problems with my smart! owners be on the lookout!

I bought my 09 blue smart passion convertible back in January of 2010 with 6oo miles on it. IT had never been titled , It was used as a marketing display in Arizona.. I love the car but after having the car for only 6 months its been nothing but problems! I need to let everyone who wants or owns a smart My problems with the car! I'm Venting ,yes!

 

*PROBLEMS*

1- oil leak- had to reseal oil pan

2-water in headlight- replaced headlight

3- door hinge popping- replaced hinge

4-head liner loose- reattached head liner

5 -convertible top leaking when rains- said they fixed it

6-oil leak again- put in dye to find leak and after 45 days in the shop REPLACED MOTOR!!!

7- oil leak again- replaced crank seals

8-oil leak again- tightened oil pan bolts

9- emergency brake not working- adjusted cable

10- radio sounds bad- dealer says it’s a cheap car with a cheap stereo SORRY

 

Now let me inform you on what still has a problem

1- oil still leaking even after 5 attemps to fix it!

2- convertible top leaking when it rains

3-stereo still sounds awful

4-bumper bolt stripped and rusting due to bad removal, don't know why they would remove the rear bumper but hey Smart had a chevy dealer replace the motor.  The Smart mechanic could not replace it!

 

Conclusion- SMART USA states as long as it has warranty they will fix it but they have no compassion about my time, gas spent driving to dealership, or my aggravation.........

 

This is TN lemon laws from the TN gov. site.

Tennessee

-Any motor vehicle not including motorized bicycles, motor homes, recreational vehicles or off-road vehicles and vehicles over 10,000 pounds GVW.

-4 repair attempts or 30 calendar days out of service

Warranty period or 1 year.

 

I hope something can be done before i can't take it no more and i have to trade the car!

Views: 800

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm no mechanic, but really!?! It's a block, a gasket, a pan, & some bolts. How can it continue to leak especially when it's a supposedly brand new engine??? This is not rocket science. One of these four elements is causing the problem (unless there's extraordinary pressure building in the pan that can't be vented elsewhere which is unlikely). Sorry, but this seems like a very easy fix. Something is amiss.

Someone with more experience care to chime in?

Tony said:
The dealer states that when they fix one leak another starts.
Have you spoken to the National office? You may want to contact them and let them know about your problems. They may be able to help.
i have and all they say is thats its still under warranty keep taking it back! they will not buy the car back or even give me the extended warranty as a gift for my time and aggrivation.

Y. Beam said:
Have you spoken to the National office? You may want to contact them and let them know about your problems. They may be able to help.
here are some pics of the oil leak and stripped rear bolt!

Tony said:

I'm moving to Miami FL next week and will take the car to a new ddealership with new mechanics and i'll let them try to fix it or just maybe trade me out for a new one! crossing my fingers.......I guess i'll make my territory all the way down lol

I have had one defective tire- Continental reimbursed me for it- no complaints with smart though if I could give them a suggestion they should have a list available of the tire places that either carry are can order the tires quickly
2nd issue is a clicking sound inside the cab that they have been working on for two days, got to give them they are trying hard the problem is that it comes and goes and is hard to find hopefully today they will have it figured, but all in all I love huey and he is worth the effort..
I am with you there he should not be having so many problems and it makes everyone else wonder about theirs...

Fish said:
Sorry that you're having so many problems with your smart.

Changing out the stereo is easy. Once you change out the head unit, there will be a huge difference. If you do the speakers, another huge difference.

I love my smart, but have to say that it would be very tough to continue to think highly of a car or brand that spends more time in the shop than on the road. Even if it was in a wreck and repaired, I wouldn't think that a properly repaired car would have so many problems, and especially the same problem so many times. If I were in charge of Smart, this sounds like a car I would want off of the road because it is a bad example of the brand and has a lot of potential for bad press.

Have you taken the car to a different mechanic to have it looked over?

talked to smart usa today and there regional manager and he said that he will continue fixing the car. I asked him could Smart offer me a complimentery extended warranty and he said no to that as well. So i'm just hoping that smart in miami can fix the car now. Smart has the worst customer service out of any car that i have ever owned. I hope know one else goes thru this agrivation. but word of mouth travels far and as many people come up to me and talk about the car,i'll have nothing good to say! Sorry SMART!Here are some pics of the car at out local car show! a show stopper and now with a bad rep!

Loving my 2008 smart Passion. 26k miles, all mine. Awesome support from my local dealer and mechanic (smartcentermilwaukee, you rock!)

Bought my wife a 2009 Passion this Spring. Best dealer experience ever during the extensive accident repair. story will be on safeandsmart.com soon.

btw, drove the Electric Smart today. wooohoooo!

cheers,

robin850
I'm sure at the end of all of this the car will be fine. just working out the lemons! lol lets hope! showed the car off today and sent another customer to the dealer!

robin850 said:
Loving my 2008 smart Passion. 26k miles, all mine. Awesome support from my local dealer and mechanic (smartcentermilwaukee, you rock!)

Bought my wife a 2009 Passion this Spring. Best dealer experience ever during the extensive accident repair. story will be on safeandsmart.com soon.

btw, drove the Electric Smart today. wooohoooo!

cheers,

robin850
ok ok moved to miami now and let the guys at smart of weston take a look! what a differrance, oil pan resealed, convertable top readjusted (no more leaks), messed up bolt replaced, speakers replace (all), car cleaned and full of gas! now thats what i call service! i have my toy back!!!!!
You did not have a crappy car, you had a very crappy dealer.



Tony said:
ok ok moved to miami now and let the guys at smart of weston take a look! what a differrance, oil pan resealed, convertable top readjusted (no more leaks), messed up bolt replaced, speakers replace (all), car cleaned and full of gas! now thats what i call service! i have my toy back!!!!!
i agree 100% and i let the dealership in both cities know how i felt. very happy now and glad i moved from TN.

Reed Lewis said:
You did not have a crappy car, you had a very crappy dealer.



Tony said:
ok ok moved to miami now and let the guys at smart of weston take a look! what a differrance, oil pan resealed, convertable top readjusted (no more leaks), messed up bolt replaced, speakers replace (all), car cleaned and full of gas! now thats what i call service! i have my toy back!!!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos
  • View All

Videos

  • Add Videos
  • View All

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service