OK, so what mileage (mixed, hwy and surface street) ARE people getting?

My Smart just had a 300-mile birthday and a tank fill-up.  I figure it's about 38.5 MPG, which isn't bad for a non-hybrid?   How are other people doing, and apart from what we already know (eschew jack-rabbit starts, lead foot on highway, etc), is there anything you do to improve your mileage?  Do you do better with automatic shift or paddle shift?  Etc..

-becky t-

Views: 124

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

21k miles 39.6 mpg
I am keeping 48.9 I live on the coast at sea level and its dead flat, and I drive conservatory but its pretty consistent.. I have even had slightly better tanks but that is all of them averaged together..
my best result was 60.75+ mpg (driven 502.8 miles between refuel) on a long distance trip, engine at 8k miles.
second best (same trip one year later) averaged 57.19 mpg (driven 504.3 miles between refuel), engine at 23kmiles.
my smart's lifetime average is 43.6mpg at 33kmiles.

Typical of a small engine vehicle, mpg is strongly dependent on a driver's skill and objectives.
Come on guys, even though some people are ignorant of how amazing the smart is, we should still be polite. Can't everyone love everyone? hmm.

Kris Harris said:
The reason you most likely don't get it is because it's obvious that you haven't done your research on this great car, let alone SAT in one to see how comfortable it really is (tall or heavy people also have plenty of room), or know that it is so well designed and made inside and out (by Mercedes), and most of all it is an absolutely blast and a half to drive. I should know, because I also have a Mercedes S55 AMG (do you know what that is?). So, if I still think the SMART is fun to drive, that's saying alot. I would buy one for this reason alone plus the good enough for me gas mileage, the ultra cute look of it inside and out, and the super safety features (5 star crash test rating plus rollbar like race cars), etc.

Next time you don't get something, please don't insult it without doing your homework, especially with people who have actually bought it. Not nice how you put things, girlie...

Moo Kahn said:
I don't get it- why would anyone want one of these half-sized uncomfortable death-boxes when they only get 35-40 MPG ? Something this small should be getting 60+ or forget it. For the same money or less you can have a subcompact that gets better mileage and is a lot easier on the back- plus has room for a suitcase.
Moo is just pissed at life because his name is the sound a cow makes. :P
Wow! You're getting nearly twice what I get. I'm getting mid-30s so far in my Little Jay, about 2/3 street and 1/3 highway driving, using the automatic shift, 92-octane gas, mostly level ground (Indianapolis, how flat can you get?). Before Little Jay, I'd been driving my sweetie's Prius a lot and (unconsciously) adopted habits from that, which apparently aren't helpful in a Smart.

I'm not seeing too many specific hints in this discussion that would help me, alas. I'll just keep watching how I drive and how the mileage gets. Indeed, I didn't get this car for the mileage (got pulled in by the "adorable factor") but would like it to improve a bit!

-bt-

Dariusz said:
my best result was 60.75+ mpg (driven 502.8 miles between refuel) on a long distance trip, engine at 8k miles.
second best (same trip one year later) averaged 57.19 mpg (driven 504.3 miles between refuel), engine at 23kmiles.

Typical of a small engine vehicle, mpg is strongly dependent on a driver's skill and objectives.
Hi Becky,
I could be wrong - but my observations led me to believe that:
- stop lights on the way have a strongly negative impact on mpg (waiting for 10 minutes or more on 10 stop lights on 10 mile trip could cut your mileage by half (that is from 60 mpg to 30 mpg).
- turning engine off and on after a couple of hours on a 10 mile trip to have a similar effect. (there is nothing you can do about it - but it shows in numbers people tell you).
- having a stop sign at every crossection seems to cut mileage between 30 to 50 percent depending how quickly you take off (taking off gently seems to give you better mpg - I have not confirmed that though and do not truly know if it is meaningful enough to bother).
- speed above 50 mph seems to have varying negative impact (counting from 62 mpg down about 5 mpg for every 5 mph driving faster) disclaimer: those numbers are unverified rough approximations - not perfectly accurate - just my rough guesses after watching it for all of my Smart driving).

If your ride is as you said 2/3rd in the city, your driving is subject to all but last one mpg limiting factors thus I am not surprised at the results you are getting. You could probably try to improve it by rethinking the route you take to minimize the number of stop lights and stop signs on the way, maximizing the time you drive in the 5th gear (35 mph and above) and have a steady/light foot.

Prius's design addresses the stop lights and stop signs but the double $$ cost for stuff it uses to do that would probably pay for the first 100k miles of your gas supply for Smart, making your first 100k Smart miles (as in mpg's) comparatively much cheaper (versus say $3.3 per 50 miles in Prius).

When you compare $/mile (or $ per A->B) driven for different cars you see mpg comparisons in a new, quite unexpected perspective.

becky t said:
Wow! You're getting nearly twice what I get. I'm getting mid-30s so far in my Little Jay, about 2/3 street and 1/3 highway driving, using the automatic shift, 92-octane gas, mostly level ground (Indianapolis, how flat can you get?). Before Little Jay, I'd been driving my sweetie's Prius a lot and (unconsciously) adopted habits from that, which apparently aren't helpful in a Smart.
I'm not seeing too many specific hints in this discussion that would help me, alas. I'll just keep watching how I drive and how the mileage gets. Indeed, I didn't get this car for the mileage (got pulled in by the "adorable factor") but would like it to improve a bit! -bt-
Dariusz said:

Thanks for those observations. Looks like, fuel economy-wise, the highway is the best option even if I have to go a little out of the way on it to get to a closer exit to my destination. I wonder if we'll get the Smart micro-hybrid-drive thingie in the US any time soon? I still love driving Little Jay (aka my Personal Transport Module) but when people say 'wow, I'll bet you get great mileage in that' I have to admit that the Prius does much better and indeed hauls a lot more stuff. Having one each in the household seems to work for us.
Hit the 50+ mpg mark with the roof down in our Cabriolet this weekend.Prior max was 48mpg Overall,mpg ran between 38mpg in winter to 45 in spring
Mostly highway, I gather? I guess my difference is that over half my driving is surface streets, a lot of lights and stop signs. That's just the nature of where we live. Ah well...

george&jean said:
Hit the 50+ mpg mark with the roof down in our Cabriolet this weekend.Prior max was 48mpg Overall,mpg ran between 38mpg in winter to 45 in spring
Just drove to center city Philadelphia from Chestertown, MD and back - got 41.45 mpg @ highway speeds of 60 to 70 mph (this was with 2 adults and three pieces of luggage on board!) My Passion Coupe has about 7400 miles on the odometer.
Hi Becky,

I have about 6800 miles on my smart and I consistently get about 40mpg around town. I do take her on the highway occasionally, but I haven't driven far enough to get an accurate measure of highway mpg. Roads around here is rural and hilly. Hope that helps.

Nice choice of color for your smart :-)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.