Odd Electrical Problem: Window Washer, Seat Warmers, Radio, Rear Defroster. Help please

I have a 4 month old 2009 Cabrio with 4000 miles.

We are having our first snow storm of the season, 8 inches of snow and temparture from -4 f.

After driving the car without a problem in the morning over bumpy packed snow, I was drving it at noon time and after I stopped and restarted the engine and I had 4 problems:

1.) The window washer wasn't working.

2.) The heated seat button wouldn't turn on, however if you press the buttons the red indicator would stay on as long as you pressed the button.

3.) And most strangely. The radio doesn't turn off when the key is turned off. It must be turned off manually.

4.) The rear defroster is not working, however if you press the buttons the red indicator would stay on as long as you pressed the button.

No fuses are burned out. Any ideas?

I have an appointment with the dealer next week. Thanks, Alan

Views: 92

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry to hear it man, my first reaction would be Battery terminals, and then the ground lead to chassis. When you have multiples all of a sudden look for the common connection which might be your negative to ground lead from the battery to frame in the passenger footwell. And check your voltage.
Sounds to me like a dealer fix. Are you still under warranty? If so let them hassle with it, thats what the warranty is for anyway! Probably some rare wiring issue so good luck!
Sounds like a ground issue to me. Or a bad connector somewhere, Hard to say without a wiring diagram. Dealer item!! The good part is they have a decent network so they can see if the problem has happened before.
Amen to that!

Jim VW said:
Sounds like a ground issue to me. Or a bad connector somewhere, Hard to say without a wiring diagram. Dealer item!! The good part is they have a decent network so they can see if the problem has happened before.
Thankfully, I am under warranty.

From what you all have said it seem a ground issue makes the most sense with the extreme bouncing I have been doing over snow packed and rutted roads having dislodged some connection.

I will double check the battery and ground connections tonight. But it sounds like it going have to be backtracked at the dealership by a mechanic with a wiring diagram since some systems affected and others are working normally.

I have an appointment with the Sacramento Smart Center this coming Wednesday morning. The only hassle is the 4 hour there-and-back trip. But it's always a pleasure to have a road trip.

Thank you all,
Alan

Randy Fuller said:
Sounds to me like a dealer fix. Are you still under warranty? If so let them hassle with it, thats what the warranty is for anyway! Probably some rare wiring issue so good luck!
I would have to use my eyes and just look around. It never hurts to look. If you find nothing, the warranty will cover it. If it is a loose connection, that can be reconnected easily, you'll be proud that you were able to see it and correct it yourself. Many malfunctions are readily visible. It never hurts to look. Just don't be banging on things with a brick. :)
Good Luck Alan. My dealer is 4 hours away so I would want to try to save the mileage for me and my smart if I could see a minor issue and fix it myself.
There are several connectors around the battery, some wrapped in foam plastic tape to prevent rattles. I would disconnect the negative to remove power first. Then I would expose the connectors, unplug inspect and replug. You might have something as simple as a pin that did not seat well in the connector and has backed out slightly that might just need to be clicked back into the connector, and then reconnecting the two ends back together. I remember a connector off the positive battery terminal as well.
Good luck.
Final solution:

I was attempting to drive to my smart Center in Sacramento when I was stopped by falling snow on Donner Pass and having no wipers.

Once I returned to Reno the smart Center had me contact 1-800-762-7887 smart service about a possible tow to the Center. Smart service was extremely helpful and walked me through checking some additional fuses.

My number 20 fuse was burned through and my number 2 fuse appeared intact, but I replace it as well.

This totally corrected my problems. This saved me a 240 mile round trip through the snow.

My advice for others is to double-check that you really have checked all possible involved fuses and when in doubt replace the fuse in case the "burn through" is at the base and not visible.

Great help from the Sacramento smart Center and the smart road service.

Alan
Well, Hallelujah for cheap fixes! :)

Alan said:
Final solution:

I was attempting to drive to my smart Center in Sacramento when I was stopped by falling snow on Donner Pass and having no wipers.

Once I returned to Reno the smart Center had me contact 1-800-762-7887 smart service about a possible tow to the Center. Smart service was extremely helpful and walked me through checking some additional fuses.

My number 20 fuse was burned through and my number 2 fuse appeared intact, but I replace it as well.

This totally corrected my problems. This saved me a 240 mile round trip through the snow.

My advice for others is to double-check that you really have checked all possible involved fuses and when in doubt replace the fuse in case the "burn through" is at the base and not visible.

Great help from the Sacramento smart Center and the smart road service.

Alan
Your baby looks cute but cold. My Cabrio blows cooler air on my feet even when warm air is blowing from the upper vents. Does yours?
Zippin Pippin said:
Your baby looks cute but cold. My Cabrio blows cooler air on my feet even when warm air is blowing from the upper vents. Does yours?

My floor heater seems fine. I did notice when my accessories where out the heat was on max all the time and the air condotioning wouldn't function. I assume that the temperature control is electrical rather than mechanical. Could it possibly be an electric valve to divert hoot coolant to the footwell that won't open?
club penguin cheats

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.