I've had my Smart Car for a year and a half and have never gotten 40 miles to the gallon. Is this typical? I do average about 36 with street and highway traffic. Also, does anyone use a lower fuel type? I'm still using the premium blend. Thanks

Views: 2175

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What stations do you find 93 octane gas? I've only seen 91 out here, which is what we use...
We have a mix in this area; some 91, some 93.
I've only seen 93 here in VA. I will try and use less ethanol though.

Becky Lane said:
</
I don't know but was reading somewhere that ethanol is good for cars! Hope that is not true
Ethanol is neither good nor bad for cars, but it does result in lower mpg than "pure" gasoline.  Ethanol is very good for the ethanol industry, however..

Kenyatta said:

Becky Lane said:
</
I don't know but was reading somewhere that ethanol is good for cars! Hope that is not true
I typically use 93 Octane in my smart. I just hit 28k miles in my first year and I have an average of 41.17 MPG. My best tank so far was 45.96MPG.
You know I only have 12K. Do you think my engine is still breaking in? Thanks to all for this discussion.
Probably not at 12K - it's plenty broken in by now.

Becky Lane said:
You know I only have 12K. Do you think my engine is still breaking in? Thanks to all for this discussion.
Actually most engines typically break in around 20-30k which if you look at the smart, you replace your (Break-in) plugs at 30k with platnium plugs that last 100k. The other part of MPG is temperature, driving styles and elevation changes.
Any stats to go with those mileage numbers for break-in?  smart USA refers to the first thousand miles as the break-in period in the owners manual.
i use sam's club 87 octane, last tank 325 miles, 6.6 gallons (49.2 mpg  for that tank), just turned 30,000 miles last week, our sam's club offers 93 octane for $0.20 more per gallon, i notice no difference in performance or mileage, i've had my smart just about 3-1/2 years. i have a solo exhaust, k&n air filter, but heavier wheels and tires than stock, the wheels are 18 pounds and the tires are as well, my mileage suffers during acceleration, but is about the same during cruising (i've had a scan gauge for almost 3 years). my first tank in january 2008 was 37mpgs and it only got better since.

ethanol is corrosive, it can't be transported in pipelines, as oil can.  it removes the "energy" from gasoline alone and lessens gas mileage. ethanol does no good in autos and deprives the world of a food staple. cars have had to be modified to run on 10% ethanol, and modified even more to run on E85. ethanol costs more to refine/produce than gasoline. if it wasn't "subsidized", it would never be produced, for it is not "profitable".

the real joke is the chevy volt, which uses coal or nuclear power, chevy plans production of 30,000 units in 2011 and is selling at a rate of 3,600 for the year, as of now, making the smart a "hot selling vehicle" in comparison.  it'll be hockey season in hell before there is a chevy volt rally/meet anywhere. if distributed equally, only 72 "volts" would be sold in each state per year.

i can drive 450 miles on a fill-up that takes a couple minutes in my smart (i've run it to "countdown" and put in 9+ gallons). my longest car trips have been a bit over 500 miles per day, with cruise control i could tolerate maybe 750 miles a day. i'm just wondering what mileage i could get with 100% pure gasoline, maybe 5-10% better, and it would cost less.

jwight said:

Ethanol is neither good nor bad for cars, but it does result in lower mpg than "pure" gasoline.  Ethanol is very good for the ethanol industry, however..

Kenyatta said:

Becky Lane said:
</

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service