We've started this discussion forum to create a space for smartUSAinsiders to share with us at smart your thoughts, comments, questions and ideas.

We can’t promise you that everything will be answered all the time but what we can promise is that everything will be seen and we will address as much as we can.

We are looking forward to your thoughts, comments, questions and ideas - open your mind...

Views: 18330

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I thought the whole point of going to a industry wide standard (OBD II) was so a mechanic , shop or owner did not have to buy a reader from EVERY manufacturer and could read all new vehicles with a generic OBD II compliant reader???. Is this the same thinking from a company that wont sell us a "factory" repair manual either . It stinks.

jwight said:

Did that particular dealer have a smart center?  If not, they are not an authorized smart service provider.  Same with Sprinter vans; not all M-B dealers sell them and only the ones that do can provide the complete range of services. 

Kathy or Gary said:

I went to a Mercedes dealer & was sent away because their computer was not licensed to access the OBD on my smart. That sounds kinda UNSMART to me. The "parent" company can't service one of their own products?

Stephen C Hokonson said:

What is so confusing and exasperating is that local dealers are claiming to service smarts, Rochester is dangled as a possibility or a new dealership, and Eric remains mum about his "service point" promise of ages ago. The miscommunication problem frustrates all of us.  A bit of staight forward honesty might be refreshing!

It's not the OBD port causing the issue, it's access to the information needed to diagnose M-B product problems.  As far as I know, the smart portion of the Mercedes WIS (Workshop Information System) information can only be accessed by M-B dealers which have contracted to sell smarts.  If that's not the case hopefully somebody can clarify the situation.

Jeff Sears said:

I thought the whole point of going to a industry wide standard (OBD II) was so a mechanic , shop or owner did not have to buy a reader from EVERY manufacturer and could read all new vehicles with a generic OBD II compliant reader???. Is this the same thinking from a company that wont sell us a "factory" repair manual either . It stinks.

jwight said:

Did that particular dealer have a smart center?  If not, they are not an authorized smart service provider.  Same with Sprinter vans; not all M-B dealers sell them and only the ones that do can provide the complete range of services. 

Kathy or Gary said:

I went to a Mercedes dealer & was sent away because their computer was not licensed to access the OBD on my smart. That sounds kinda UNSMART to me. The "parent" company can't service one of their own products?

Stephen C Hokonson said:

What is so confusing and exasperating is that local dealers are claiming to service smarts, Rochester is dangled as a possibility or a new dealership, and Eric remains mum about his "service point" promise of ages ago. The miscommunication problem frustrates all of us.  A bit of staight forward honesty might be refreshing!

Yes, the port is OBD II compliant , but a std OBD II scan tool cant comunicate with the car due to a lock out program that only lets licensed users access it. That is at best skirting the laws and at worst breaking them, defeating one of the main reasons for the OBD II system to begin with. So Damiler/Smart is telling me I have to drive 5hrs one way to a Smart dealer to see why my TPMS has a problem...really ! And my own OBD II scanner that has worked on EVERY make of car Ive tried it on with a OBD II system except my Smart cant be allowed to work unless Daimler gets there ransom. B.S. !

The UltraGauge (and ScanGuage as far as I know) can read OBD codes on the smart and clear a lot of them, but that's as far as it goes.  Anything more in depth will require a STAR computer with access to the smart info on the WIS.

Jeff Sears said:

Yes, the port is OBD II compliant , but a std OBD II scan tool cant comunicate with the car due to a lock out program that only lets licensed users access it. That is at best skirting the laws and at worst breaking them, defeating one of the main reasons for the OBD II system to begin with. So Damiler/Smart is telling me I have to drive 5hrs one way to a Smart dealer to see why my TPMS has a problem...really ! And my own OBD II scanner that has worked on EVERY make of car Ive tried it on with a OBD II system except my Smart cant be allowed to work unless Daimler gets there ransom. B.S. !

yes Jeff, not only does it suck, but the whole no-we-won't-sell-you-a-manual thing irritates the bodily waste out of me! This is the first car I've owned in 35 years that I couldn't buy a manual for. It's frankly rediculous and will only hurt sales in the end. Much of what smart M/B does is very short-sighted and show a consistent lack of strategic planning.  I'm getting used to it!

Jeff Sears said:

M-B may not have paper manuals but as we know any owner or maintenance shop can access the smart TekInfo system (for a fee) to get service and repair information.  Here's the direct link:  http://www.smarttekinfo.com/SmartTek/  but there's also a link on the smart USA site under the Owners/Operate and Service your smart page.  smart technical information can also be had for a fee from http://www.alldata.com/.

