I read at http://www.thestate.com/2012/03/07/2180787/hype-over-electric-cars-...

that Daimler is planning to be selling electric Smart for $21k. Is this going to be the going price in the US or in Europe? Or is the author of the article completely wrong?

Views: 1292

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dariusz, 

The author is not completely wrong. We at smart USA cannot confirm this price, however, Daimler is working extremely hard to offer the EV3 this fall at a really compelling price and offer lease and financing options where it was lease only before. I think when the new gen EV hits this fall, it's going to be hard to beat in terms of price point and features.

If it were $21K do you think there would be a lot of takers in our country?

Here's another article from the PR newswire: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/07/business/global/hype-over-electri... 

We have competition in the Mitsubishi 'i car'. Kinda ironic that our US cars have Mitsubishi Gas engines in them.

MJB 

$21,000 sounds like a competitive price, but who wants to drive a car called "erectile dysfunction"??? What are they smoking at Smart headquarters???

I work at a smart center and have the paperwork all filled out for a smart ED Gen III.

I REALLY want to get the first one that comes off the boat in Baltimore.

The only thing I don't have is PRICE? ? ?

smartUSA keeps saying they will be available in Sept?

If so, we need to start taking orders NOW.

And to take orders, we need to know HOW MUCH IT IS GOING TO COST?

If the price including the battery was $21,000 then they would sell very well, but you know that price  left out the battery leasing of $85 a month or $1000 a year. That takes the car up to the same price as the i MIEV and that carries four passengers. I was interested in the gen2 Smart until they priced it at over $45,000. I still don't think it makes sense economically versus a ice Smart as far as overall cost of ownership even with the price of gasoline at $5 a gallon but the gen3 will be tempting from an eco friendly standpoint. I think that Daimler needs to stay focused on lowering  the overall cost of ownership because if the price isn't low enough then this car will be relegated to car sharing networks. 

Eric Angeloro said:

Dariusz, 

The author is not completely wrong. We at smart USA cannot confirm this price, however, Daimler is working extremely hard to offer the EV3 this fall at a really compelling price and offer lease and financing options where it was lease only before. I think when the new gen EV hits this fall, it's going to be hard to beat in terms of price point and features.

Here's another article from the PR newswire: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/07/business/global/hype-over-electri... 

More likely, the ED will be relegated to the dustbin of electric vehicle history...

Dan said:

If the price including the battery was $21,000 then they would sell very well, but you know that price  left out the battery leasing of $85 a month or $1000 a year. That takes the car up to the same price as the i MIEV and that carries four passengers. I was interested in the gen2 Smart until they priced it at over $45,000. I still don't think it makes sense economically versus a ice Smart as far as overall cost of ownership even with the price of gasoline at $5 a gallon but the gen3 will be tempting from an eco friendly standpoint. I think that Daimler needs to stay focused on lowering  the overall cost of ownership because if the price isn't low enough then this car will be relegated to car sharing networks. 

Eric Angeloro said:

Dariusz, 

Why so secret about the EV3 info??? I'm trying desperately to give Smart money to buy ANOTHER car from them but they can't even tell me when it'll come out or how much it'll cost?? This is NOT the way to drive up demand for a product...keeping people in the dark.

When I speak to my dealer and they call the "rep" He is COMPLETELY uninterested in the product and tells me not to hold my breath. This is a horrible way to do business.  As a new owner (someone trying to buy multiple cars from the brand) I expected better transparency and cooperation. 

Eric Angeloro said:

Dariusz, 

I was reading CHARGED, an EV magazine I get, and the latest issue.  JULY/AUG said the smart electric was priced at 26,900 for the passion, and 28,900 for the Cabrio. I may be off a little on this price, (from memory...) but I also dont know it that includes the $7500 tax credit you can get (if you qualify with the IRS for the credit),  If you DO make enough money to OWE taxes over 8000, you could NET get this for around 21K. 

Just a little info.  I also heard fromt the smart center, Mercedes NORTH the Electric Drive was to be here in SEPT.  We will see.  I would love one.   TESLA made the drive line.  ITs High quality, and is liquid cooled. ALSO, I saw in the CHARGED magazine article that the range was 90 miles, and max speed is 78mph.

Those prices are in line with what they are paying in Germany but that is WITH VAT added. I don't know about the US prices yet.  When I spoke to our local SMART regional rep he told me "don't hold your breath"...in regards to when the car would be released here .

I also read online that demand was so high in Germany that they had pushed back US shipments until next year sometime.  I would LOVE to give them money right now....I just wish they would take me up on the offer. 

I'll go by the dealer on Monday and see if they have any updates for me.  I was an initial reservation holder for a Leaf (number 400-something) but was delayed for 2 years because Nissan didn't want to sell cars in alabama. so I cancelled, while waiting for the focus EV. After seeing the specs on it and the price I think the Smart ED is a much better buy...so now I'm waiting for it.   I've been waiting for an EV now for almost 4 years.  Why won't someone take my money??

There's a thread on the Canadian site, Club smart Car, on the ED: http://clubsmartcar.com/lofiversion/index.php/t25614.html

The thread shows Canadian pricing as: fortwo electric drive coupe will start from $26,990 while the electric drive cabriolet will be priced from $29,990. US prices should be in that range, although they always seem to vary a bit from Canadian prices.

I'm sure Tesla would happily take your money right now....

I would give Tesla my money instantly if it meant getting a car. From what I understand they have a 2yr waiting list for the Model S already. Good for them!

Here it is now, the first week of September and still NO info.  I did notice that today the "ED" page was updated on Smartusa.com however NO NEW INFO.

This is the exact opposite way you drive demand for a product.  There is nothing more frustrating for a consumer with cash in hand than to be left wanting. 

I don't know if anyone from Smart corporate even reads these posts but if they are reading....someone contact me and take my damn money.....otherwise another manufacturer will.  (yes, i'm looking at you Nissan).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service