The local Smart Center in Scarborough, Maine has 2 new 2016 type 453's and I was going to stop in to check it out this weekend, that is before I read the specifications on-line and saw the fuel tank is smaller than my 2008 type 451 by 1 US Gallon!  My first thought is this must be a typo, why would a car that is wider have a smaller fuel tank, so I emailed the Smart Center and they confirmed it.

I have a long commute each day and need to stop every 3-4 days to refuel, so having a smaller tank only exacerbates this situation and has caused me to rethink trading for a 2016.  I may test drive a Ford Fiesta SFE with the 3-cylinder turbo which gets about the same fuel mileage, but has a 50% larger tank.

Bummer!

Views: 387

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

From what I'm finding they are both 33 liter (8.7 gallon) tanks. Maybe the difference is coming from rounding the gallons?

Hello! The tank is smaller however the fuel economy remains the same at 34 city, 36 highway and 38 combined.

Sorry for the confusion - here is further clarification. The fuel economy will not be affected because even though the 2016 fortwo has a smaller tank, the fuel economy is better on the newer engine. Thus, you get the same fuel economy of 34/36/38, however the range will be less since it’s a smaller capacity tank. For example: if you are driving in the city you will get approximately 34 miles to the gallon. Still, since it’s now a smaller tank with less gallons, you will need to fill up a bit more often.

Perhaps Smart designed both models around me...I drive so little, I only need to fill up about once every  6 weeks....I suspect much of Europe drives less than Americans.....Also if on a long trip, your car should not have more range than  your bladder....

Not sure where this info is coming from the manuel says its a 8.7 gal tank same as the 2008 and up. Although I haven't been able to fill 8.7gal, being told you need to fill tank very slowly, some people on other forums even saying that they have gotten 10gallons in????

A few years ago an SCoA member pulled a 451 tank and filled it with water - it held a total of 10 gallons, of which the 8.7 gallons appear to be usable.  The fuel pump is mounted in the tank and needs to be submerged in fuel for cooling (my understanding) so that amount is not usable.  Not sure what is up with the 453 unless it's a new filler neck design causing early filling cutoff? 

Angela Fink said:

Not sure where this info is coming from the manuel says its a 8.7 gal tank same as the 2008 and up. Although I haven't been able to fill 8.7gal, being told you need to fill tank very slowly, some people on other forums even saying that they have gotten 10gallons in????

There is still some confusion as to fuel tank capacity for the new 453. So far, owner's are reporting similar fuel economy ratings and distance traveled between fill-ups as being similar to outgoing 451 model. I would suggest you test drive the new 453. You will be greatly impressed with it's performance and the many new standard features that come with even the base model.

As a sidebar, I do not work for smart. I am just a fan boy who has driven both the 451 and 453 models. Lots to like in the new 453.

The fuel tank in my 2016 453 Passion is not smaller than was in my 2008 or 2013, in fact it is larger.

While you DO have to fill up more often... It doesn't bother me that much.  In the Dodge Dart i had prior to trading it in for my 453, i think i usually got about 400-450 miles on a tank.  Get nearly 250 miles on a fill-up of the Smart.  That may seem bad, but considering it usually cost me around $30 to fill the Dart, and not quite $15 to fill the Smart.... it's ok to me.  Though it would be nice to be able to get CONSISTENT fill-ups like you could in the 451.

I have the 2016 Fortwo and do about 100mi a day commute. Its about 70/30 Highway/City travel, but consistently get over 40mpg on the free way, and around 35 city. In Atlanta, there the traffic is horrid. My fortwo is plagued by the fuel gauge issue, so I usually don't go more than 250ish miles between fill ups, but have gotten well over 300mi before.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2017   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service