Hi

I have a smart for two 2009.  I live in Tempe Arizona and I am wondering if there is any place other then the dealership(did not buy car here) that I can take my car to get an oil change. I know people get them but I have heard the price for this is 150.00 or more.  Needless to say I do not have that kind of money and I am a female and know nothing about changing oil.  Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

Views: 640

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Any shop should be able to change your oil and filter.  You can purchase the oil at most autoparts stores.  Mobil 1 0W/40 is what is recommended.  You can also use a Mobil M108 oil filter.  Changing oil on a smart is easier then most other cars.  It is also recommended by smart that you change the oil drain plug washer but in most cases the old one can be re-used.

Wal-Mart sells the Fram XTENDED GUARD XG6607  ($8.50 as I remember).  This filter is made to last 10000 miles.

The Mobile 1 I got at Pep Boys for $8.50 per Quart.  Regaurds.

You will notice in the Smart owner's manual that nowhere does it mandate using synthetic oil even though there's a big Mobil 1 sticker in the engine compartment.  Therefore you could probably use either a semi-synthetic or regular high quality motor oil and not void the warranty.   And save some money too.  I have read where many folks have had to pay over $400 for the 2 yr/20,000 mile maintenance at Smart Centers/Mercedes-Benz dealerships. 
If you use something other than synthetic, you better be changing your oil every 3000 miles.  Sythetic is the only oil that will go 10000 miles.  I know of some that use Kendal oil, but they change thier oil ever 5000 miles.  It is not saving money to shorten the life of the engine.
Thanks to everyone for the oil change info.  I would like to ask another question.  The tire lite (!) is on when I turn the car on and it stays on.  I took it to a discount tire store and they checked it for me and said it was just a valve that needed to be replaced. That was 20/00  and once again, the light has come on.  I have also checked the air pressure int he tires and all of them are fine. When I payed for a two year maintenance  on the car(found out later I did not have to do that) the dealer said they had to fix the TPMS.  Do these cars need these replaced often?  Any ideas as to where I can get it done cheep.  Please help.  I am planning a road trip from Arizona to Wisconsin and do not have that road side assistance plan. Just want to try to make sure it will get me there and back with no problems.  Nothing is guaranteed but I would like to be safe then sorry.  Thanks for the help:):)

If you are under warranty, it doesn't get cheaper than that.  Go to your dealer.

The TPMS is nice to have, but you can always do what we did for years - check the tire pressures using a gauge.  A replacement TPMS from Tire Rack runs $43 plus shipping and installation locally.

FALINE CONNER said:
Thanks to everyone for the oil change info.  I would like to ask another question.  The tire lite (!) is on when I turn the car on and it stays on.  I took it to a discount tire store and they checked it for me and said it was just a valve that needed to be replaced. That was 20/00  and once again, the light has come on.  I have also checked the air pressure int he tires and all of them are fine. When I payed for a two year maintenance  on the car(found out later I did not have to do that) the dealer said they had to fix the TPMS.  Do these cars need these replaced often?  Any ideas as to where I can get it done cheep.  Please help.  I am planning a road trip from Arizona to Wisconsin and do not have that road side assistance plan. Just want to try to make sure it will get me there and back with no problems.  Nothing is guaranteed but I would like to be safe then sorry.  Thanks for the help:):)

I use whatever the car says to use

Alan F. Webber Sr. said:

If you use something other than synthetic, you better be changing your oil every 3000 miles.  Sythetic is the only oil that will go 10000 miles.  I know of some that use Kendal oil, but they change thier oil ever 5000 miles.  It is not saving money to shorten the life of the engine.

Need to find the drain plug gasket to get ready for an oil change can any body help where to buy and wrench I may need to remove filter and type oil?

Thanks,

Tom

Your smart Center parts dept. has the drain plug gasket. You can also acquire one at Smartmadness.  You can buy an oil filter wrench at your local auto parts store & I believe that Smartmadness also carries them.  The recommended oil is:  Mobil 1 0W/40.  Oil capacity is 3 1/2 qts.  You can use a Mobil 1 M 108 filter & there are applications in other brands.  Hopefully, you have an owner's manual and it would be best if you spent some time reading it, to familiarize yourself with your vehicle, as there is a lot of useful information contained within.  You may also want to learn how to reset the maintenance reminder.  The Evilution website has a video tutorial on that subject plus other tasks that an owner can perform. Check out: www.evilution.com-co.uk. FQ101.co-uk is good also. 

Check out the owners section on the smart USA site for oil change (and other) info; you can also download the owners  manual (of course you have to read it...) : http://owners.smartusa.com/  FWIW, the copper drain plug washer does not absolutely have to be replaced at each oil change.

Robert Ricewasser said:

Your smart Center parts dept. has the drain plug gasket. You can also acquire one at Smartmadness.  You can buy an oil filter wrench at your local auto parts store & I believe that Smartmadness also carries them.  The recommended oil is:  Mobil 1 0W/40.  Oil capacity is 3 1/2 qts.  You can use a Mobil 1 M 108 filter & there are applications in other brands.  Hopefully, you have an owner's manual and it would be best if you spent some time reading it, to familiarize yourself with your vehicle, as there is a lot of useful information contained within.  You may also want to learn how to reset the maintenance reminder.  The Evilution website has a video tutorial on that subject plus other tasks that an owner can perform. Check out: www.evilution.com-co.uk. FQ101.co-uk is good also. 

Not sure where to post but my smart started to jerk in shifting and the engine light went on pulled over checked the fluid and okay.  Just changed the synthetic mobile one at 6,000 miles just to make sure to keep engine good.  It still jerks moving into gear at 25 to 30 and 60 to 65 miles much more than before and going Monday to the smart dealership get it checked out.  I think it is the clutch and may need adjustment any one had issues like this before would appreciate the guidance.  Thanks

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service