Penske Auto Group plans to transition the smart USA business to Mercedes-Benz USA

We've all seen the e-mail from Jill.  In addition, there's a little more info in the AutoWeek magazine article: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110214/CARNEWS/110219925

How do you feel about the upcoming changes?

Views: 46

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Actually I read that wrong; it says there are 300 dealers that have upgraded showrooms.  It look like there will be only 58 smart centers nationwide by this summer.  Not good.

jwight said:
AutoWeek is saying there will be 300 M-B dealers selling and servicing the smart nationwide.  No list available yet but there's a good chance of a dealer being closer to you than your smart center was.

Would be nice to get an update on this, from Smart and/or MB, on which centers will remain, where they are, and which MB dealers (if not all), will service and sell Smarts...kind of leaves everyone in the dark at the moment.

And...it would also help if MB came out with a statement that they are still supporting the Smart. My wife and I just purchased one, and we'd hate to think we just purchased a car going the way of the Yugo...

Agree.  Other than a blurb on the Daimler media site, nothing from M-B (especially M-B USA) on this at all.  I'm sure they are getting their ducks lined up but I don't think this decision was made overnight so they should have some info for us IMHO.  Talked to one of the Cincinnati M-B dealers and they were in the dark also.

steve campbell said:

Would be nice to get an update on this, from Smart and/or MB, on which centers will remain, where they are, and which MB dealers (if not all), will service and sell Smarts...kind of leaves everyone in the dark at the moment.

And...it would also help if MB came out with a statement that they are still supporting the Smart. My wife and I just purchased one, and we'd hate to think we just purchased a car going the way of the Yugo...

Agree totally. This couldn't have been an overnight decision, so some info should be forthcoming. How's things in Kettering btw? Am from Cincinnati originally....
Sunny and 60 today - big change from last week!

steve campbell said:
Agree totally. This couldn't have been an overnight decision, so some info should be forthcoming. How's things in Kettering btw? Am from Cincinnati originally....
that's what is scary is that there are really not enough smart car dealerships to make me happy at this time but i still made the decision to buy the 2009 passion.  i have only had it for a week but love driving it...who really fixes these cuties??????????????? the closest dealership to me is in hartford, ct. and i live in springfield, ma...just about 30 miles or so...

Gregory Jones said:

Honestly, I am excited. I am hoping that with Mercedes-Benz USA taking control of the Smart Car distribution....sales will continue to grow AND there might actually be some worthwhile advertising taking place. This is a great car -- lots of potential, but if we continue as we are -- I truly believe we will slowly die on the vine. 

Here's to 2011!!

Gregory

30 miles from a dealer - that's great!  Many owners are hundreds of miles from their smart center so you're in good shape relatively.

judith e powell said:
that's what is scary is that there are really not enough smart car dealerships to make me happy at this time but i still made the decision to buy the 2009 passion.  i have only had it for a week but love driving it...who really fixes these cuties??????????????? the closest dealership to me is in hartford, ct. and i live in springfield, ma...just about 30 miles or so...

Gregory Jones said:

Honestly, I am excited. I am hoping that with Mercedes-Benz USA taking control of the Smart Car distribution....sales will continue to grow AND there might actually be some worthwhile advertising taking place. This is a great car -- lots of potential, but if we continue as we are -- I truly believe we will slowly die on the vine. 

Here's to 2011!!

Gregory

30 miles from a dealer i thought was alot but i guess from what i am hearing you say that i am in pretty "good" shape...one day when i was riding by this place with this cutie sitting right out on the front line  i decided ,at that moment, to drive right in to look at it.   2 minutes later another interested person drove in right behind me but i was already  in the process of buying it, so there is interest out there.   
jwight said:
30 miles from a dealer - that's great!  Many owners are hundreds of miles from their smart center so you're in good shape relatively.

judith e powell said:

Gregory Jones said:

Here's to 2011!!

Gregory

6 miles to the dealer...My momma didn't raise no fool...
judith e powell said:
30 miles from a dealer i thought was alot but i guess from what i am hearing you say that i am in pretty "good" shape...one day when i was riding by this place with this cutie sitting right out on the front line  i decided ,at that moment, to drive right in to look at it.   2 minutes later another interested person drove in right behind me but i was already  in the process of buying it, so there is interest out there.   
jwight said:

judith e powell said:

Gregory Jones said:

Here's to 2011!!

Gregory

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos