My Smart will not go into reverse or drive. The Smart Dealship suggested I bring it in to identify the problem, I asked if there is documentation of problems with the Transmission in the Smart cars? Their reply was"I don't know"

Views: 302

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Looks like your car is out of warranty but there are several well documented issues with the transmission: http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1467785

Don't which dealer you called but if the person you talked with gave you the "I don't know" response ask to speak to the manager and have them get on the phone to smart USA ASAP.  This transition period between Penske and Mercedes will be tough and you may have to wait until July 1st and get Mercedes USA involved.

Hello.  My car had the same problem.  I was finally able to coax the shifter into indicating "D" and was able to get it into the dealer without a tow.  Turned out it was a problem with the computer and after being "reprogramed" the .problem was fixed and hasn't happened again.  The repair was covered by Mercedes Benz even though the car was out of warranty.  REPEAT.  The repair was covered by Benz even though the car was out of warranty.  You need to latch onto the #1 smart technician at your dealer and work only with him, so get his name.

Best of luck,

Sanford

hello,

my car is periodically doing the same thing, and wondering if there is a recall on it.  there is a mercedes benz dealer right down the street.  should i take it in there?  the smart dealership 30 minutes away closed down.

also wanting to take my smart across country but worried about no spare.  any idea's?  is it possible to put some kind of trailer hitch on smart for cross country trip?  I wanna put luggage on trailer and leave a little room in back of car

thx

Sanford Blackwell said:

Hello.  My car had the same problem.  I was finally able to coax the shifter into indicating "D" and was able to get it into the dealer without a tow.  Turned out it was a problem with the computer and after being "reprogramed" the .problem was fixed and hasn't happened again.  The repair was covered by Mercedes Benz even though the car was out of warranty.  REPEAT.  The repair was covered by Benz even though the car was out of warranty.  You need to latch onto the #1 smart technician at your dealer and work only with him, so get his name.

Best of luck,

Sanford

Mary Ann, what shop did you take your car to?

MJB

Your transmission is losing it's programming.

Most common reason is when you are shifting into reverse, you are still rolling forward and the sensor gets confused which gear it should be in?

When this happens, put your foot on the brake and SLOWLY go P-R-N-D-N-R-P (making sure the gearshift clicks into each gear).

Watch the dash display, it should show the gear it thinks it is in.

Sometimes you have to do this 2 or three times?

I have had it happen to me on more than one occassion, just one more thing to learn about the smart

Come to a COMPLETE stop BEFORE shifting into R ?!?!?!

U-haul carries the CURT trailer hitch for the smart.  (I have seen hitch +install for $250 at U-haul)

1100 lb  MAX towing capacity (less is better).  anything you can tow with a motorcycle should work?

Officially the smart is not rated to tow anything.  If you look around the internet you will find discussion boards where people talk about towing with the smart. I would try to go as light as you can.

Wallace Rumbarger said:

U-haul carries the CURT trailer hitch for the smart.  (I have seen hitch +install for $250 at U-haul)

1100 lb  MAX towing capacity (less is better).  anything you can tow with a motorcycle should work?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service