smart electric drive could be first EV with battery lease in the US

In an interview with Autoblog, Smart USA General Manager Tracey Matura, stated the smart electric drive may be the first electric vehicle in the United States to provide a battery lease: http://smart.cr/WdfRuu.  This would set a precedent for American EVs, addressing the prospective driver’s concern on battery life.

What are your thoughts on the article and the possibility of battery leasing? Would this create enough incentive to purchase a smart electric drive? Let us know your thoughts.

Tags: drive, electric, ev, smart, vehicle

Views: 1047

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I did not hear any $500 deals...I did hear an offer of a $10 gift card to a lady, if she did a test drive in BOTH the "ED" and GAS cars.

Jerry

I testdrove a smart electric in Santa Monica on April 19. The next day I received an email with a link to a $500 certificate towards the purchase or lease of any new smart. The only problem was the certificate had an expiration date of 04/21/2010. I don't know if the dealer will honor it.

Arvind Kumar said:

I heard that at the Santa Monica funtestdrive, anyone who test drives the ED3 is being offered $500 off the purchase of a new ED3. Can anyone confirm this? Is this just for Santa Monica or will it be the case for test drives at other locations too?

Battery Lease - A great idea, however, why not do what Honda did with the 2000-06 Insight, and just guarantee the battery for 100,000 miles

Don't forget to add $2000 for "service" to change out that battery.  My stealer won't replace a wiper blade for $75 or update the bugs in the software.  I think only the plastic pens at the cashier are less than $75.

Arvind Kumar said:

This article just came out:

http://insideevs.com/smart-to-offer-battery-rental-in-the-us/

Summary: lease price $19,500 plus battery rental of $75/month for 10 year lease for minimum 80% capacity. All figures are estimates based on European prices.

My fuel bill on my Smart is a LOT less than $75/month!  It recharges in 90 seconds, not 4-8 hours and goes for weeks between "charges".  For the $20K difference in price + $75/mo fleece + trying to trade in an electric car that has NO BATTERY, because I wouldn't own it, anyone must be crazy to buy one.

All this is a moot point if the government follows through on its promises to reduce power plant emissions.  The only way that's going to happen is rationing of electricity, which is easily done with the new digital, load-shedding electric meters now installed across the country.  You'll be told what level of residential electric use is acceptable for you each month.  I'm hoping against hope it will be the same level for each electric meter, but the 1% millionaires will have that hope smashed the instant their power meter shuts down the mansion on the 12th of the month for the rest of the month.

How are we supposed to recharge an electric car when the power is rationed to 5KwH/month?....

Larry Butler said:

My fuel bill on my Smart is a LOT less than $75/month!  It recharges in 90 seconds, not 4-8 hours and goes for weeks between "charges".  For the $20K difference in price + $75/mo fleece + trying to trade in an electric car that has NO BATTERY, because I wouldn't own it, anyone must be crazy to buy one.

You could convert your batteryless Smart with a large drive wheel of 30 energetic hamsters...They will probably live as long as a leased lithium battery, and you won't need to worry about your Smart bursting into flames....Except for limited inner city driving, the E-Smart makes no sense at all...

Arvind Kumar said:

Feedback on the smart ED3 from the test drive event in Santa Monica from my nephew-in-law: 

-          Very quiet but makes a bit of a humming noise while you are driving so that pedestrians can hear you.  I thought this was a nice feature and wasn’t annoying at all.  Completely quiet when at a stop.

-          Decent acceleration and pretty smooth.

-          Handled pretty well.  Felt sturdy when taking turns.

-          Range of 60-90 miles depending how you drive.

-          As you guys already have a Prius you understand how to drive this as it is the same idea behind recharging while breaking and all of that.

-          Standard aux cable to connect to music.  Bluetooth is extra feature.

-          It can be charged on a standard 110 V electric outlet but it takes an overnight charge.

-          If you build a 240 V charging station in your home, it costs about $1,800 and you can get a government credit of $2,500.  It will charge on this in 6 hours.

-          Up to $7,500 in government subsidies but it depends on a lot of different variables especially your socioeconomic status.

-          Downfalls included view out of the back.  It is a small window that doesn’t give a full view to what is behind you.

-          Supposedly very safe but feels like some of these bigger cars could do some major damage to you in an accident.

-          Extremely limited trunk space.  You can put a few bags of groceries in there but really can’t transport much other than that.

-          You can fit 2 of these cars in one parking space which I thought was pretty cool.

-          In some states you can park against the curb, head in.

you can fit a 40 inch tv in the back with a few bag of groceries so...... NOT minimal cargo space, more space than you think

Larry Butler said:

i bet your smart sits for 4-8 hours turned off, the electric is better than the gas 

Brandon said:

Larry Butler said:

i bet your smart sits for 4-8 hours turned off, the electric is better than the gas 

Yes, it does a lot, but, alas, there would be no place to plug in even a minimal charger, so your point is moot.  WalMart and Publix don't do chargers...

Larry Butler said:

Brandon said:

Larry Butler said:

Yes, it does a lot, but, alas, there would be no place to plug in even a minimal charger, so your point is moot.  WalMart and Publix don't do chargers...

Well i've never had to plug in anywhere other than home, i can go 4 days without charging, guess the range doesnt suit you but its absolutely perfect for me.

This is a fair price for the original leasee of the battery...My question is how many buyers of a five year old EV Smart would want to absorb a $75 a month battery lease ??? This could harm the resale value of EV Smarts....

Arvind Kumar said:

This article just came out:
http://insideevs.com/smart-to-offer-battery-rental-in-the-us/

Summary: lease price $19,500 plus battery rental of $75/month for 10 year lease for minimum 80% capacity. All figures are estimates based on European prices.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service