smart electric drive could be first EV with battery lease in the US

In an interview with Autoblog, Smart USA General Manager Tracey Matura, stated the smart electric drive may be the first electric vehicle in the United States to provide a battery lease: http://smart.cr/WdfRuu.  This would set a precedent for American EVs, addressing the prospective driver’s concern on battery life.

What are your thoughts on the article and the possibility of battery leasing? Would this create enough incentive to purchase a smart electric drive? Let us know your thoughts.

Tags: drive, electric, ev, smart, vehicle

Views: 1038

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

it should be an option, as it addresses a potentially deal-breaking aspect of EV ownership for some. if the battery is leased, the vehicle price needs to clearly reflect that.

It all depends on the cost of the car and the cost of the battery lease...The terms of the lease are important to me, as I only drive less than 5,000 miles a year...I am very sensitive to attempts to screw me...

Buy, lease- who cares?  JUST GET ME ONE, PLEASE!!  I've been strung along for two years here in Ohio. My dealer (Cincinnati) told me this week that the zero-emmision states are getting EV's first, so we may not get them in our area until 9/13- really??  The Volt is looking more attractive all the time, not to mention offerings from Ford, Nissan, Honda, etc...

George Rheinsmith said:

Buy, lease- who cares?  JUST GET ME ONE, PLEASE!!  I've been strung along for two years here in Ohio. My dealer (Cincinnati) told me this week that the zero-emmision states are getting EV's first, so we may not get them in our area until 9/13- really??  The Volt is looking more attractive all the time, not to mention offerings from Ford, Nissan, Honda, etc...

stout said                 If you like the Volt, you would have loved the Edsel...Best advice---Wait several years for less expensive batteries with longer range...

This article just came out:

http://insideevs.com/smart-to-offer-battery-rental-in-the-us/

Summary: lease price $19,500 plus battery rental of $75/month for 10 year lease for minimum 80% capacity. All figures are estimates based on European prices.

Drove "ED" today---NICE RIDE. I put a few photos up ;-}

Photos? What photos? Where.

Jerry Crocker said:

ED3s have arrived in Kitchener, Ontario dealerships. See report and photos at:

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f170/got-my-new-smart-ed-ca...
Found the photos! Thanks for posting. How did the test drive feel?
http://www.smartusainsider.com/photo

Arvind Kumar said:
Photos? What photos? Where.

Jerry Crocker said:

Feedback on the smart ED3 from the test drive event in Santa Monica from my nephew-in-law: 

-          Very quiet but makes a bit of a humming noise while you are driving so that pedestrians can hear you.  I thought this was a nice feature and wasn’t annoying at all.  Completely quiet when at a stop.

-          Decent acceleration and pretty smooth.

-          Handled pretty well.  Felt sturdy when taking turns.

-          Range of 60-90 miles depending how you drive.

-          As you guys already have a Prius you understand how to drive this as it is the same idea behind recharging while breaking and all of that.

-          Standard aux cable to connect to music.  Bluetooth is extra feature.

-          It can be charged on a standard 110 V electric outlet but it takes an overnight charge.

-          If you build a 240 V charging station in your home, it costs about $1,800 and you can get a government credit of $2,500.  It will charge on this in 6 hours.

-          Up to $7,500 in government subsidies but it depends on a lot of different variables especially your socioeconomic status.

-          Downfalls included view out of the back.  It is a small window that doesn’t give a full view to what is behind you.

-          Supposedly very safe but feels like some of these bigger cars could do some major damage to you in an accident.

-          Extremely limited trunk space.  You can put a few bags of groceries in there but really can’t transport much other than that.

-          You can fit 2 of these cars in one parking space which I thought was pretty cool.

-          In some states you can park against the curb, head in.

Re:>>few bags of groceries We put a FULL shopping cart load in the back of our smart car.

Had a 47" flat screen TV and other odd items. ;-)

I too did the test drive of the "ED" car. It was a fun drive.

I heard that at the Santa Monica funtestdrive, anyone who test drives the ED3 is being offered $500 off the purchase of a new ED3. Can anyone confirm this? Is this just for Santa Monica or will it be the case for test drives at other locations too?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service