eBike is coming to 5 markets (North Olmsted, OH slated to be #5 not mentioned in the article).

http://sustainablog.org/2014/01/smart-bicycle-naias/

Views: 1146

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

1. Horribly over priced.

2. Another 'vehicle' that MB dealers will roll their eyes at and don't want to sell.

MJB 

MJB - When you consider many road bikes cost this much and more and this one gives you power when you need it it may not be too tough of a sell for us. NJ and OH actually raised their hands to sell it. They wanted it. It's definitely a different proposition for us and time will tell.  I think it gives us something new and different to talk about for our brand. 

- E

just imagine how many would sell if it was priced right... dont get it. should be $999

Here are the U.S. specs:

1. Range - 62 miles
2. Weight - 57.5 lbs
3. Charging Time - 4-5 hours (0-100%)
4. Max. Speed - 20 mph
5. Max. Torque - 7.9 lb.-ft.
6. Electric Motor - 350 watt
7. Battery - 423 Wh (lithium-ion)
8. Brakes - 7“ brake dics
9. Energy Recuperation - Yes
10. Gear Shift - 3-speed hub gear system
11. Voltage - 48V
12. Wheelbase - 43.3 inches/3.6 feet
13. Length - 68.3 inches/5.7 feet
14. Height - 39 inches/3.3 feet

That's awesome!

I think that the $3k price tag is perfectly fair, considering its range. I'm not sure it would have that kind of range with me on it, but maybe with a smaller rider. 

I remember 'seeing' smart (in Europe) also working on a Electric Scooter. I am surprised that MBusa accepted the bicycle over here.  If the idea is to use the bike as a 'Marketing tool/conversation piece' then it will be interesting to see what develops. Since the iPhone is being used as a 'Dashboard' I'd guess that narrows down the market. Unless that has changed.

If it ever comes to Florida (Jax) I will glad to test drive it. Speaking of Electric...where's the smart ED?

MJB

I did a little Googling, and the $2950.00 price IS competitive with other ED bikes. So I guess all ED bikes are 'up there' in price. I think 1/3 the price of the car is still hard for me to 'get a grip on'.  I hope folks looking for ED bike will look into the 'new smart'. I think they will sell better in bike shops.

MJB

spicejax said:

1. Horribly over priced.

2. Another 'vehicle' that MB dealers will roll their eyes at and don't want to sell.

MJB 

MJB - smart ED 50-state launch is next month. Not sure about Jax's inventory, etc...

spicejax said:

I remember 'seeing' smart (in Europe) also working on a Electric Scooter. I am surprised that MBusa accepted the bicycle over here.  If the idea is to use the bike as a 'Marketing tool/conversation piece' then it will be interesting to see what develops. Since the iPhone is being used as a 'Dashboard' I'd guess that narrows down the market. Unless that has changed.

If it ever comes to Florida (Jax) I will glad to test drive it. Speaking of Electric...where's the smart ED?

MJB

Bike shops are a possibility. It will be an interesting pilot to see how viable this product is. It's a good marketing/conversation piece as you said. 

spicejax said:

I did a little Googling, and the $2950.00 price IS competitive with other ED bikes. So I guess all ED bikes are 'up there' in price. I think 1/3 the price of the car is still hard for me to 'get a grip on'.  I hope folks looking for ED bike will look into the 'new smart'. I think they will sell better in bike shops.

MJB

spicejax said:

1. Horribly over priced.

MJB 

What concerns me is the frame size. Is it fixed? When you attempt to make a bike that's one-size-fits-all, all you do is make a bike that fits nobody well. I'm 6'1" 245Lbs. I can buy a normal bike that works just fine for my size and weight, But with the Smart ebike's only adjustment seeming to be it's seat post, It will be terribly uncomfortable to ride. 

I like the range, the weight is a little much, i currently have a 30 year old 26" touring bike that weighs about 40 pounds, and i have to lug it up/down 4 flights of stairs, i'll be 54 this year, but i'm going back to the gym, so i may be able to lug that up soon (i'm 5'8" and 130 lbs). i'm looking at moving closer to work and an elevator building, where i could get 1-3 weeks on a charge.

Eric Angeloro - smart USA said:

Here are the U.S. specs:

1. Range - 62 miles
2. Weight - 57.5 lbs
3. Charging Time - 4-5 hours (0-100%)
4. Max. Speed - 20 mph
5. Max. Torque - 7.9 lb.-ft.
6. Electric Motor - 350 watt
7. Battery - 423 Wh (lithium-ion)
8. Brakes - 7“ brake dics
9. Energy Recuperation - Yes
10. Gear Shift - 3-speed hub gear system