If it exists, there’s an app for it.

Case in point: smart cross connect, a bespoke app for the 2016 smart fortwo coupe. The app maximizes the advantages of driving a smart by inviting owners to upload and rate snaps of free smart parking spaces. That’s right: you can now crowd-source your next parking spot. On the road, the app analyzes your driving behavior for a comprehensive profile and even awards a Car Score for driving efficiency. The app even reminds where you parked your car, so you'll never have to go through that moment of key-pressing panic. And then there’s the downloadable map feature. By ditching reliance on GPS and roaming data, these maps let you stay on route even when connectivity is a struggle. The app’s AUPEO! streaming service lets you select the perfect soundtrack for your road trip. Finally, smart offers a dashboard mount to make the whole experience seamless. Learn more about the app: http://www.smart-magazine.com/en/smart-cross-connect-app/

Views: 706

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Voice control on the overwhelming majority of multimedia systems is not functional enough to comb through all the features of your phone either.  You can place calls and perhaps run through navigation, but that's about it.  It appears to be voice control or bust with you.  I'm fine with that.  You have your preferences. 

But for many other folks, the cross connect app is just fine.  It will likely get better in the future.  You see the voice activation button on the steering wheel?  It works with foreign versions of the app.  Maybe the U.S. will integrate it someday.  Who knows, I hope it does.  The smartphone cradle is fine, if you manage to fit your phone into it.  Other than that, I've made my points very well.  I'm not interested in legal arguments about laws I never advocated breaking, regardless of your allegations.

At this point, I have no other points to make other than the ones I've already made. 

You may say you never advocated breaking laws in regards to multimedia system use in a vehicle... but your constant comments about Android Auto and Apple Car Play limiting what you can use on your phone, and them being "middle-man apps" kinda makes it seem like you'd WANT to.

And no... the voice control systems built into the vast majority of vehicles ISN'T usually functional enough to do much of anything, let alone do rudimentary things like place calls and send text messages... but I'm pretty sure Android Auto and Apple Car Play.... those two things you call "Useless"... help immensely with exactly that.  Essentially using the voice control features of your PHONE to perform actions, not some crappy third-party voice recognition software that can hardly understand a word you're saying.

And i'd love to see a source as to where you got your information about the Voice button on the steering wheel working with the foreign version of the Cross Connect app... cause as far as i'm aware, that's only functional with the multimedia head unit itself, not the app.

Something wrong with pulling over to use your phone and hopping back on the road?  You can pull over and use your phone, and get back into traffic very quickly with the phone neatly in the smartphone cradle. 

You can pull over and use Apple Carplay and Android Auto in other cars, and even parked you can't access all features and functions of your phone.  Not even parked.  Both of those apps limit your phone functionality because the app has to be designed and optimized for your operating system.  With so many varying phones, the app sticks to only the most popular functions. 

If you are driving, I'm plenty satisfied with the limited functionality of the cross connect app which includes navigation, radio station presets, the Pandora-lite app, fuel economy, etc,.  Am I supposed to dislike the app because Chas does?  Or dislike the cradle because some others don't? 

What is your stance on the cradle, and the cross connect app?

Ryan said:

You may say you never advocated breaking laws in regards to multimedia system use in a vehicle... but your constant comments about Android Auto and Apple Car Play limiting what you can use on your phone, and them being "middle-man apps" kinda makes it seem like you'd WANT to.

And no... the voice control systems built into the vast majority of vehicles ISN'T usually functional enough to do much of anything, let alone do rudimentary things like place calls and send text messages... but I'm pretty sure Android Auto and Apple Car Play.... those two things you call "Useless"... help immensely with exactly that.  Essentially using the voice control features of your PHONE to perform actions, not some crappy third-party voice recognition software that can hardly understand a word you're saying.

And i'd love to see a source as to where you got your information about the Voice button on the steering wheel working with the foreign version of the Cross Connect app... cause as far as i'm aware, that's only functional with the multimedia head unit itself, not the app.

Personally, i feel the cradle SHOULD have been designed differently, to be usable with larger phones without modifications like I did to mine, or without risking breaking it like you seem to be doing when cramming that Nexus 6 into it.

The Cross Connect app?  Waste of my time.  The navigation software is decidedly meh (would rather use Google Maps).  The "Pandora-Lite" equivalent aspect of it I've never touched, since i'd rather not waste data just for music.  Can hardly call it a "Fuel Economy" gauge, better off using what's in the instrument panel IMHO.  But my BIGGEST pet peeve with the app?  Why put forth the effort to design an app to take control of multimedia functions, but NOT try to figure out how to be able to control music that's on a USB flash drive inserted into the radio?  On top of that, If you ARE listening to music on a thumb drive, and you start up the Cross Connect app, it automatically switches to the radio, and you have to play a fingertip tap-dancing game with the Media button to get it back to playing music from the flash drive... but then it doesn't show any information on the phone.

I'm not stretching or twisting or exerting any additional pressure on the cradle.  None whatsoever.  I just have that one bottom corner of the phone that doesn't tuck in, but otherwise there is the same threat of damaging or breaking the cradle as if the phone fit "perfectly."  I don't have any of these problems with the cc app because I close it when I'm not using it.  If I'm playing my iPod, I'm playing my iPod and have no need for the cc app.

But I hear ya...  my biggest issue is that the cradle and app is being described as "useless" by some.  Perhaps I shouldn't be argumentative and I should just state my case on my own thread.  But how can I do that without being disagreeable?  I've had people right in front of me tell me their phone "doesn't fit" and I say "let me show you how to put it in the cradle so you can use your phone."  Then I do it, most people usually say "OH" and feel a sense of relief and go about their day.  And we all talk about the one little corner hanging out.  Eventually somebody will come out with a larger cradle.  Eventually I'm sure the cc app will be improved.  I'm anxious waiting for that dust to settle.

I don't use the CC app all that often, no need to on my daily commute, but it has come in handy on some longer trips. I find it easier to program the radio using the app than the radio buttons. I do think there could be better engine monitoring with the app, I'd rather have numbers than graphics and the option to choose what to show. I have a scangauge hooked into the OBD port and read volts, water temp, speed and MPG average but there are many more displays I can call up. The color display on the dash is lame, scrolling through the menu to find the water temp and then having to concentrate to figure what the temp is  takes too much time from reading the road ahead, scangauge's numerical display tells me at a glance what I want to know. Smart car drivers on SCOA know the inaccuracy of the smart's speedo and I've adjusted the scangauge's speedo function was calibrated via radar and GPS. The inputs are already there, the app just needs to be tweaked to be really useful. I do admit I find the 15 minute MPG display more easier to understand than the smart driving through desert to forest, what are the values for each scene anyway? I give marks  for the phone cradle though, it fits my Kyocera Brigadier just fine. If I'm not using the phone I remove the holder, Voila! it's not blocking the buttons!

Kamaal said:

My suggestion to overheating phone would be to ensure that you are using the original power/charge cable or equivalent.  That means no gas station chargers, or random cables.  Use the original one with this cradle.  

Another suggestion is to make sure you aren't running too many apps at the same time with a fully illuminated screen.  Turn down the brightness if necessary.  Actually, I was talking about with the phone not even being used, just plugged in, held in the holder.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2017   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service