Looks like the smart ED will outdistance the Chevy Volt - maybe at half the price? Chevy is claiming only 25 to 50 miles per charge for the Volt.
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2010/09/24/chevy-clarifies-volt-elec...

Including link provided by member Dariusz to report on US power generation capacity:
http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/electricity/epa/epat1p2.html

Including link to article describing installation of public charging outlets by the Dept of Energy:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/10/18/ev.charging.stations/index.html?er...

Thanks for your time.

Let's be careful out there,
Pops and Carlito

Tags: battery, ed, electric

Views: 79

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ya Robert, the range will certainly be an issue in hotter climates. If I could get a true EV (meaning no alternate forms of power or generation on board) for less than $15K that would get me around town on a regular basis, I would be in the market to buy. Until then, I am happy to begin my evolution from heavy carbon use to zero emission by driving my smart as much as possible.
Maybe some SO/2 pills for the ED's to make them last longer?? :)

Wanna try before you buy?

If you live in certain selected markets, check the fleet at your local Hertz rental office.  The company plans to add the smart ED to its fleet, starting this week. The first models will be offered in New York City starting December 15. Hertz will expand the program to Washington, DC during the first quarter of 2011, then San Francisco by mid-year.

Hertz also plans to rent the Nissan Leaf battery-electric vehicle and General Motors’ plug-in hybrid, the Chevrolet Volt. Toyota will use Hertz to field test a plug-in version of the Prius hybrid, as well as the new Mitsubishi I electric car, which will launch in 2012.

From what i've read, the Chevy Volt get's horrible overall mileage anyway, since it's not a fully electric car and supposedly does use the ICE quite often.

Just take your Smart to Pep Boys...They will have it up and running in no time...     LOL

IH8OPEC said:

After my experience thus far with smart in general, I'll take the Volt! (Warranty period is far better and it's not as Ghey looking as the Prius)

Hell smart can't even fix my (and many others) gas powered vehicle correctly. What makes you think they'll understand how an EV works and keep it on the road more than in the shop? 

Ryan said:

From what i've read, the Chevy Volt get's horrible overall mileage anyway, since it's not a fully electric car and supposedly does use the ICE quite often.

Well.... i'm not sure exactly what issues you're having, but mine's been absolutely fine other than the leak at the back hatch glass and oil leak.  And if you're talking about engine problems.... you do have to remember there ARE a whole lot less moving parts in an electric motor than there are in a gas motor.

IH8OPEC said:

After my experience thus far with smart in general, I'll take the Volt! (Warranty period is far better and it's not as Ghey looking as the Prius)

Hell smart can't even fix my (and many others) gas powered vehicle correctly. What makes you think they'll understand how an EV works and keep it on the road more than in the shop? 

Ryan said:

I will take the Volt!  It has an on board generator that makes the number of miles on a trip without having to charge up much better.  If the power is out for a week I would like to drive something and the Volt gives you the option of gas or electric.  Good for Chevy.

smart fortwo takes 3rd place in 'Greenest Cars' list. Hybrid Volt almost off the list!

http://www.walletpop.com/2011/02/17/chevrolet-volt-not-as-green-as-...

Let's be careful out there,

Pops

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos