I've been hearing a lot about dealerships closing all across the USA, and I have to say I'm quite concerned. Sales are WAY down, to the point where dealers can't cover their overhead.

Why hasn't Smart USA launched an advertising campaign? Don't they realize that the general American consumer expects to get a great deal of their consumer information from commercials? Especially when it comes to cars? One of the reasons that Honda, Chevy, Ford, Mercedes, BMW and Hyundai are successful is due to their aggressive advertising on TV and radio. Watch a sporting event on television and you're inundated with car ads at every commercial break.

I had to call my insurance company for a claim recently and the customer service representative had to Google "Smart Car" while we were on the phone because she didn't know what it was! And she works for a major auto insurance company!!

I think Smart USA has seriously dropped the ball and have sabotaged their own success in the USA. It would be very disappointing for myself and all the other Smart owners out there if the brand went defunct in the USA and we found our extended warranties are no longer worth anything.

Thoughts?

Tags: advertising, closures, dealerships

Views: 539

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

seriously dropped the ball.

A) i am taking my smart to burgstrom fiat for service not requiring a "smart computer", B) advertising, i made a video of a recent trip on youtube, a "time lapse" of a 180 mile trip in my smart, where i get over 50MPGs in a highway trip with an average speed of 50MPH. smart needs to advertise that smarts get better than EPA ratings, when it's over 75F, i get over 50mpgs on all my travels.  i could sell that video to smart/MB. i'll be making more, longer videos of smart mileage driving. i have a director's account with youtube and post videos longer than 15 minutes of the common mortal "youtuber".

I find it totally ridiculous that I cannot have my Smart Car serviced in MN. The shift module went out and I refuse to pay to have my car towed out of state to have the repairs done. There must be something that can be done. There is always a resolution that can meet the customer’s needs, which in this case is to have a car to drive. All I have heard so for is "I'm sorry, I cannot help you" I am out a vehicle right now with NO idea of when it can be fixed. Impossible in this day and age. From a customer service perspective, this is utterly unacceptable.

Why don't you try and find an independent shop to do the repairs for you?  They or you can order parts from the nearest smart center and have them shipped to you.

I took the car in to the place I normally do and they found the $350.00 part in Chicago but need software to sync it to my car and they don't have it. From what I have heard, access to the software was removed from dealers that used to service Smart Cars in MN. So he can get the part but it is useless without the computer software.

That is a predicament.  I would see if a local Mercedes-Benz dealer can help you.  You could also contact smart directly or as a last result, have the car flat-bedded to the dealer.  If you have to do this, hopefully, you have towing insurance.

Richard Lentsch said:

I took the car in to the place I normally do and they found the $350.00 part in Chicago but need software to sync it to my car and they don't have it. From what I have heard, access to the software was removed from dealers that used to service Smart Cars in MN. So he can get the part but it is useless without the computer software.

The two MB dealers in MN have not agreed to who is going to do the work. They will not do anything and neither will SMART. It is my problem, I have to pay for a tow to Madison 300 miles away.
You could rent a car trailer or tow dolly and tow your smart yourself to the dealer in Madison.  You will need a pick-up or SUV to pull the trailer or dolly.  That would save you some money but would take up at least two days of your time.
I realllllly don't think I should have to arrange for all this much less pay for it. If I had a plane ticket from place A to place B and the airline stopped flying from place A, I don't think I would be expected to pay and find my own way to place to C to get to place B, do you? 
I totally agree with you.  You should not be inconvienced and it is too bad smart doesn't send out a zone rep. to take care of your concern with re-flashing your SAM unit.  If they will not assist you, then I would proceed to get this issue expidited so that your vehicle will be back in service and follow up with a legal claim for the funds and time that you had to provide to solve this issue.  I am sure that smart will argue if there isn't a warranty in place that they have no obligation.  However, there are good faith warranties and sometime you have to fight hard to get to the right person at the zone or manufacturer level to approve the good faith warranty.  Good luck again and I hope you get your smart back in service soon.

Richard Lentsch said:
I realllllly don't think I should have to arrange for all this much less pay for it. If I had a plane ticket from place A to place B and the airline stopped flying from place A, I don't think I would be expected to pay and find my own way to place to C to get to place B, do you? 

I think Smart had an edge in 2008 with uniques and MPG, Now many cars have high MPG. Smarts in Canada and Europe have a 3 cylinder Mercedes diesel engine which is suppose to deliver 70mpg plus. This would be a winner in the USA.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service