Yesterday, I drove over a screw and apparently ruined the rear tire on my Smart car. My Smart center had the 175 x 55 -R15 tire in stock so I stopped in and had them replace it. The cost was $156.20 for one tire ($115 for the tire, $25 to install + taxes). Does this sound reasonable for a tire of this size? To me, it sounded way high but with no spare tire, I had to make a move quickly as my Smart is my only transportation. Comments? Opinions anyone?

Views: 4838

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just replaced ALL 5 TIRES (spare included) with 195 x 50 x 15", so if you have a need for 4 Conti. 175 x 55 x 15" tires only, .......... YES, all 5 of my TIRES are the same size and it handles great....... I will sell my take-offs. About 7 or 8 thousand miles on them, $200 for ALL 4 Tires, call me at 503-428-0162, we are in Albuquerque NM as we live and travel full-time in our RV. I for one, WILL NEVER get caught by these opportunist with my pants down.. The comfort of knowing I carry a spare tire insures that I will never be stranded and at the mercy of others. NO spare Tire,,,,, WHAT was "smart" thinking ???    P.S. just found out that "MERCEDES" took over "smart" and raised prices on parts 30 to 40 %,,,,,,,What's next ???
is it possible to put all 4 same size tires on the stock rims that smart comes with...even if it does have different sizes on em now...or would i hafta replace 2 of the rims i have...thnx

Les Stitt said:
is it possible to put all 4 same size tires on the stock rims that smart comes with...even if it does have different sizes on em now...or would i hafta replace 2 of the rims i have...thnx
WOULD you be willing to sell one of your TPMS ? I need one for my Spare.....thanks , Ray  503-428-0162

Chris said:

Yes, it handles the size. The drive is more stable and is noticeably improved in a cross wind. The only thing I removed was the TPMS, because I just installed the Genius Darwin rims(15x5.5) as well. So now I have the factory rims-all the same size with snows on them and the Genius rims with summer tires. No more messing around when the season changes. I love the looks of the Genius rims on my car now( gunmetal with the silver lip) and I get a lot of compliments.  :)

Ray: you can buy individual tpms:
http://bit.ly/q5WDLr
Les Stit;  One of the members at SCOA has been running the same size tires as on the rear, all the way arond with no problem.  The answer would be yes to your question,  he put the rear size tires on original front rims with no problem.
thnx

Alan F. Webber Sr. said:
Les Stit;  One of the members at SCOA has been running the same size tires as on the rear, all the way arond with no problem.  The answer would be yes to your question,  he put the rear size tires on original front rims with no problem.
Wow this was really informative. Now I know the tires do NOT have to be two sizes. I have not had to replace one yet. When I do I shall take this new knowledge to my local Les Schwab dealer. Thank you all for the good information.
Let's say it is possible; would that be the best approach - probably not.  Most of the folks running same size tires on all four corners are using the same size wheels as well.  Check with your tire supplier on the recommended wheel width for the tires you're considering.

Les Stitt said:
We have the same size tire and wheels on all 4 corners.  We kept one of the front tires and wheels as a spare.  It fits behind the drivers seat in our smart. We keep the jack and wrench under the tire so it will all be there if we need to put the spare on. Even though it's smaller it will get us to the next town. 

Thanks Ray!  I am going the route of the 5 tire option and the rims.  I don;t want to get stranded anywhere!

Robert Barr said:

What do you use for a jack and where do you store that?

Ray said:
When it comes to owning a "smart" get ready to bend over. I SOLD the factory tires and wheels and bought 5 tires (175 x55R x 15 Continental) and 3 spoke custom rims with color inserts. Tires were $79.95 each and rims were $79.95 each, mounted and balanced. So, 5 custom Conti. tires and rims 175 x 55 R x 15 = $800. plus $100 shipping. Move passenger seat one click forward and you can carry a spare, and all 5 tires are the same size. YOU will never be at their MERCY, on the side of the road again, forced to BUY their SERVICE,,,,WWW.TIRERACK.com. We only get 40 MPG, but we have the comfort of carrying a SPARE. How stupid do they think are ??? WAIT til you need to buy a set of KEYS.

We bought a used set of pure wheels and tires (albeit fairly worn) from someone on SCOA a while back. We keep them as spares so if  we do have a tire issue we have something to put on the car temporarily. That way we can take a few days to shop around for replacement tire. If I remember right we paid 175 for set of 4 rims/tires/hubcaps/TPMS.   Just a thought for y'all as pure wheels come up for sale occasionally...

Brian

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.