell sex instead of the product.

I would like to see some ads that highlight the cars features including the safety features.

not ONLY sex! LOL but there is NOTHING fun about the smart commercials -- they just leave folks scratching their heads!  Show some folk having fun, living it up, getting a unique parking place, and using the car in useful ways.  Un un un .... Un!  It ain't going nowhere.  Fire the ad agency and get someone who knows how to sell cars!

At the end of the day, the advertising is a subjective topic.  Not everyone will love what you put out there.  All of you make valid points.  At smart, we are in awareness mode.  We need more people to know about us.  We are building a story around what the smart brand is and the culture you guys created is all about.  We are speaking more to lifestyle at this point and why it's cool to be part of the smart family.  It's a shift in mindset for our country.

'unbig' is being followed by 'unclutter' which is a very cool spot for us. It is currently running on most major networks.  And as we are beginning to do with the Sundance spots, we will then follow-up with more product specific pieces like Kenny is asking for.  

Marketing is important for us, but we have other important tasks at hand too like bolstering our dealer network, working on ways to make EV a successful product in our product portfolio, and redesigning sUSAi and smartusa.com so our customer experiences throughout all touchpoints (web and out of the home) are unique and memorable.

Keep the feedback coming and I am glad we are all able to debate these topics here on sUSAi.

- E

Has the "Unclutter" commercial been posted to an online source for viewing yet?

Not yet Russell.  It will be in the coming weeks and we will post it here as soon as it is available.

Russell Glissmann said:

Has the "Unclutter" commercial been posted to an online source for viewing yet?

honestly you can go anywhere and get the oil changed, or filters etc.  That stuff is also REALLY easy to do yourself.  You should have figured out by now that [evidently] hope and change are slow...

just tell the tech that does the change to be careful with the plug, it is about 3 inches long with a filter screen on it.  i get 2/3 of my changes done at the quick change place on the corner.

Kenny Andersen said:

honestly you can go anywhere and get the oil changed, or filters etc.  That stuff is also REALLY easy to do yourself.  You should have figured out by now that [evidently] hope and change are slow...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service