I am wondering if I can install a lower temperature  thermostat to my Smart Passion 2009.  The temp here is almost all the time above 80 F and even higher in the traffic jams . I would like the thermostat to open earlier and compensate better for the high temps outside. I did lower my wrangler to 185 from 195 and is performing better. The difference is that the Smart motor is in an aluminum block and the Jeep is an iron

one. I do not know at what temp the Smart therm. opens. Do any of our Smart owners know? Would like to see your comments on this. Would the computer and sensors be affected or give different readings.

Pls advice!!!!!  Tks!

Views: 13

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would recommend that you leave the thermostat alone. The thermostat is a temperature regulating device. The engine coolant needs to reach operating temperature quickly so that the engine computer goes into closed loop. This prevents excessive emissions. As long as a thermostat opens at its preset temperature, the engine will not overheat. The system is designed around the proper temperature thermostat.
Robert said it all. Messing with the t stat is what was done on cars before computers, fuel management, and emission control systems. You will see no benefit from changing your t stat temperature rating in a modern vehicle in normal use.
Too cool keeps engine from driving off condensation out of the oil.
Condensation of the products of combustion (water vapor) mixed with oil and other contaminates is a bad soup that is not as effective as oil in lubricating and protecting your engine. Ideal operating temperature range will be maintained by your operating thermostat as designed by Mitsubishi/MB engineers.
Gotta Love It and in this case, leave it be.

JohnnyM said:
Robert said it all. Messing with the t stat is what was done on cars before computers, fuel management, and emission control systems. You will see no benefit from changing your t stat temperature rating in a modern vehicle in normal use.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service