OK, so what mileage (mixed, hwy and surface street) ARE people getting?

My Smart just had a 300-mile birthday and a tank fill-up.  I figure it's about 38.5 MPG, which isn't bad for a non-hybrid?   How are other people doing, and apart from what we already know (eschew jack-rabbit starts, lead foot on highway, etc), is there anything you do to improve your mileage?  Do you do better with automatic shift or paddle shift?  Etc..

-becky t-

Views: 134

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Troll!

Moo Kahn said:
Yes Ms. Mercedes S55 AMG smug douchebag, I know what "that" is. So what? The discussion is MILEAGE - Golf carts are fun to drive. 4-wheelers are fun to drive. Motorcycles are fun to drive. But that doesn't change the facts, which is I can get 35-38 MPG with any number of subcompact non-hybrid cars. This thing has a tiny 1.3L engine... for the weight/horsepower ratio it should be getting MUCH BETTER mileage than 36-38 MPG. Most people buy these because of some misguided notion they're doing something great for the environment - but that's not the case at all.

You can spend your daddy's money any way you want on any thing you want -no hair off my behind. But let's keep the facts straight. And BTW ... a 4 on a frontal crash test is nothing to write home to mommy about- put that up against an SUV and... you lose. No way in hell would my kids be allowed in that kind of deathtrap. I want 'em home alive.
Sorry Moo.
To each, his own. You like your SUV? OK, thats your choice. No one here is putting down SUV's.

I love my Smart, and I'm not trying to save the world.

Before you call it a "death trap", you'll have to come up with some statistics. Opinions are a dime a dozen.

Moo Kahn said:
Yes Ms. Mercedes S55 AMG smug douchebag, I know what "that" is. So what? The discussion is MILEAGE - Golf carts are fun to drive. 4-wheelers are fun to drive. Motorcycles are fun to drive. But that doesn't change the facts, which is I can get 35-38 MPG with any number of subcompact non-hybrid cars. This thing has a tiny 1.3L engine... for the weight/horsepower ratio it should be getting MUCH BETTER mileage than 36-38 MPG. Most people buy these because of some misguided notion they're doing something great for the environment - but that's not the case at all.

You can spend your daddy's money any way you want on any thing you want -no hair off my behind. But let's keep the facts straight. And BTW ... a 4 on a frontal crash test is nothing to write home to mommy about- put that up against an SUV and... you lose. No way in hell would my kids be allowed in that kind of deathtrap. I want 'em home alive.
I love the car. I looked at several cars before i picked this one. I have about 5K miles on it and have averaged 37mpg. Just drove to Florida and back, 10 hours each way no problems.

Here is what I found
55-60 mph I got 38-39 mpg (with some city driving)
65-70 mph I got 37 mpg
75-80 mph I got 33-34 mpg
Out of my last 15k I average 40mpg (with 60%surface street and 40% hiway). My MPG data is shared on fueleconomy.gov. I always drive 5-15mph faster than posted speed and I weigh about 150lb.
ps. I do wonder what's the fatality rate of our 451 smart but that's for another thread...
Yes, the subject was SUPPOSED to be about mileage. Until you decided to insult the car on numerous points and the also certain people who own one. So yes, let's DO keep the facts straight, shall we? You sound like such an angry person and I feel bad for you. I wish you would please go to some other site. You obviously aren't really interested in learning anything in a positive way, when you start out your conversation with such insulting remarks.

And I hate to say this, but I doubt if your kids even want to come home to you. You need serious counseling.

Jim Davis said:
Sorry Moo.
To each, his own. You like your SUV? OK, thats your choice. No one here is putting down SUV's.

I love my Smart, and I'm not trying to save the world.

Before you call it a "death trap", you'll have to come up with some statistics. Opinions are a dime a dozen.

Moo Kahn said:

Mileage is mileage is mileage. Any vechicles MPG depends on how it is driven.

Anyone who says the Smart is uncomfortable, has never driven one.

Anyone who calls it a death trap needs to show me the stats before I'll take them seriously.

Moo is just here to stir the pot.
Yes, the discussion was SUPPOSED to be about mileage, until you started off throwing insults at the car and certain people who own one. So yes, let's DO stick to the subject, shall we? But first,

You seem like such an angry person. I feel bad for you. You are not going to win friends and influence many people with that kind of attitude, Moo. Please go to some other site. It is obvious that you don't want to learn anything in a positive way. I think you need serious counseling, or at least, better manners.

And I hate to say this, but since you say you don't want your kids to be in a deathtrap, that you want them to come home alive, I would be willing to bet that your kids don't really want to come home to you at all. Who would? Stinkin thinkin...

Sorry, but somebody needs to let you know how bad your attitude is. It might as well be me.

I won't waste any more time posting about this. It's over.

Goodbye

Moo Kahn said:

Thanks for defending me..I appreciate it!

Oops, I thought it had erased what I first posted to "Moo," so I typed another post to him/her. Oh well, at least there's 2 chances to see it. Sorry I felt the need to post back - won't waste anymore time on this, everyone.

Brabus007 said:
WOW Moo Kahn, that was a Rude cheap shot you said to KRISBBY... I think you took a wrong turn on the web, and ended up on this Smart site... I think you should search out a SUV 4x4 web site where you will enjoy being with Like Minded People... Please don't tread on my fellow Smart Members...

Soooo.....Back to the mileage subject.

I'm still breaking mine in, and it seems I'm averaging about 40mpg, plus or minus a couple of miles. I expect to get more as "Bob" gets broken in.

30 / 40 / 50? I'm keeping tract of my mileage, but even if it don't get better, the car has enough positives, that it won't bother me.
Just throwing this out there regarding environmental-friendliness: gas mileage is not the only measure of an sustainable vehicle. As I'm sure smart owners know, the vehicle is highly recyclable and the smartville production facility was built to leave a very small footprint. How many other cars out there have a flax-based fabric as part of their interior?

By contrast, while hybrids do produce great gas mileage, are hybrid batteries and cars necessarily the best choice for the environment?
I have averaged 40.7 mpg over the 16,000 miles I've driven. Probably 2/3 is on the freeway to and from work at 60-65 mph. I never use the paddle shifter. About the only thing I try to do to save gas is to put it in neur=tral and coast up to stop lights, but I doubt that makes much difference.
Last 11 tanks average is 46.02 mpg, but my average over the past 30K plus miles is:

Fuelly

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.