Kenny Andersen said:

yes Jeff, not only does it suck, but the whole no-we-won't-sell-you-a-manual thing irritates the bodily waste out of me! This is the first car I've owned in 35 years that I couldn't buy a manual for. It's frankly rediculous and will only hurt sales in the end. Much of what smart M/B does is very short-sighted and show a consistent lack of strategic planning.  I'm getting used to it!

Jeff Sears said:

TPS codes are not required to be read by OBD II scan tools.  OBD II are for emissions issues and anything else is an additional feature offered by the specific scan tool being used.  That's why scan tools can run anywhere from roughly $20 to well into the $1,000s.  Some do only what's required by law, some do way more including giving you step by step instructions on how where to begin your repair first.

If you must read specifically Tire Pressure Monitoring codes, a tire pressure monitor scan tool is needed for that.  Maybe one day in the future the OBD II scan tools will be mandated to offer tire pressure monitoring to its codes list.

The smart car offers information to all OBD II scan tools plugged into it.  You get a code.  The smart car is no different than many other cars in this regard.

What you're complaining about is a non-issue because the OBD II scan tools DO work and they DO communicate with the smart car.  They provide you with the necessary code. 

If one is seeking codes for brakes, tire pressure, airbags, etc, an OBD II scanner is not the proper scan tool.

You can find OBD scanners that do more than simple OBD codes.  I happen to own an OBD II scanner that also scans many other systems.  But then again, it is an expensive scan tool.  So in other words, more expensive scan tools typically scan for more than OBD codes. 

Jeff Sears said:

jwight said:

Kathy or Gary said:

Stephen C Hokonson said:

yeah, by all accounts the alldata site is pretty skimpy, and the SmartTek site cumbersome to use. Additionally, with the SmartTek sitre you pay, and pay and pay... bogus, silly, annoying, stupid.  NONE of that will replace a manual. Again, in 38 years of car ownership, first car ever that I couldn't buy a manual for.

jwight said:

M-B may not have paper manuals but as we know any owner or maintenance shop can access the smart TekInfo system (for a fee) to get service and repair information.  Here's the direct link:  http://www.smarttekinfo.com/SmartTek/  but there's also a link on the smart USA site under the Owners/Operate and Service your smart page.  smart technical information can also be had for a fee from http://www.alldata.com/.

*TPMS, tire pressure monitoring system (not TPS)!  (Missed my 15-minute edit time deadline)

Kamaal said:

TPS codes are not required to be read by OBD II scan tools.  OBD II are for emissions issues and anything else is an additional feature offered by the specific scan tool being used.  That's why scan tools can run anywhere from roughly $20 to well into the $1,000s.  Some do only what's required by law, some do way more including giving you step by step instructions on how where to begin your repair first.

If you must read specifically Tire Pressure Monitoring codes, a tire pressure monitor scan tool is needed for that.  Maybe one day in the future the OBD II scan tools will be mandated to offer tire pressure monitoring to its codes list.

The smart car offers information to all OBD II scan tools plugged into it.  You get a code.  The smart car is no different than many other cars in this regard.

Of all the cars you have owned, how many were as rare as the Smart? I live in a highly populated area and there are not too many Smarts around. Now I would love a service manual and so would you, but how many others? 1000? That would probably be a high number. It's not worth it for Smart to produce. 

Kenny Andersen said:

yeah, by all accounts the alldata site is pretty skimpy, and the SmartTek site cumbersome to use. Additionally, with the SmartTek sitre you pay, and pay and pay... bogus, silly, annoying, stupid.  NONE of that will replace a manual. Again, in 38 years of car ownership, first car ever that I couldn't buy a manual for.

jwight said:

The smart isn't rare. It might be a bit rare in the states (or in your neighborhood), but even then smart sold about 41000 in the US in just 2008 and 2009 and over 50,000 total to-date. World-wide there have been several hundred thousand sold! There is no manual because that was a choice made by MB. I can only assume they are trying to enhance their revenue. There would be a huge demand for a manual. They basically want to hold both the customer and the dealers by the 84!!$. So, I think this is as good a place as any to let them know many of us thinks this sucks pretty bad and hope they reconsider.

My other car is a 1963 FIAT 500. Just 300 were imported into the states originally between 1958 and 1960. -- maybe a 500+ since then (maybe far less). I had no trouble finding a manual AND in English both from the manufacturer and an after-market manual. I plan on buying an Abarth next.  My guess is that I waill have NO trouble getting a manual.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service