the buzz on the street is that the ED will be unrealistically priced for 99% of us. read it and comment.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/raise-your-hand-if-you-want-a-smar...

Tags: ed, smart

Views: 94

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Sato,
Assumming you are right - that would still be much more cars sold than the current production capacity for electric cars.
Per http://www.worldometers.info/cars/ about 50 million new cars is produced each year in the world. 5 % of that would be 2.5 million cars. That is plenty more than all car companies combined have capacity to produce as electric car.

To put this in a perspective:
Nissan Leaf projected sales for 2011 - 20000
Smart ED projected sales for 2011 - 250

So if you are right and %95 of buyers still buy ICE, that would be a smashing success for Electric Cars. An ufulfilled demand for (2.5 mill - 20k - 250) electric cars :) :) :)

SATO said:
100 mile range will keep 95% of potential buyers away. Unless you live in a very densely populated area where distances are short, it makes no sense. Now if they are able to increase the range to 200 miles per charge and put the top speed limiter to 92mph, then and only then would I purchase one. Until that becomes a reality, it will be just an exercise in "green" thinking and not an actual viable car.
Dariuz, I like your optimism and while your numbers might pan out in the future, I was talking about the smart here in the us alone and not comparing it to any other brand. Ed smarts Vs. ICE smarts.
My wife drives to work every day. She either drives around 8 miles each way, or 30 miles each way (depending if she goes to the train or to subway station). At most she will drive 45 miles each way. The ED smart would be a perfect car for her to drive back and forth to work. If she had to drive into the city, there are more and more places where she can charge it.

Would the ED be the car we would take on long trips, of course not since it would not have the range, but the majority of trips we take are less than 80 miles total.

An ED would work perfectly for us as an additional car.

SATO said:
100 mile range will keep 95% of potential buyers away. Unless you live in a very densely populated area where distances are short, it makes no sense. Now if they are able to increase the range to 200 miles per charge and put the top speed limiter to 92mph, then and only then would I purchase one. Until that becomes a reality, it will be just an exercise in "green" thinking and not an actual viable car.
Rick, Thanks for chiming in. Your input is greatly appreciated and wanted.

I live in Jacksonville Florida, the city that is know for its shear size yet not it's population. Every thing here is quite a ways away and on average someone here will easily drive 20k+ a year. That milage is relevant only if you have two cars. his and hers... If not the milage will be much further north than that.
My job is not the average 9 to 5 and as a regional sales manager, I have been known to put in excess of 35-40k on my cars PER year. I know! I'm not the intended buyer for a smart but then again, smart is not a usual car nor is it mainstream either, and that is right up my alley.
Well... if i remember correctly from when we got to test drive the ED... i think it was mentioned that the current maximium speed on it is only due to the batteries and such being used in the pre-production model, and that it would more than likely be somewhere around the ICE Smart's 90mph limit. I couldn't imagine any company putting out a car that couldn't do over 60mph or so...

Rick: With what you just mentioned.... wouldn't that equate to the "average American" having to recharge the batteries roughly every other day, not "once or twice a week"? If they have a 40-mile round trip commute...
I drive 2 miles to work and 2 miles home, followed by 5-30miles per night for my 2nd job. I plan on having my current 3-banger for the highway and the electric version for the city. One can never have too many little green cars....

Rick Bourgoise said:
Ryan:

Every other day would equate to once or twice a week if this car is used during a five-day work week for commutes.

Rick

Ryan said:
Well... if i remember correctly from when we got to test drive the ED... i think it was mentioned that the current maximium speed on it is only due to the batteries and such being used in the pre-production model, and that it would more than likely be somewhere around the ICE Smart's 90mph limit. I couldn't imagine any company putting out a car that couldn't do over 60mph or so...

Rick: With what you just mentioned.... wouldn't that equate to the "average American" having to recharge the batteries roughly every other day, not "once or twice a week"? If they have a 40-mile round trip commute...
Well.... then it'd be 2-3 times a week.... situationally depending. There's no possible way that the "average american" with a 40-mile round trip work commute would only have to charge it once a week if working a monday-to-friday job. Also have to consider that it probably wouldn't be very likely for someone to buy the car and ONLY use it strictly for commuting to work. I mean yeah... that's what i tend to do with my ForTwo.... but it's not very often that i go out for a night on the town or anything like that, anyway. But i do on occasion do a little bit of joy riding.... be it with the Smart Alec's car club.... or just going somewhere that i want to go..... or the occasional 75+ mile one-way trip to my closest dealer(s)..... at which point i'd really be kinda out of luck without waiting at the dealer til the car charges.

Tesla founder just said that laptop batteries can cost as little as $200 per KWh to produce. (Tesla's strategy is to use laptop batteries because they are cheaper to produce)

You can find this comment at http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-12-07/toyota-adopts-tesla-s-lapt...

In that case Smart ED's battery pack should cost no more than $3200 to produce (16x200).

Smart ED could really be produced so cheap that it could be sold for  $10k or less.

Sell it for $10k and it would sell like hot cakes.

Reed Lewis said:

From someone I trust.... Li-ion batteries are right now around $1000 per KwH. That makes the ~17KwH battery in the Smart ED cost around $17K alone. Add to that the price of the rest of the car, and you understand why it costs so much. The Leaf is around $32k The Volt is going to cost upwards of $40k. I seriously doubt that the other manufacturers are trying to get rich on their electric cars. They are pricing them at what they cost to make.

Again, since they are only making 1000 Smart ED's they only need to appeal to the top 1% of the country anyways. If you cannot afford a Smart ED, then do not buy one. I cannot afford a Rolls Royce. Should I complain about that vehicle and its price?

The ED can't compete with the Nissan Leaf, and the Leaf can't compete in the market even with a $7500 federal subsidy...Auto executives cause bankruptcies, not the UAW...

regarding can't compete: I think it can. Leaf cannot be produced cheap enough to give away. Smart ED can. Consider this, if it really would cost $10k to make it, Smart US could give it away for free in California, collect the $17.5k (federal + california) subsidy and keep the $7.5k subsidy as a pure profit to themselves.

In California Smart could give away Smart ED for free and still make pile of money.

Hypothetizing a business case (while subsidies last - extreme case): Say

1) Smart makes 10 million Smart ED's (1 for each California family) at a cost <$10k.

2) Smart gives them away for free relying on subsidies to generate $7.5 k profit of each amounting to $7500*10000000= $75,000,000,000 or $75 bln dollars.

Enough at stake?

I can't see how families would possibly reject a notion of getting a free Smart ED over any other car be it Leaf or ICE. Free is free even if it came with lowest quality batterries nobody complains about free. Don't like it, don't take it and go and buy a car instead.

Robert Stout said:

The ED can't compete with the Nissan Leaf, and the Leaf can't compete in the market even with a $7500 federal subsidy...Auto executives cause bankruptcies, not the UAW...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service