Hi All
Has anyone any experience of blowouts!
I put 4 new tyres on the car in March '14 (5 weeks ago) and now have had two blowouts on the Merritt Parkway in the past 2 weeks!!  On both occasions I had to be towed off the Merritt and the value broke off during the blowout.  As one can imagine, having a blowout is not an enjoyable experience but it has slowed me down considerably!  I am beginning to lose faith / confidence in driving it even though I have 56k miles in the past 4 years!!
Can anyone help me understand this better or has anyone had the same issue?  I can't believe this is just bad luck!
Thanks
Enda 

Tags: tires

Views: 98

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What caused them - debris in the road, nails, potholes, etc?  Lots of missing info here....

Nothing that I could find. On both occasions I was traveling on a relatively smooth road and had no reason to suspect anything that interfered with the tires.  That is the reason I am both frustrated and concerned.  

One of the questions I have to ask is why are the valves breaking?  On both occasions there was no valve left for me to try to blow up the tire!  They were simply not visible and one had broken in 2!
I can accept one blowout but not two in 10 days with only 300 miles apart!!  In the 4 years prior to this I never had one!!

Thx 

Did the new tires have the TPMS installed when they were put on?  What brand are the tires?  Modern tires rarely if ever blow out.  Whoever installed the new tires may have damaged the TPMS valve stems when fitting the new tires.  I'd get a second opinion from another tire shop or your smart center as to what may have caused the blowouts - something isn't adding up  for sure. 

Enda McGovern said:

Nothing that I could find. On both occasions I was traveling on a relatively smooth road and had no reason to suspect anything that interfered with the tires.  That is the reason I am both frustrated and concerned.  

One of the questions I have to ask is why are the valves breaking?  On both occasions there was no valve left for me to try to blow up the tire!  They were simply not visible and one had broken in 2!
I can accept one blowout but not two in 10 days with only 300 miles apart!!  In the 4 years prior to this I never had one!!

Thx 

It looks to me that the failure was caused by corrosion of the TPMS valves causing an instant air out on your tires. I would look into TPMS valve replacements. Harsh winter weather conditions can cause the aluminum valves to corrode & break off.

Robert Ricewasser said:

It looks to me that the failure was caused by corrosion of the TPMS valves causing an instant air out on your tires. I would look into TPMS valve replacements. Harsh winter weather conditions can cause the aluminum valves to corrode & break off.

Thanks for this and this is what the Tire installer is saying.  He claims that the valves have broken off and that this is serious issue for the safety of the vehicle.  On both occasions the values were broken and sitting loose in the tire well.  
I am curious why this would not be covered by Smart in communications on cars over 5 years old!!  And why this would not automatically be covered by them.  I am very worried about the remaining two tires now and plan to visit a Smart dealership. But I contacted my one in Fairfield, CT, and they claimed they never heard of the problem!  I am not sure how helpful they are going to be!  But the experience has really undermined by confidence in the vehicle.  And I was the biggest fan in telling everyone how much I loved this car!
E

You do not need the smart Center. Just go to a proper tire shop that is familiar with TPMS sensors. If the nuts were loose, the tire shop that you went to should have caught this when they mounted and balanced the tires and properly tightened us the nuts on the sensor stem. You can order aftermarket sensors that will work. I believe the sensors for a Jeep Wrangler will fit our smarts, but check to make sure.

OK, that helps a lot.  This is not only inconvenient but a safety issue as well.  It should be reported to the NHTSA as a safety issue, IMHO - you can report online at: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Second thing is to open a case with smart USA using their 800 number; if the TPMS valves failed due to corrosion smart USA needs to address that, again IMHO.

Last thing - why didn't the tire installer notice the corrosion when the new tires were being fitted?  Part of that process should be to inspect all wheel components with the tire off.  I think the installer bears part of the blame on this one.

Interesting article on this issue: http://www.tirereview.com/Article/106377/weigh_in_is_oe_tpms_sensor...

I have taken to having the TPMS valve stems replaced anytime someone has to take a tire off the rim if they look at all corroded.  I had some break with my first smart when I was swapping out a set of rims and found that it was fairly cheap to get the TPMS rebuild kits.  that said, I have probably 150,000 miles over three smarts and no blowouts.  I do carry a spare but have only had to use it once.

The TPMS repair kits that have the valve stem are around $15 - I get mine from Advance auto.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service