Please forgive me if this sounds stupid, but is it possible to change out the speakers in the doors without having to remove the door panels?  Is it possible to just use the original speaker positions? Why can't you just drill out the speaker mounting rivets and use new clips for replacement attachment points? I would appreciate your comments/suggestions.

Bert

Views: 229

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

it is possible to "go in" from the inside but you will need to cut into the OEM speakers to access the back screws. You would drill out the grills first, then cut out the cones of the OEM speakers thus giving yourself some access to the back, cut off the spider and magnet and carefully disconnect the OEM wires, unscrew the said 3 screws that hold the speaker "ring" to the door panel.. you might have to cut the ring into two pieces to remove it towards the inside of the car... thats it in a very short simplistic nutshell.
Thanks, for the response. I guess it is something to think about. I don't know which is the easiest or best way to attempt this...from the outside with panel removal, from the inside with door panel removal, or do it as you suggest it can be done.

SATO said:
it is possible to "go in" from the inside but you will need to cut into the OEM speakers to access the back screws. You would drill out the grills first, then cut out the cones of the OEM speakers thus giving yourself some access to the back, cut off the spider and magnet and carefully disconnect the OEM wires, unscrew the said 3 screws that hold the speaker "ring" to the door panel.. you might have to cut the ring into two pieces to remove it towards the inside of the car... thats it in a very short simplistic nutshell.
The question is do you have the time, patience and tools... then, are you handy with a dremel. It's not rocket science! just sit down on a comfy pad with the door wide open and start by taking the speaker grill off, regardless of what way you go in these have to come off if you are using nicer ones that come with most after market speakers. Once you pass that hurdle, you get out the trusty Xacto knife.. or if your wife is not there a kitchen pearing knife will do fine, and cut out the speaker cone surround. its a thin foamy material that heck you could just tear! but I'm too anal and like to do it like "surgery". If at any time you feel dizzy or have heart palpitations STOP, take a breather have a beer and come back to it... mind you I said A beer not a couple or a keg or a dozen... The whole process is quite intuitive as each step will make the next quite evident. Go on take a crack at it! you'll be proud to say you did it! take documental pics of it and post them for others to be inspired by!
Don't do it from the inside, with all respect that person does not know what his talking about, it takes 5 min to remove the door panel do it from the outside you don't have to cut anything and you can use the same holes to mount the new speakers, you will have to modify the wiring depending on the new speaker but that's all, I installed many of those belive me

Bert Monsen said:
Thanks, for the response. I guess it is something to think about. I don't know which is the easiest or best way to attempt this...from the outside with panel removal, from the inside with door panel removal, or do it as you suggest it can be done. SATO said:
Smartech, I have installed a few from the outside as well and you do have to cut something going in from the outside.. the foam sheet that directs any moisture away from the window mechanism and speaker. You either cut a v into it or you pull it away from the sides ripping the tab areas holding it in place. as you comment, If you actually used the same holes to mount aftermarket speakers, you just replaced them with the same size ones.. Why on earth would you do that when you can go with 6.5 component speakers using clips to install them? By going in from the inside it is a little more laborious but the outcome is an intact water/vapor barrier and that IS very important. But hey people have choices and should weigh in the pros and cons of either. Don't say I don't know what I'm talking about before you even ask me why I said something or where I obtained the information.
That is a sound insolator there islittle moisture, besides even if there was you don't have to remove it or replace it it does a little cut on it instead of drilling the door and cutting it, and you will be able to pu it back where it belongs, and it's funny because when people like you break something guess who fixes it? Yes the dealer and you would be sorpriced of how may bad installations I had to fix, and you want to get technical this conversation woul start making no sense to you are you a tech? Is this what you do for a living? My csi and repair rating is at 100% for a reason. And that's why i don't like forums because people think it's about who know more and it about helping people with problems but it's up to him to decide how he's going to do it

SATO said:
Smartech, I have installed a few from the outside as well and you do have to cut something going in from the outside.. the foam sheet that directs any moisture away from the window mechanism and speaker. You either cut a v into it or you pull it away from the sides ripping the tab areas holding it in place. as you comment, If you actually used the same holes to mount aftermarket speakers, you just replaced them with the same size ones.. Why on earth would you do that when you can go with 6.5 component speakers using clips to install them? By going in from the inside it is a little more laborious but the outcome is an intact water/vapor barrier and that IS very important. But hey people have choices and should weigh in the pros and cons of either. Don't say I don't know what I'm talking about before you even ask me why I said something or where I obtained the information.
I would think removing the outside panel'd be easier...IMHO
Smartech: For one, if that's a "sound insulator" as you say it is.... then it's a seriously thin one that does a rather poor job of what it's supposedly there for.

