JUNK smart has no truth!!! they lie or just don't care!!!!!!

I loved smart, bought one of the 1st.  It now has 22,000 miles and because the aircleaner was poorly desinged my engine is trash!!!!Trash dirt scorred the cilinder walls and it runs(badley) on 2 cylinders.  Smart does not make pistons to repair the Trashed  engine  The cure $$12,000 for a new engine or (get this, the home office in NJ said, go to junk yard and mabe buy a used engine)

Dennis

Views: 811

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dennis,

This post for me is very heart breaking. I would be just as upset as you are.  As the community is doing here, it will be helpful to know the service history and use of your wife's smart to help in the handling of this issue. 

In the meantime, we have escalated to our customer service team again from our side here at smart USA. Quinn, a member here, is part of that customer service team and can help as well. I would like to investigate further and see what other options there are for you. 

Eric - smart USA

Glad to hear smart is stepping up to take care of this issue. Let us know how it turns out.

There are two LKQ locations within 600 miles from your location that have an engine for you at $2530 or less.  If I am correct they can offer a lifetime warranty on their engines to boot.  This might be a good option for you.

Here's the site:

http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?userSearch=int&userP...=

Maybe someone at smart could negotiate the dealer installing one of these engines for you!

Hi  Jesse zeno chen

WOW thanks for looking around,thats more then the dealer would do.

I think I'll hope the home office will realize that this problem has been around for awhile and the dealers are covering it up!!!!

Federal Consumer Protection should save new buyers and maybe get some $$$$$ back for those who have payed to have engines replaced because of the poorly built air cleaners!!

There should be a nation wide recall on all smartcars!!!!!

Dennis Daly said:

Hi  Jesse zeno chen

I think I'll hope the home office will realize that this problem has been around for awhile and the dealers are covering it up!!!!

Federal Consumer Protection should save new buyers and maybe get some $$$$$ back for those who have payed to have engines replaced because of the poorly built air cleaners!!

Dear Dennis,

One thing I've noted about dealer service (is that in all honesty sometimes I do better work than them.)  There are a few Mercedes Benzes in the household, as my wife, my son, and I, live with my parents, and I try to do as much work on them myself as the dealer labor rate was about $110 an hour last time I checked, (this was a while ago, I'm betting it's close to $135 now.)  That's more than I can make in an hour, so I purchased the repair manuals from Mercedes and just try to figure things out on my own.  It could have been an error on the technician's part...

But anyways, I noted in one of your posts that you seemed concerned about getting a used engine.  I don't know if you noted I picked LKQ out of a HUGE list of engines, and that is because they are probably the largest auto recycler in the United States.  I've been watching their listings for a long time for an '08 BMW 3 series sports seat, and have tried to order twice from their listings.  They are very responsible, and although the first order from one location I caught that it wasn't a sport seat before they shipped, the second time I tried to order a seat from one of their locations they reported back to me that it was damaged, did not ship it, and hence would refund my money.  (No funny business with them.)

I know in other parts of the country the dealerships are kind of scarce, and that I am lucky/spoiled here in SoCal, but hopefully you can find an engine and a shop to install it.  At 12k I would essentially just buy/lease a new smart with the longer warranty.  They've got 0.9%, $99/$149/$199 a month lease deal, and $1000 discount for those who currently own a Mercedes product, (ie. including smart and Sprinter) as I understand it, until the end of August.

It's not a widespread problem.  There have been a few smart engines with cylinder/valve issues.  As far as dirt in the engine (your case) we still don't know the root cause - if it was a design problem all smarts would suffer from it and that's not the case. Recall - don't think so....

Dennis Daly said:

Hi  Jesse zeno chen

Dennis, 

If you can reply to our direct message exchange earlier this week, I would like to research further and hear from you the latest in terms of our reach-outs to you from our Customer Service team and what was discussed. I want to make sure the proper solution is found for you and should there be an underlying issue with the design that we pass along to our engineers to investigate and or shed some light on this.  We also want to make sure the correct components are used to repair your vehicle so to best avoid this in the future.

Thanks

Eric

Eric Angeloro said:

Dennis, 
If you can reply to our direct message exchange earlier this week, I would like to research further and hear from you the latest in terms of our reach-outs to you from our Customer Service team and what was discussed. I want to make sure the proper solution is found for you and should there be an underlying issue with the design that we pass along to our engineers to investigate and or shed some light on this.  We also want to make sure the correct components are used to repair your vehicle so to best avoid this in the future.

Thanks

Eric

Hi Eric

I called Smartcar, they passed me off to Arash, that doesn't call back.  I thought I did respond to you?   I have not talked to a Customer Service team??

This  whole thing is, you do not make oversize pistons??  Chris the old SM told me you were having problems with Smarts that drive on dirt roads??  MY ranch is 10 miles up a gravel road and 1 mile up a dirt driveway. With many Tractors, combines, ect. I know the importance of air cleaners and replace them.

After my $678 service , they told me that they had replaced other engines like mine that had lost compression because of dirt.  They could not rebuild it becuse there were no oversized pistons
.  I brought home my 2 cyl. JUNKER.  I let my farm mechanic look at the engine, he pulled the plugs and put oil in each cyl., It smoked alot on 2 of the cyl. even with a new plug it would not fire on #1

If I bought a new Mercedes and the engine went bad at 22,000 miles I don't think they would tell me to go buy a junk engine replacement.  If a service advisory did not go out to owners about  aircleaner replacement intervals it should have, because apparently the dealers knew.

I grewup in CA. Raced, Built engines and ran dynos.  I wasn't always a dirt farmer.  We took great care of this car, It should have lasted more than 22,000 miles!!!!????

Eric Angeloro said:

Dennis, 

Thanks

Eric

Dennis,

Have you looked at the smartusa.com website.  There is a place that describes the procedure to do your own maintenance.  I looked at the instructions for replacing the air filter.  It is quite lengthy, not your simple pop off the cover, replace, and put it back in.  I wonder if they can do something to improve access!

Sounds like you are using the term JUNK and actually are being told a 'used' in regards to a motor. I have used countless parts from junk yards with perfectly good results. Getting a motor with 2,000 miles on it that was in a front end collision and the insurance company totaled the car, doesn't mean it is junk. The cost savings is quite substantial.

The motor is made by Mitsubishi, and smart doesn't have much input about oversize parts made by another company. 

Frustrating, absolutely! Talk with Eric and see what he can do for you. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service