Picked up a Jack from the Smart Dealer and I am not sure where to store it.  When you look on the website it looks like it should either store behind a seat or in the teilgate.

It does note seem to fit well if the seat is all the way back.  Also if placed in the tailgate it seems to be just a little to thick.  Yes I can close the cover, but it does not look right. The case is about 1/8 to 1/4 inch to wide to fit correctly.

Any thoughts?  Right now I just let it set on the rear storage deck.

Below is the link to the product

http://www.smartmadness.com/servlet/the-585/smart-car-jack-set/Detail

Views: 466

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That I know of there is no jack that smart sells as OEM... so how about a pic of the rascal!
The jack kit sold by Smartmadness does fit in the tailgate. I have the same thing.
Jack? We don need no schtinkin jack
Found a work around. Removed the jack from the jack case. Now the kit fits. Placed the jack on the other side of the tailgate. I will add additional tools to the jack case to make tool kit.
Went down to the local Harbor Freight store, bought a jack, breaker bar, 15mm socket and a tire plug kit. All for approx. $40.00. You already have the 12v compressor for reinflating the tire. That's all you need for minor repairs on the road. Everything fits nicely in the tailgate wrapped in some old t-shirts to prevent rattling noises.
I bought a small scissors jack at the local you pick-it junk yard for $7.00, wrapped a towel around it and store it in the tail gate. Lug wrench from junk yard is a couple of bucks, or Northern Tool - Harbor Freight breaker bar and socket for a few bucks.
Anyone used a trolley jack, and/or stowed it in the smart?
I used velcro to secure everything, jack, handle, lug wrench in the tailgate. Works great, no rattles.
I used an old coat to wrap my jack so it won't rattle. If I'm wearing decent clothes, the coat comes in handy if I have to lay down on the ground.
Looks like a snug fit from the pics. I'm planning on getting the smart roadside kit, so the tailgate storage would be out for me. Here's what I'm thinking of doing for a spare and a jack. I love to work with wood, so I was thinking of a shallow box, open on the bottom end to sit over a spare tire and jack in the trunk. I'd cover it with a nice fabric and put velcro on the rim of the box, which would go on the floor of the trunk. I would lose some space, but it wouldn't preclude being able to put shopping or a large gym bag in the boot.

Something I'm toying with.
I havent seen any pic's of the roadside kits yet. I picked up a covered plastic tool tray from The Container Store / Houston, and stocked it with the tools I may need. It fits nicely in the tailgate compartment along with the jack. Just received my spare wheel & tire today. I'll have the tire mounted and balanced, and drop it behind the seat.

Gordon Nore said:
Looks like a snug fit from the pics. I'm planning on getting the smart roadside kit, so the tailgate storage would be out for me. Here's what I'm thinking of doing for a spare and a jack. I love to work with wood, so I was thinking of a shallow box, open on the bottom end to sit over a spare tire and jack in the trunk. I'd cover it with a nice fabric and put velcro on the rim of the box, which would go on the floor of the trunk. I would lose some space, but it wouldn't preclude being able to put shopping or a large gym bag in the boot.

Something I'm toying with.
I went down to the local Wally-world, picked up two of the blue closed-cell foam sleeping pads, made a pattern with paper of the tailgate compartment, cut out the sleeping pads, and glued them together (contact cement). Trimmed to fit, and made it snug so it stays in the tailgate. Next, I traced all the stuff I wanted to keep in there (jack, breaker bar, sockets, folding Torx set, tire gauge, etc.), and cut away foam just deep enough to allow each part to sit flush with the surface. No rattles, easy access. No pics (I will, soon, I hope, if I can just get my smart back from the dealership!)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service