Our car is just under 16,000 miles at this point. Lately, we have only been getting about 33-36 miles per gallon. We used to get around 45 mpg. We use the same gas we've always used, have not changed our driving habits, etc, etc.

Also, recently, our brakes squeal when we apply them, and have a "soft' feel to them. Anyone else have these problems with a Smart?  Seems ridiculous to not only drop in mileage from 45 mpg to 33, but also to have to replace brakes at 16,000 miles. Anyone know what the cost of brakes are for this car?

Views: 330

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mileage: check tire pressures and your air filter.  Winter gas blend usually causes a mileage drop.

Brakes:  should be OK at 16K miles unless you are really hard on them.  I'd get them checked locally before decided what needs to be done.

Jw,

I believe we went ahead and had our air filter changed out at our 10,000 mile service. Our pressure was recently a bit low in our tires, but we've also had zero or below zero weather as well. I understand the car will automatically "deflate" the tires a bit in extreme cold?

As for the brakes. We never ride the brakes, but considering Denver has the fifth worst traffic jams in the US, they probably have a bit more use. I wouldn't think they should squeal at 16,000 miles though...

Any idea what a brake job would cost for the car? Our Mercedes dealer won't even quote us a price over the phone

No idea on the brake costs - you can try some of the independent shops and get an idea of prices; any of them can replace the brakes if they actually need it.  May just need some anti-squeal lube or shims on the back of the pads - the brake shops can tell you all about those.  If they end up removing the wheels, make sure they torque the wheel bolts to 81 lb/ft when the wheels go back on.

Thanks Jw

We stopped by a Tires Plus yesterday to have the tires checked and a little air put in them. It brought out ALL the techs in the place who I guess have never seen or looked at a Smart up close.....lol.

We've done business there before with previous cars, so if we need brakes, we're probably going there...

Anyone else ever have to put brakes on a Smart, and what the cost is at a MB dealer?

My MB dealer told me he ordered EBC disc brake pads on eBay for about $60.  They are ceramic so they give off much much less brake dust vs. factory pads. 

I've not heard of any automatic tire deflation in cold weather.  Why would a car maker want that to happen, I wonder?

Not exactly deflation, but the cold weather can result in a loss of a couple of pounds of air pressure, usually enough to trigger the TPMS first thing in the morning.

Joe Dumm said:

My MB dealer told me he ordered EBC disc brake pads on eBay for about $60.  They are ceramic so they give off much much less brake dust vs. factory pads. 

I've not heard of any automatic tire deflation in cold weather.  Why would a car maker want that to happen, I wonder?

There is no way to avoid it, especially in extreme cold.  If you park your car in the garage at night and it spends the whole day outside while you are at work, it will definitely happen.  In Alaska I have to get them topped off at least once a month during the winter.  We even went to Nitro to reduce the loss and it still happens enough to set off the TPS.  

Joe Dumm said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service