For all those who thought that Smart's ForTwo EPA rating is laughable, check out what EPA just did to Fiat 500 rating: 30 city / 38 highway?

http://auto.ocregister.com/2011/01/28/fiat-500-gas-mileage-revealed...

Enjoy your Smarts' MPG - new Fiat 500 is not coming anywhere close.

Tags: MPG

Views: 71

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't remember the original Fiat 500 (my family used to ride it for long European trips) to be particularly large :) Of course this one is larger and heavier, but for all the wrong reasons as it aims for the same audience as the original 500. We kind of expected that 50 years later Fiat 500 would have at least the same MPG as the original :) The progress of technology should have kept it constant while enabling deficiency in size and weight (we really liked it smaller and lighter. Bigger and heavier is baaaad).

The mini was a small car with a big engine thus it was winning races. Strangely, today's mini is much bigger car with average engine thus making no dent on anyone's psyche.

Now original 500 was a small (really tiny) car with a small (really tiny :) engine - thus a different story than mini.

I thought that they would manage to keep the 100 MPG of the original 500. 3x worse MPG sounds like a joke. The car ain't 3 times bigger or heavier.

Please at least use some logic in this discussion.  Fuel efficiency isn't linear - just because one car is half as big or weighs half as much as another car doesn't mean its fuel economy is automatically twice as much.  As for the original 500, how about 42.7 mpg (US) from an 18 hp engine, and a top speed of 59 mph.  Is that really the car you want to be driving?  http://www.automobile-catalog.com/auta_details1.php

Actually, we use logic. You chose to pick up the earliest engine which is not what I had in mind. I owned Fiat 126p, which if I remember correctly shared the engine with one of the last models of Fiat 500 (23 hp) and I distinctly remember that I was getting close to 100 mpg on it. I stand by my words from my own experience.  The page you brought up does not list this engine nor mpg for it.

>> top speed of 59 mph.  Is that really the car you want to be driving?

I suggest you look up "Smart Electric Drive buyer" :)

jwight said:

Please at least use some logic in this discussion.  Fuel efficiency isn't linear - just because one car is half as big or weighs half as much as another car doesn't mean its fuel economy is automatically twice as much.  As for the original 500, how about 42.7 mpg (US) from an 18 hp engine, and a top speed of 59 mph.  Is that really the car you want to be driving?  http://www.automobile-catalog.com/auta_details1.php

Not to prolong the agony of this discussion but we have no idea what you had in mind, only what you said:

"I thought that they would manage to keep the 100 MPG of the original 500." 

The earliest engine would have been from an original Fiat 500, which is why I picked it - sorry, but it got nowhere near 100 mpg.  And what does the top speed of the smart ED have to do with the original subject of mpg number for the current Fiat 500?  I guess we could also say the original Fiat 500 had roughly the same top speed as the smart ED but so what  - apples to oranges in my book.

Dariusz said:

Actually, we use logic. You chose to pick up the earliest engine which is not what I had in mind. I owned Fiat 126p, which if I remember correctly shared the engine with one of the last models of Fiat 500 (23 hp) and I distinctly remember that I was getting close to 100 mpg on it. I stand by my words from my own experience.  The page you brought up does not list this engine nor mpg for it.

jwight said:

Considering the volume of discussions on this board, we appreciate your contributions to each discussion including this one.

There is no point in picking on what you had on mind and what I had on mind. You trust MPG that you read on some web site, I trust my own experience and it doesn't seem to match. And it is OK as not all car&driver combinations are equal when it comes to MPG.

I was waiting for this car with anticipation and excitement.  I really like little Fiats.  I feel somewhat dissapointed by the new 500.  Why so much bigger, heavier, thirstier?

jwight said:

Not to prolong the agony of this discussion but we have no idea what you had in mind, only what you said:

"I thought that they would manage to keep the 100 MPG of the original 500." 

The earliest engine would have been from an original Fiat 500, which is why I picked it - sorry, but it got nowhere near 100 mpg.  And what does the top speed of the smart ED have to do with the original subject of mpg number for the current Fiat 500?  I guess we could also say the original Fiat 500 had roughly the same top speed as the smart ED but so what  - apples to oranges in my book.

Dariusz said:

jwight said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service