I've had my Smart Car for a year and a half and have never gotten 40 miles to the gallon. Is this typical? I do average about 36 with street and highway traffic. Also, does anyone use a lower fuel type? I'm still using the premium blend. Thanks

Views: 2171

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I did join the scoa free section, being retired and on disability we have to watch our pennies.  That is what I ment about the paid only section not open to me.  (I think my wife is afraid if she gives me an extra $15.00 I'll run off to Mexico).
When I first got my Gigi, the dealer that had her didn't know beans about smarts and had been putting rreg unleaded in her.  The first milage in town was about 33/34 mpg.  After two tanks of 91 octane she was up to 36.  The last tank which was 1/2 in town 1/2 Hwy was 41mpg.
i ran my smart (call him "ronin") on 93 octane the first 6 months, was ok, 37mpg on the first tank in the dead of winter, and just went up,  the first summer, 6 months later, i tried 87 octane, no noticeable difference in performance or economy. i got the first smart in IL, and for the last 3 years, i've been running on 87. i never run the AC, that increases fuel consumption by 75% at idle and is worse when moving! 90F at idle with no AC, 0.19-0.20GPH, turn on the AC, you're looking at 0.35-0.36GPH.  unless you're pathetically unhealthy and need AC, you're better off without it, the smart doesn't like it either, might as well drive with the parking brake on.

Alan F. Webber Sr. said:
When I first got my Gigi, the dealer that had her didn't know beans about smarts and had been putting rreg unleaded in her.  The first milage in town was about 33/34 mpg.  After two tanks of 91 octane she was up to 36.  The last tank which was 1/2 in town 1/2 Hwy was 41mpg.
I was born and raised in Ill and no we didn't have AC eather.  Down here in Az we're running 100 - 108 degrees and AC is required.  Maybe you never read the stat that anything over 40 mph with a window open drops gas milage 10%.  I no as a boy we ran the windows down and 55mph, but the gas was $.50 per gallon too.

I drive with the top down a lot. Also use the AC (top up) and keep up with traffic on the freeway (65-80MPH).

In a year and a half with over 15,000 miles I'm averaging 35 MPG. Best was 40 and the worst 31.

I have a 2009 Passion with now 34,000 miles in 14 months since i bought it. I drive about 68 miles one way on interstate highways in NJ (From PA towards NY) everyday so I put on a lot of miles and keep up with traffic on the highways 70+MPH. I have tracked my mileage since day one, as I did with my 2004 Prius. My Prius when I traded it in for my Smart last year I had 268,000 miles with a lifetime average of 50.2MPG, my Smart right now is averaging 41.3 MPG, best was 48MPG.
Impressive, most impressive. I average just under 40. 17,00 miles on a 2009 Cabrio.

Forrest E. Diehl said:

2008 Passion. 50,175 miles. Premium gas. Average mpg since May 29, 2008: 44.82. Last four fill-ups: 49.2 mpg; 48.93 mpg; 50.1 mpg; and, 49.89 mpg.

I continue to use 93 octane in mine. I just passed 77k the other day. I drive in a semi rural area and varied types of driving from 25mph in small towns too 75-80 on the highway. Most of my time is spent between 45-60mph. I drive almost 500 miles a week and average 25 stops a day. I am by no means light on the pedal, but I do resist jack rabbit starts and constant up and down shifting. I do drive primarily it the auto function. I see my mileage vary from 39 to over 45mpg and average just under 42mpg.
Hi all. My 2009 Cabriolet was getting great mileage in the 44-46 mpg range this summer. But when the weather turned colder this Fall, mileage dropped to the 40-41 mpg range. I don't understand why mileage would drop 10% and if it might drop even more as winter moves in. I'm curious as to whether anyone else is seeing this happen as the seasons change. Fuel type, driving style and city/highway mix, etc, remain unchanged. And if so, can mileage be expected to improve as spring and summer roll around next year. Thanks in advance for any ideas, theories, etc.
In response to fuels with ethanol. Use of fuels with ethanol in newer vehicles, especially those that run really clean to begin with, like our smarts that qualify as ultra low emissions vehicles is a falicy. Ethanol itself burns cleaner than petroleum based fuels. However the emissions controls on all vehicles control the amount of fuel that goes into an engine based on the gasses that go out (via the O2 sensor). So if the vehicle senses there is more oxygen than normal going out the tail pipe it puts more fuel in. That is one of the reasons some people get better mileage in the summer than the winter. Places like Phoenix AZ add ethanol to the fuel in the winter, but not in the summer.

Just as a side note, I use a computer program called "gasbuddy.com" to keep track of my gas mileaqge. Great program & very user-friendly. Try it you'll like it

I have been using an app called aCar for my Android, love it. It keeps track of all expenses not just gas, e.g. services and other expenses. Also has a ton of reporting not just for your MPG.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.zonewalker.acar

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.