I've had my Smart Car for a year and a half and have never gotten 40 miles to the gallon. Is this typical? I do average about 36 with street and highway traffic. Also, does anyone use a lower fuel type? I'm still using the premium blend. Thanks

Views: 2171

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just wondering how you get 9+ gallons in a 8.1 gallon tank.

Tank had a reserve. You could try running until engine quits to prove it. But, I don't recommend it.

As for mileage the biggest factors are where and how you drive the car.

http://www.smartusainsider.com/group/smarthypermilers

MJB

Close as I've come is 7.57 gal.  I don't like pushing eather.

The tank is 8.7 gallons, but over 164 fill-ups I've had ten fill-ups that were more than that and 4 that were right at 9 or more gallons. That usually only happens when you run it down to 0.0 and beyond and that's not recommended. See my Fuelly records for all the data:

i just clocked over 53mpg on my drive home from work today. if it's over 75F, i'll break 50 mpgs. i've seen my smart swallow 9 gallons 2 times, when i finally got down to the "count down"
I don't understand why they would advertise a 8.1 gas capasity, when it is actually 10gallons.  If anything, most would be attacted by the 10 over 8.1.

james g said:
i just clocked over 53mpg on my drive home from work today. if it's over 75F, i'll break 50 mpgs. i've seen my smart swallow 9 gallons 2 times, when i finally got down to the "count down"

The smartUSA website (under dimensions and weight) and the manual list the tank capacity as 8.7 gallons. This topic has been beat to death on SCoA, but the general consensus was that it comes down to "usable" fuel vs fuel in the tank and the filler neck capacity. The fuel pump pickup won't be on the bottom of the tank to avoid picking up water and debris, so not all the fuel can be used. Additionally, depending on the gas station pump's sensitivity, it may not kick off as quick and use some of the filler neck capacity and possibly flood the charcoal canister which is a bad thing and why we shouldn't "top off" the tank after the pump quits.

There was also discussion about keeping the fuel pump in the tank cool and lasting longer by making sure it is surrounded by fuel and not running the tank down too low unless it's unavoidable. I've run mine several miles beyond 0.0, but depending on the terrain (up hill, down hill, curves) you may not be able to go very far at all before the car runs out of gas, so it's not advisable to let it get that low.

I think that's the Cliff's Notes version of the SCoA discussion. :-)

Alan F. Webber Sr. said:

I don't understand why they would advertise a 8.1 gas capasity, when it is actually 10gallons.  If anything, most would be attacted by the 10 over 8.1.
I'm sorry XCAPEPOD that it has been beat to deth on SCoA.  Not all of us are able to inter the elite domain.  Also being new to the smart car, wanting to know.
Nothing elite about SCoA - come on over!  www.smarcarofamerica.com

Alan F. Webber Sr. said:
I'm sorry XCAPEPOD that it has been beat to deth on SCoA.  Not all of us are able to inter the elite domain.  Also being new to the smart car, wanting to know.
95% of the time, i use the same pump at the same station, yes, i am that anal, for accuracy. being in quality control, doing repeatability and reproducibility for measurements in a commercial environment controlled by many agencies, audited yearly by many customers. it becomes a sub-program in your brain. what annoys my "cube mate" is the fact i can remember the smallest detail of something that happened 6 months ago and she can't remember yesterday's lunch.
No apologies necessary and I didn't mean anything by the comment other than it has been discussed a lot in another forum. I apologize if I came off stuffy in my response, that wasn't the intent, and definitely do stop by SCoA! :-)

Alan F. Webber Sr. said:
I live in south texas where the wind blows non-stop.  I average 41 mpg in my smart.  I drive at 60 mpg on the highway.  I have had my car since february 2009 and the only time I have had bad gas milage is when I get to going around 80 miles per hour on the highway.  I commute 80 miles per day to work so I fill up my tank every 4 days.  In south texas the a/c is on 90% of the time so it makes no difference in my car.  I have 48K miles on my little guy andI take it in for it's scheduled maintenance every 10K miles, I have had absolutely no trouble with it.  I absolutely love it..

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service