After the summer was over I noticed that I had the dreaded cracks starting in my roof.  Call my local dealer and they said to come in for a check. 

The dealer took pictures and sent then to Smart who approved the replacement.

The part came in and its being replaced today.

I did not have to wait around.  The dealer provided me a white loaner Smart Car, with power steering (now almost wished I had picked one with that feature, may look again once cruise control becomes a standard option).

Should be ready to pick up tonight.

Just wanted to say thank you to the Cary dealer in NC.

Yes it was replaced under warranty.  I picked it up the same day that I dropped off it off.  The new roof is darker, so now I keep the shade open more often.

Views: 136

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds like a winner. The cruise control will not be standard but an option. If you get cruise control then you do not get the paddles. Smart claims that there is just so much room for wires in the steering column and the new cruise control is wheel mounted
Was it replaced under warranty? I only ask because mine was doing the famous "crazing" thing early on too. I called the dealer (closest one about 140miles away) and was told that this is not a structural problem and would therefore not be replaced.
Jack: if that's what your dealer told you, then you should tell them to talk to someone a bit higher up on the food chain. It's a well known issue with the Smart roof panel. I actually think i read somewhere on here that they now DO have a roof panel that's supposedly "craze"-proof. I've yet to contact my dealer to see if this is true.... but last i asked about replacing my roof panel due to crazing, they didn't say anything to me about having to actually pay for it.
Thank you for the reply. After reading through the comments I printed off some of them for ammo when I call back.

Ryan said:
Jack: if that's what your dealer told you, then you should tell them to talk to someone a bit higher up on the food chain. It's a well known issue with the Smart roof panel. I actually think i read somewhere on here that they now DO have a roof panel that's supposedly "craze"-proof. I've yet to contact my dealer to see if this is true.... but last i asked about replacing my roof panel due to crazing, they didn't say anything to me about having to actually pay for it.
I too had my roof panel replaced (just last week), under warranty. It had crazi-craks also for almost a year but the reason I took my smart in was cause the roof panel came loose at the left rear (I heard wind noises for a long time but didnt know it was the roof until I checked by lifting up at the corner). With the rear window open, I could pry up the top corner and see about a quarter inch clearance. I called the dealer, who said he had a replacement on hand to use but had to confirm with smart by taking a photo before he could say they would replace or reseal. I took it in and it was replaced at no cost. It was a minimum of 4 hour job so I spent 6 hrs total getting it done. This was done in Lindon Utah and I was very pleased with the no hassle service. I just hope the new roof don't crack but the service advisor didn''t think that the manufacturing process had changed and didn't know why they cracked (could be heat, cold, body flex, sunshine etc). Also he was unaware of any other smart having the roof come unglued (its sealed on with the same process as windshields).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service