OK, so what mileage (mixed, hwy and surface street) ARE people getting?

My Smart just had a 300-mile birthday and a tank fill-up.  I figure it's about 38.5 MPG, which isn't bad for a non-hybrid?   How are other people doing, and apart from what we already know (eschew jack-rabbit starts, lead foot on highway, etc), is there anything you do to improve your mileage?  Do you do better with automatic shift or paddle shift?  Etc..

-becky t-

Views: 136

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Becky,

I have about 6800 miles on my smart and I consistently get about 40mpg around town. I do take her on the highway occasionally, but I haven't driven far enough to get an accurate measure of highway mpg. Roads around here is rural and hilly. Hope that helps.

Nice choice of color for your smart :-)
I have 61,000 miles on my Smart. I've consistently gotten 38 - 40 in town and 55 - 60 on the highway. this is verified by my ScanGauge.

On the interstate I use auto and all other highways here in West Virginia I use Paddle Shift.
Hey William, I'm also from West Virginia and live north of Charleston! Are you driving a 2008 and newer model 451 or one of the gray market 450s (2006 and prior)? Your reported mileage seems a bit high for a 451, especially in our terrain. I also have a SG, but I record my odometer readings and gallons used to compute a definitive MPG instead of relying on the SG. Although the SG is nice for instantaneous readouts if configured properly (engine displacement, tank size - which is debatable on the 451, etc.), I wouldn't trust it for accurate long term MPG which really requires averaging multiple tanks over time for a solid number.

I've seen as a high as 52 here in WV and as low as 32 in Kansas City driving. My typical commute mileage is 45-46ish and my average of all tanks across all conditions is below:

Fuelly

William Strange said:
I have 61,000 miles on my Smart. I've consistently gotten 38 - 40 in town and 55 - 60 on the highway. this is verified by my ScanGauge.
On the interstate I use auto and all other highways here in West Virginia I use Paddle Shift.
Well, 2200 miles on my '09 cabrio, overall average is between 28 and 29 mpg. This is all town, with ac on 80% of the time. That's twice as good as the Kia I replaced, but I was really hoping it would be 32 or better. Nonetheless, I love the car.
57k on mine in just over 2yrs. Mileage has continued to climb very slightly. It does better in moderate to warm weather. I drive approx. 480miles a week and type varies from 35mph small city streets tom highway 70mph posted. Most though done on hilly two lane rural roads. I'm averaging just under 42mpg. I have had as high as 55mpg (warm weather, flat road, ac off, 65mph) to the lowest 36mpg(winter weather, defrost on (which by the way runs the ac unit), traction control working hard). Also the mileage does drop exponentially 75mph and above.
P.S. I actually get better mileage when I let the car shift, but paddle shifters are alot more fun.
Hi All -

I just bought a used '09 Cabriolet with 2,700 miles. The first tank, I suspect, was filled with 87 regular gas and mileage was terrible - maybe 30 mpg. I have kept it filled with 91 octane the past couple of months and so far, it's been averaging 39 - 40 mpg. I would love to get 60+ mpg like Dariusz (June 3, 2010) reported that he gets. I wonder what his secret is for mileage like that!

And yes I admit it ... I'm the Dumm guy with a Smart car. Take care!
Hi Joe,
There is no secret to the results I got - just a light foot with no speeding over the speed limits on a long distance trip with minimum stops on the way (could probably do better if not for the couple of mountain ranges that I crossed on the way).

In retrospect I think that I got significantly better results when I was simply listening to the engine than when I was watching instruments recording engine parameters.

If that was indeed the case - any time I hear a low pitch groal in the sound of the engine it tells me that I can take a foot a bit off the gas pedal without loosing speed and save gas. That was the technique that I used to get my best results.

Perhaps someone with Scan Gauge could verify this hypothesis?

Joe Dumm said:
Hi All -

I just bought a used '09 Cabriolet with 2,700 miles. The first tank, I suspect, was filled with 87 regular gas and mileage was terrible - maybe 30 mpg. I have kept it filled with 91 octane the past couple of months and so far, it's been averaging 39 - 40 mpg. I would love to get 60+ mpg like Dariusz (June 3, 2010) reported that he gets. I wonder what his secret is for mileage like that!

And yes I admit it ... I'm the Dumm guy with a Smart car. Take care!
My first Smart averaged 43 mpg until 6-8000 miles then I got 45. My new Smart was getting 47 mpg on average but since my 10000 check it dropped back to 43. the last 3000 miles I have been getting 40 -43 mpg but it has been cold and I have done a lot of idling. My mileage is always mixed highway and hilly curvy backroads. I tend to drive in manuel do to the hills and curves but get similar mileage when using automatic.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service