I agree. I was also surprised to read about the state of the brand in 2010. I am thankful we're still here. 

http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/1408_smart_ceo_annette...

Views: 878

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think you need to do something about the service on your vehicles. I bought the smart because it was supposed to be economical but they don't tell you about the price of the mandatory service at the dealership. I am broke and now I have to put out $2165.00 to get my smart back in the same exact condition I dropped it off to the dealer in. I am disgusted. I wish I never bought the car. They can't even prove to me they did anything to the car. For all I know they stared at it for the last week and a half!!! The car has done nothing but cost me a fortune for the last 2 years. And, of course, I am told by the service department it is my fault for not bringing it back to them when I needed oil, filters, plugs, or coils. Now they can't guarantee me anything but want another $1500.00 to experiment by changing the valves and, maybe, that will fix it. But, that is not what they said when they told me $2165.00 would fix the problem and they warranty the work for a year of unlimited miles. They changed their script this last phone call because I demanded to speak to the service manager who could say nothing more than "I don't know". Really? $108.00 an hour and you don't know? Isn't this your car? Didn't you sell it to me?

I, honestly, hope you go out of business and never sell another little crappy car!!! Everyone I run into with this car says the same thing, they hate it. They hate that it has to go back to the dealer for any work because the rates are too high!

Well, live, go broke trying to leave less of a carbon foot print, and learn. I learned to ask another question when I go buy a car and that is does it have any mandatory service at landmark milage that cost almost as much as the car did?

No idea what the issue is with your car, but just so you know, no car sold in the US has to be serviced by a brand dealership, per the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act’s (MMWA) .  You can do the service yourself or have it done at an independent shop - just keep a record of what was done when in case a warranty issue comes up.  smart USA even makes the maintenance schedules and DIY advice available on their website: http://owners.smartusa.com/

Francine C Alfano-DeCasien said:

I think you need to do something about the service on your vehicles. I bought the smart because it was supposed to be economical but they don't tell you about the price of the mandatory service at the dealership. I am broke and now I have to put out $2165.00 to get my smart back in the same exact condition I dropped it off to the dealer in. I am disgusted. I wish I never bought the car. They can't even prove to me they did anything to the car. For all I know they stared at it for the last week and a half!!! The car has done nothing but cost me a fortune for the last 2 years. And, of course, I am told by the service department it is my fault for not bringing it back to them when I needed oil, filters, plugs, or coils. Now they can't guarantee me anything but want another $1500.00 to experiment by changing the valves and, maybe, that will fix it. But, that is not what they said when they told me $2165.00 would fix the problem and they warranty the work for a year of unlimited miles. They changed their script this last phone call because I demanded to speak to the service manager who could say nothing more than "I don't know". Really? $108.00 an hour and you don't know? Isn't this your car? Didn't you sell it to me?

I, honestly, hope you go out of business and never sell another little crappy car!!! Everyone I run into with this car says the same thing, they hate it. They hate that it has to go back to the dealer for any work because the rates are too high!

Well, live, go broke trying to leave less of a carbon foot print, and learn. I learned to ask another question when I go buy a car and that is does it have any mandatory service at landmark milage that cost almost as much as the car did?

Hi Francine! Sorry to hear you are having issues with your smart. If you'd like to be put in touch with our customer care team for further assistance, please inbox us your email, VIN and telephone number. 

I think a Forfour will add the range and appeal of the Smart brand. Not having it brought to the US is - IMO - a big mistake. I also think there should be a SUV version of the Forfour and have it sold in the US. I think the Fortwo has its appeal (I am on my second one) but most - IMO - are looking for something with more than just two seats (especially in the US). 

I think it would be really neat to have a new roadster that is also sold in the US (it is apparent I am in the US and grateful that the Fortwo is sold here - really into the Smart brand). 

I think Annette needs some screws tightened.  First, getting rid of the gas powered smart in the USA doesn't make sense.  Electric and hybrid sales are down in this country.  Also, smart electric sales haven't proven to be very good in past years.  You want to know why smarts aren't selling?  The new model is on it's second year and most people in the USA don't even know it's been redesigned.  Why?  Because it's not been marketed well.  And if smart thinks the marketing would be too much money, they should contact me.  I own an advertising agency and could certainly market the brand inexpensively.  If any one here could get me in touch with someone to discuss this, please give me some contact info.  I've owned FOUR (4) smarts in the USA.  I understand them and can market them to the people in this country.

jwight said:

No idea what the issue is with your car, but just so you know, no car sold in the US has to be serviced by a brand dealership, per the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act’s (MMWA) .  You can do the service yourself or have it done at an independent shop - just keep a record of what was done when in case a warranty issue comes up.  smart USA even makes the maintenance schedules and DIY advice available on their website: http://owners.smartusa.com/

Hi J.

I ditched the smart since I wrote this. And, I know you can go to other auto repair shops for work, but the smart requires special size tools and has  specific services at mile stone mileages. 
The car served it's purpose for a time with the heavy commuting and the price of gas a few years back. I am happy to be back in an American SUV that any mechanic can service that is on the higher side of gas efficiency for sport utility. I needed more room than the smart could provide anyway since i own a growing business and run for supplies that can't be delivered quit often.

Good luck with your smart experience.

Francine C Alfano-DeCasien

I service my smart myself.  It sounds to me, like you just have a bad dealership.  Did you try taking the car to any other smart dealer?  Not all dealerships are honest and good.  I'm glad mine is.  I have no complaints.

Ish Ka Bibbles said:

jwight said:

Hi J.

I ditched the smart since I wrote this. And, I know you can go to other auto repair shops for work, but the smart requires special size tools and has  specific services at mile stone mileages. 
The car served it's purpose for a time with the heavy commuting and the price of gas a few years back. I am happy to be back in an American SUV that any mechanic can service that is on the higher side of gas efficiency for sport utility. I needed more room than the smart could provide anyway since i own a growing business and run for supplies that can't be delivered quit often.

Good luck with your smart experience.

Francine C Alfano-DeCasien

Love it!  That would certainly make an impression.

Lloyd Easton said:

You got my vote! The company should advertise something like this: Why are you driving around, commuting in a vehicle that is wasting 75% of its seating capacity at a price $20,000 to $40,000 over the price of a "Smart"? I bought this second smart for that reason. I never needed 4-8 seats to get where I was going 80% of the time. Just saying......

Rob Fozney said:

I think Annette needs some screws tightened.  First, getting rid of the gas powered smart in the USA doesn't make sense.  Electric and hybrid sales are down in this country.  Also, smart electric sales haven't proven to be very good in past years.  You want to know why smarts aren't selling?  The new model is on it's second year and most people in the USA don't even know it's been redesigned.  Why?  Because it's not been marketed well.  And if smart thinks the marketing would be too much money, they should contact me.  I own an advertising agency and could certainly market the brand inexpensively.  If any one here could get me in touch with someone to discuss this, please give me some contact info.  I've owned FOUR (4) smarts in the USA.  I understand them and can market them to the people in this country.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2017   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service