When I go to put my smartie in reverse, it keeps hanging up in netural.  Has anyone else had this problem?

Views: 917

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

YES. There's a transmission software upgrade (free) that you can get at the dealership. I got it and that problem stopped.

Aloha,

My 2009 does this from time to time, even though it has been to the dealer I guess they do not automatically upgrade the software. Anyway, the easiest and cheapest "fix" is to just simply do this:

1) Come to a complete stop.

2) Pause briefly before shifting.

The only time mine hangs up is when I rush the shift, or roll while shifting (such as when on a hill).

Is the hill holder not working?

Beachbum said:

Aloha,

My 2009 does this from time to time, even though it has been to the dealer I guess they do not automatically upgrade the software. Anyway, the easiest and cheapest "fix" is to just simply do this:

1) Come to a complete stop.

2) Pause briefly before shifting.

The only time mine hangs up is when I rush the shift, or roll while shifting (such as when on a hill).

Ours is doing this occasionally, today my fiance took the car 225 mi to work and had to stop for a red light, the car didn't want to go! He said he had to reverse and then it went ok. Hmmm. Wish someone had a better answer!! Ours is an 08.

Check out our FAQ section: http://www.smartusainsider.com/faq#faq05. Try out these fixes and let us know afterwards if you are still having issues.

It says nothing about being in drive, stopping and not being able to go forward again. Like I said, he had to reverse, then put it back in drive and it was ok. The car is an automatic, so shifting and the clutch or grinding gears isn't an issue. Thanks anyways, Nancy

It isn't really an automatic; it's a five-speed automated manual transmission.  Don't let the lack of a clutch pedal and the "D" on the dash fool you - there is actual gear shifting happening even in what's referred to as the "auto" mode.  Since the car is an 08, you need to verify that it has had all the software updates installed.  The first one helped the shifting some - if you can use either paddle on the steering wheel (assuming it isn't the Pure model) to go into manual shifting and then hold the right paddle for a few seconds to get back into "auto" it's had that first update.  If the paddles won't do that the car needs a software update.

Nancy Gale said:

It says nothing about being in drive, stopping and not being able to go forward again. Like I said, he had to reverse, then put it back in drive and it was ok. The car is an automatic, so shifting and the clutch or grinding gears isn't an issue. Thanks anyways, Nancy

I know nothing about any paddles, but my fiance mentioned something about that tonight, I will pass it on to him and see what happens. Thanks. I don't know what u mean by the other part, my car is an auto and it does shift too. It's automatically shifting, not like a 5 speed, or my motorcycle or when I drove semi. Oh well, I really appreciate the pointer!! I hope I can figure out something and can help someone else out! Have a great night!

My Smart went into neutral while I was driving it last night. Had to pull over, then it wouldn't start. Had a tow back to my office where we tried three things:

1) Unhooked  battery for 30 minutes.

2) Tried "rebooting" transmission (Place the gear lever into the P (park) position, turn off the engine and wait at least 30 seconds, Press the brake pedal, Start the car (it would NOT crank), Wait for the transmission to complete the teach-in process, When complete, the ≡ should change to N (It didn't)

Instead of "P" or "N" (for park or neutral) I have this: (see pic)

Further investigation is saying that my "clutch actuator" has broken. This is not an inexpensive fix, and totally not my fault. I have an EARLY (one of the first in the USA) 2008 Passion models. It has just over 37,000 miles on it. I'm having to pay a LOT of $$ to have it towed for service (since my local dealership closed in 2010)

I so can't afford this.

HELP

Here's what they're going to do: http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f183/clutch-actuator-mainte...   In your case, they'll replace rather than service the clutch actuator.

Look around on eBay and on SCoA to see if any are for sale, or do a search on one of the online auto parts sites.  They are fairly simple to change - any decent mechanic can do it.

Julie O'Malley said:

My Smart went into neutral while I was driving it last night. Had to pull over, then it wouldn't start. Had a tow back to my office where we tried three things:

1) Unhooked  battery for 30 minutes.

2) Tried "rebooting" transmission (Place the gear lever into the P (park) position, turn off the engine and wait at least 30 seconds, Press the brake pedal, Start the car (it would NOT crank), Wait for the transmission to complete the teach-in process, When complete, the ≡ should change to N (It didn't)

Instead of "P" or "N" (for park or neutral) I have this: (see pic)

Further investigation is saying that my "clutch actuator" has broken. This is not an inexpensive fix, and totally not my fault. I have an EARLY (one of the first in the USA) 2008 Passion models. It has just over 37,000 miles on it. I'm having to pay a LOT of $$ to have it towed for service (since my local dealership closed in 2010)

I so can't afford this.

HELP

Thanks... the tow truck just pulled away on its way to Smart Madness. I sent all the documentation I could find (including the part about the clutch/actuator possibly being defective due to a materials defect from earlier in this same thread). Boris & Rachel are friends and I know their guy Art will do me right.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service