We've started this discussion forum to create a space for smartUSAinsiders to share with us at smart your thoughts, comments, questions and ideas.

We can’t promise you that everything will be answered all the time but what we can promise is that everything will be seen and we will address as much as we can.

We are looking forward to your thoughts, comments, questions and ideas - open your mind...

Views: 18331

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Might as well complain about the color of the sky.  Mercedes doesn't do paper manuals, end of story.  Like it, hate it, doesn't matter - there ain't gonna be an official printed manual for any of their cars.

Kenny Andersen said:

The smart isn't rare. It might be a bit rare in the states (or in your neighborhood), but even then smart sold about 41000 in the US in just 2008 and 2009 and over 50,000 total to-date. World-wide there have been several hundred thousand sold! There is no manual because that was a choice made by MB. I can only assume they are trying to enhance their revenue. There would be a huge demand for a manual. They basically want to hold both the customer and the dealers by the 84!!$. So, I think this is as good a place as any to let them know many of us thinks this sucks pretty bad and hope they reconsider.

My other car is a 1963 FIAT 500. Just 300 were imported into the states originally between 1958 and 1960. -- maybe a 500+ since then (maybe far less). I had no trouble finding a manual AND in English both from the manufacturer and an after-market manual. I plan on buying an Abarth next.  My guess is that I waill have NO trouble getting a manual.

you are right, I don't have to like it.  What I don't get is why Chilton, Haynes or someone else doesn't make one considering the fairly large numbers of smarts that have sold world-wide. I'd sure a shootin' buy one!

jwight said:

Might as well complain about the color of the sky.  Mercedes doesn't do paper manuals, end of story.  Like it, hate it, doesn't matter - there ain't gonna be an official printed manual for any of their cars.

Because Mercedes would sue them into the next century. 

Kenny Andersen said:

you are right, I don't have to like it.  What I don't get is why Chilton, Haynes or someone else doesn't make one considering the fairly large numbers of smarts that have sold world-wide. I'd sure a shootin' buy one!

jwight said:

I'm really not sure how they could unless they plagiarized something MB produced. Those guys make manuals for all kinds of cars.  If it were illegal, then everybody would be suing them, and AFAIK, that ain't happening.

jwight said:

Kenny Andersen said:

jwight said:

No it isn't; most (if not all) of the other manufacturers (the ones still in business, anyway) aren't as proprietary with their information as Mercedes is.  So I'm left with the conclusion that if Haynes or Chilton couold do it they would, and the only reason they aren't is because something is preventing them.  My best guess - the mothership in Stuttgart.

Kenny Andersen said:

I'm really not sure how they could unless they plagiarized something MB produced. Those guys make manuals for all kinds of cars.  If it were illegal, then everybody would be suing them, and AFAIK, that ain't happening.

jwight said:

Kenny Andersen said:

jwight said:

could be 

jwight said:

No it isn't; most (if not all) of the other manufacturers (the ones still in business, anyway) aren't as proprietary with their information as Mercedes is.  So I'm left with the conclusion that if Haynes or Chilton couold do it they would, and the only reason they aren't is because something is preventing them.  My best guess - the mothership in Stuttgart.

Kenny Andersen said:

I'm not sure how Daimler creating an online resource {TekInfo} and maintenance pdf's and videos is withholding information? Let me ask you this, if you were in the business of publishing would you produce a service manual for a Smart car? Publishing is expensive! You would be lucky if you broke even. Of course M-B wants you back for service. That's what the auto business is all about! Didn't you see "who killed the electric car"?

Until all the other car companies start mainstreaming their products with the self-shifting manual transmissions, flexible and easily replaceable body panels, rear engine, rear transmission, rear wheel drive, smallest on the road, with tridion safety cells, and more, Mercedes deserves the right to be proprietary with its smart car. 

It's a car at a low price starting at only $12,490 + fees in the U.S.  Go find paper manuals for all other cars costing well over $100k and then we'll hold a serious conversation.  Just because you might find a manual for a Civic doesn't mean you'll find one for a Ferrari FF.  The smart car just happens to be a well protected car because it's unique.

Otherwise, the information is available online via smart USA's owners website.  Via smart "[TekInfo] offers more than 10,000 technical documents in one place," per http://owners.smartusa.com.

LOL, 2 apologist is a row. Look, for most high-end products I could see where most MB customers won't be working on their cars, so the on-line system makes more sense and allows MB to fleece the stealers a little more efficiently, but the smart is a pretty cheap car, and many of the folks that buy one would prefer to work on them themselves -- it's a bit different situation. Question still begs that almost every other company makes them available BUT MB! They can do what the want, but I know I'm not the only one who is irritated by it.

Thanks, Kamaal and jwright for providing responses somewhat in the interests of MB, but the original input from MB that we were given regarding this forum said, "We can’t promise you that everything will be answered all the time but what we can promise is that everything will be seen and we will address as much as we can."  Do you think we could possibly get responses from Eric, MB admin or someone regarding Minnesota, manuals, or maybe, just an acknowledgment that we really are waiting for Godot.

I'm not sure there is any secrecy with the smart, the information is there on the startek site. My assumption is that there has been a shift to web based diagnostics/testing. I tried to purchase manuals for our '09 C Class and they said they are making this shift. This makes sense as updates to procedures can be easily made available on the web, and not as easily to those with printed, or as in our case the DVD archives we have for our W123, W126, and W201, which I was able to purchase from MB.

Hi Kamaal   Thanks for the tpms info, that makes sence. But my prob is my scan tool wont comunicate with the car at  all, mine is a full feature cheeper type but a local mech with a newer snapon tool wouldnt work either. I made a asumption of guilt to Smart/Daimler and there star system?. I may have a problem with my OBD II outlet in my car. Thanks for the info. I`ll ck the connector. Has anyone else used a generic scan tool on there Smart? Jeff

Kamaal said:

*TPMS, tire pressure monitoring system (not TPS)!  (Missed my 15-minute edit time deadline)

Kamaal said:

TPS codes are not required to be read by OBD II scan tools.  OBD II are for emissions issues and anything else is an additional feature offered by the specific scan tool being used.  That's why scan tools can run anywhere from roughly $20 to well into the $1,000s.  Some do only what's required by law, some do way more including giving you step by step instructions on how where to begin your repair first.

If you must read specifically Tire Pressure Monitoring codes, a tire pressure monitor scan tool is needed for that.  Maybe one day in the future the OBD II scan tools will be mandated to offer tire pressure monitoring to its codes list.

The smart car offers information to all OBD II scan tools plugged into it.  You get a code.  The smart car is no different than many other cars in this regard.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service