Every year, there are more and more cars looking for a piece of curb they can nestle up to. And while the amount of space available hasn’t changed, some cars have tricks up their sleeves.

We’re asking our Insiders to help build a list of all the cities and states where you can park perpendicular to the curb. Add a comment to this thread and let us know if you can perpendicular park in your neighborhood.

Tags: USA, car, life, parking, perpendicular, smart

Views: 465

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Unfortunately there is not one city in California where it is allowed.  :( 

Even if the parking area is marked exactly as it is in the picture above (there are some roads in California like the picture above), it is still not considered legal ANYWHERE in California if you read the CA Vehicle Codes and the CA DMV Driver's Handbook.

It's a shame...  :'(

If the parking area was marked as the one in the picture suggests, I would do it even in California*. 

*This is not advice, if you do this it is at your own risk.  I shall not be held liable for any tickets, incidents, or repercussions from this decision.

I have done it many times in Washington DC.

Have had cops tell me not to because "It looks funny"?

BUT, I haven't gotten a ticket YET?

I do usually try to part in front or behind a HUMMER (or other OVERSIZE vehicle) so they are sticking out farther than my smart?

Many traffic laws state that both right tires must be no more than a set distance from the curb, this prevents not only perpendicular parking but parking on the left side of the street, except for one way roads. Since parking fines are less than speeding or traffic violations police tend to go after the "higher value" infractions first, (also the more hazardous). I'd love to see perpendicular parking myself but it would only work for short cars like the smart, can you just see a long bed crew cab pickup truck perpendicular parking?

I see motorcycles parked like this all the time.  Wonder how they get away with it.

Reply to Discussion

find a

smart center

• Add Photos

• Add Videos

© 2015   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service