As for the cut...... "small"? How exactly do you go about making a "Small" cut in that barrier and then put a 6.5 INCH SPEAKER through it? You have to make a cut at LEAST 6.5 inches long to get the mounting ring and speaker cone part through.... let alone needing to make yet another cut to be able to get the coil and magnet end through and be able to see what the hell you're doing after you get it that far.

How exactly is going at it from the speaker side so horrible? You're not doing any more damage to the door panel of the car than you would if you went from the outside of the car. Yes, you'd be destroying the stock speakers and the stock speaker grill's.... and you'd still have to trim part of the door panel where the stock speakers were held in place to accomodate for the aftermarket speaker clips.

Who even consider's putting the stock speakers back in the car after upgrading to better speakers? I think that after going through the effort of taking them out, and mounting from the inside anyway like most do for ease of access later should a speaker blow, considering the idea of reusing the stock door speakers is kind of odd.
And since I have done mine..........................Rick and I are available every Sunday and Monday.Just a thought.
Smartech, I have been installing sound systems in cars for 25 years. while I don't do it as a job it is one of my many hobbies. I have installed systems that have competed and won for their clean instals and pure fidelity. I never went into the 25 subs in back mentality as many others did for the bragging rights and $$$ they ripped off from their customers. You probably want everyone to go in from the outside in order to create more business for yourself and to intimidate those that may be thinking of it as a do it yourself job. One reason for NOT going in from the outside I already discussed but the other perhaps you have not even thought of... rear clearance for a 6.5 speaker. If you are going to put in a speaker with a better power handling it is going to have a much bigger magnet. the only ones that would not follow this general rule would be those speakers that use neodymium magnet that saves space and weight.. but those tend to be pricier than most regular people are wanting to spend.
SOOo you would have to place the new speaker from the inside ANYWAY.. chucking the OE grill and speaker. By the way there is no real hacking to do it from the inside to the door panel other than what Ryan said earlier, to place the clips for the new speaker. something you would do regardless of which way you enter the compartment!
As far as my help on this forum, I think that any person that takes my opinions and cross checks them will find that they are generally true due to the fact that most of what I write I HAVE DONE MY SELF. and the rest I have obtained from true EXPERTS like our great guru friend at Evilution.
I'm glad you have some letters after your name and have a 100% rating.. what ever that really means on a forum is up for debate, but be sure that I have helped more people in my life for no compensation than you will ever have as customers.
PLEASE GUYS...I really appreciate the concerns, comments, suggestions, etc. from everyone, but I don't want anyone to get personal on this issue and have them mad at each other!!! I just appreciate getting guidance on how to do this venture from "all sides," (no pun intended). I was a bit leery to tackle this from the outside as I had heard that removing and replacing the outer skin can be a bit tricky, so I thought that maybe doing it from the interior might(?) be easier...if at all possible. Having the opportunity to hear from people who had actually done this from one or the other sides is great...it tells me it can be done and now the choice is mine to make, from inside, outside or not at all...I have replaced the head unit and now are the upgraded #10 speakers good enough or should I replace them also? Now I must stare at the car for awhile and decide which if any, way do I go...or not. Remember, we are all smarties and we are ALL above getting mad at each other...that's for those folks who drive something else.
Bert
Bert it's OK.. It just shows how passionate we all are about these little cars....

The difference between the #9 and #10 radio set ups as far as speakers is concerned is the addition of two separate tweeters in the dash on the #10, the full range door speakers are the same and if you opted for the sub under the drivers seat is an addition to the the #10 only. Replacing the speakers especially having an aftermarket head unit is a very smart thing to do as the OE ones have a very low power handling and your head unit is probably going to overpower them. the OEM radios I believe put out 15 watts RMS. Many owners swap out the speakers first as this is one of the quickest and least expensive ways to dramatically improve the sound system. a good way to shop around is to go to crutchfield.com and have a look at their MANY options. but first go to http://www.evilution.co.uk/ and read about ICE or In Car Entertainment options and specs.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service